• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Balaclava question, what do you all wear??

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Hello I have been havin constant trouble with finding a good balaclava to wear one that is not a thick hot one , one mostly for keepin the cold breeze away and long enough down the neck of my riding jacket that I don`t get the cold breeze down front of my coat, I usually wear the opening under my nose and not over top of my nose cause this makes my goggles not fit right if I wear it up to my upper lip and under my nose it keeps hot breath from coming up to my goggles and trying to fog them, I have 509 Sinister goggle.

I like the goggles and helmet is vented well but my thin balaclavas I have been buying seem not long enough down the front of my coat and my chest gets cold, I usually don`t have to wear a mid layer and stay comfortable for body temperature.

I bought a neckie thing today and was told it was easy to tuck up in front of my helmet and wouldn`t have to wear a balaclava, came home after buying it and that don`t work ,

what balaclava would you all recommend and what do you use for this kind of problem , what probs have you all been experienceing if any???

Thanks, Wildcard

E
Nov 26, 2007
oregon
I have 2 Klim's, a Nike, and an UnderArmour in the family.

Personally, I don't care to wear one unless it's 0, but if I do have to, I prefer the UA hands down. Material is very comfortable against the face, especially compared to the Klim's in my personal opinion. The Klim's are really long though extending down to the chest, so they may be the ticket for you. For comfort, and flexibility, though I'll take the UA. My kids prefer it too.

Oh, and I wear (and LOVE) a Klim F4 helmet, with the nose and mouth deflector always in place. Yes my upper neck gets a bit chilly at times, but I can't stand having my mouth covered, so when I wear the UA, I slip the mouth part down to my neck, which is super comfortable, and part of the design. Then you have double material down by your neck to help warm it, too boot. My Klim's are not as comfortable when worn this way and feels like I'm wearing it wrong.

Last edited:

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Thank you for the reply, what does the UA stand for or what brand is it??

where did you get it I would like to see what it looks like. sound like you and I perfer the same

keep the comments coming, any more advice would be appreciated also let me know where you got yours please.

Thanks, Darren

Engine Pro 5x

Premium Member
Sep 20, 2009
KANSAS
I had the same problem trying to find one that was thin but still warm. I picked one up that has a tag on it that reads Turtle Fur. When I get back to the shop I'll check and see where I bought it >>>>.

S

sled-fiend

Nov 27, 2006
Victoria, BC
www.raintek.ca
Thank you for the reply, what does the UA stand for or what brand is it??

where did you get it I would like to see what it looks like. sound like you and I perfer the same

keep the comments coming, any more advice would be appreciated also let me know where you got yours please.

Thanks, Darren

UA Under Armour

T

towngrunt

Apr 17, 2008
I had a similar problem of not being long enough and neck would get cold. I started wearing a "Neckie". I found this to keep my neck covered regardless of where the Balaclava went to on my neck. Also I wear mine most all the time unless real warm simply because I hate putting my helmet back on after sitting for a while and freezing my head.

P
Sep 14, 2010
North Dakota
I wear a new Arctic Cat one. The front drops down the neck quite aways and then I wear a hard hat liner over my neck also. The hard hat liner is like a head band that is about 4 inches wide. I don't know where to buy one because work supplies them for me. I have also worn a silk hankerchief tied around my neck and that is also very warm.

trikerider

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Ellensburg Wa
I use a Klim, if I start getting too warm I take it off right away. Sometimes it's just as good to wear it around your neck only.

heynagel

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
Yup Under Armor all the way! It reminds me of a ninja mask or something and the way it's designed the fabric never get's streched out or saggy.

M

madsigntist

Dec 19, 2007
Lehi, UT
www.summitsigns.biz
I recently bought an HMK bala that I really like. The fleecs in nice and thin, and the lower face part is kinda of hinged and can be moved down or up really easy. the face part also has a breathable windproof material that is different is awesome to pull up high for the morning ride in.
It does not however run long down your neck of chest which I like. I get hot when they are all bunched up around my neck.
I would highly recommend this one.

C

CF7SP

Nov 27, 2007
Rhinelander, WI
Vote for the Klim here...although I am sure UA would be a good one too...again I believe you truly get what you pay for!

M

MGM

Dec 2, 2007
Southern Idaho
I have the Klim but usually end up sweating bad.

Lately what I've been doing is wearing the klim up the little trail i have to take then once I'm in the trees it goes into the handlebar bag until the trail back to the truck.

B

barry1me

Mar 12, 2009
MI
I have a one time KLIM COVERT that Im looking to sell. If interested let me know.

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
I think UA quit making theirs. I couldn't find it on their website or anywhere else.

B

BigPoo

Nov 22, 2008
Langley, BC
www.perfectturfgrass.ca
i wear a klim. its stretchy and thin yet soft and warm. i also have the 509 sinster goggles and i cant wear the balaclava over my nose, but just under my nose is perfect. i tuck the excess down my jacket and i never get cold. i just find it a little hard to breath through the mouth(it is easiest while stretched). bought at local skidoo dealer for around 20 bucks on sale. Under armour is known for their breathable fabrics so they would be a great choice too

P
Jun 23, 2010
I have both the Klim and the Under Armour, the Klim is less comfortable around the nose for sure, but is unbelievable at how well it blocks the wind off the neck. It also gets hot pretty quick, I learned to take it off before any serious digging out. I think the perfect balaclava would be the upper half of a UA stitched to the lower half of a Klim.

Premium Features