• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bad set of plugs?

A
Jan 23, 2019
2014 pro rmk 800 155, less than 500mi.

Ive been using bpr9es plugs with good results but decided to try some iridiums this time. Ngk Bpr9eix. Ive got about 4 rides on these plugs and was having to pull 2 or 3 times to start yesterday. Would run strong once started though. So pulled them this morning and noticed all the soot, which I've read is caused by bad connection to the wires. I make sure there is a good snap when putting the wires on and haven't had any soot on the es's so just wondering if I just got a bad set or should switch back to standard plugs. Thoughts?

Btw, 90% off trail riding with lots of throttle. Also other end of plugs look great. Thanks

20200228_112955.jpg

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Mine do that too, I think from the clip inside the boot not maintaining positive contact with the tip of the plug. There's some arcing, which slowly burns away the material, leaving that dust. I'm not sure it's a problem at all, but I don't like it. What I've started doing is to screw off the tip, put it on a junk spark plug, and hammer on it over a block of wood (don't put the plug in the head while you're doing this!) to put more bulge in it. Be careful of going too far, give it a few taps and try the fit until it's tight but you don't have to force it. There is another type of wire/terminal, where you screw off the tip from the top of the plug and the threaded end is the contact. I'd like to try those and see if the pixi dust every time I pull the boot goes away. NGK PN 8048, "CR2 Racing Cable" is what I'm talking about; I can't guarantee it's compatible with newer electronics, just that it has the type of terminal I'm referring to.

A
Jan 23, 2019
After I read your post I checked my wires. They do spin kinda easy once snapped on the plug. I'll try smashing them down a little. Thanks for the input

johnsonracing

Just ride
Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2010
Spanish Fork, UT
Mine do that too, I think from the clip inside the boot not maintaining positive contact with the tip of the plug. There's some arcing, which slowly burns away the material, leaving that dust. I'm not sure it's a problem at all, but I don't like it. What I've started doing is to screw off the tip, put it on a junk spark plug, and hammer on it over a block of wood (don't put the plug in the head while you're doing this!) to put more bulge in it. Be careful of going too far, give it a few taps and try the fit until it's tight but you don't have to force it. There is another type of wire/terminal, where you screw off the tip from the top of the plug and the threaded end is the contact. I'd like to try those and see if the pixi dust every time I pull the boot goes away. NGK PN 8048, "CR2 Racing Cable" is what I'm talking about; I can't guarantee it's compatible with newer electronics, just that it has the type of terminal I'm referring to.

I tried the 8048's a couple of years ago and found they were alot worse because the stud didnt have as much surface area. They would arc and almost burn the entire way through.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I tried the 8048's a couple of years ago and found they were alot worse because the stud didnt have as much surface area. They would arc and almost burn the entire way through.

Bummer, I was hoping those might be the silver bullet! Makes sense though, there's a bigger contact area with the terminal nut on there than just the stud. I guess mashing the terminal nut a little to make it tight is the best that can be done then. Strange that this happens on the two-strokes, but I can't remember seeing anything so bad on any of my cars.

johnsonracing

Just ride
Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2010
Spanish Fork, UT
Bummer, I was hoping those might be the silver bullet! Makes sense though, there's a bigger contact area with the terminal nut on there than just the stud. I guess mashing the terminal nut a little to make it tight is the best that can be done then. Strange that this happens on the two-strokes, but I can't remember seeing anything so bad on any of my cars.

Your car plugs have a steel top like the bpr9es (7788) where the bpr9eix (6953? If I remember right) nut style top is aluminum. I think that's where the problem lies is in the density of the aluminum. Trade offs I guess. I run the eix's with a light dab of dielectric grease and I end up getting a whole season out of a set. Ran them in my mod sled for 10 years and 5 in my pro.

Premium Features