• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Backup Power for PIDD

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I never thought I would say this, but as light weight as the electric start is getting my next sled will probably have one.
But, I am getting old and worn out, so there's that.

Besides, with all the extra tools and parts and beer and food that I carry, its really not much more at this point.

I hear ya! I am totally capable to pull start all day long, and never thought i would like an electric start, but after giving it a go on the 2016 axys, it was a priority on the new one. They are easy to take off and expensive to add on, so this was a no brainer :)

idahosledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I finally talked to my dealer today, the harness is still showing on back order due to some supplier issue.
As warm as its been around here I guess there's no rush at this point.
This may be one of the rare years that I am not at least trail riding by thanksgiving.

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
Excalibur said he had no issues running the TrailTech set up last season.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

T
Nov 7, 2010
Utah
Backup power - PIDD

I just did this, and it seems to work good. I used the factory harness (Babbit's, $95.00 or so, with shipping) and a 12v nimh battery pack from Amazon (Tenergy, $22.00 or so, maybe $30 with shipping) I assembled the harness and battery on a bench. Then plugged it in on the sled, and used heavy zip ties to secure it. Key to on postion, and I can do the updates (and spend time dilly'n) with the display. I'll keep an eye on it when I ride the sled, to see if the battery pack is going to overheat. It's probably pretty similar to the Trail Tech, and Excalibur is reporting no problems last year. I recommend this to other PIDD sled users without E start - it's a pain in the arse to idle the sled while dilly'n with the display. Bonus: Now my riding buddies will have to listem to me, 'cause I'm able to see where we're at! GPS don't lie, right?

idahosledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I dont think I would feel comfortable trying to charge a NiMH battery with the on board charging wiring. Much less forgiving than a lead acid battery.
I dont think it would hurt the sled circuitry but may be hard on the battery.
If you wanted to it may be worth installing a dedicated NiMH charger in the circuit, can pick them up pretty cheap.
Then again, your battery is relatively cheap as well if it fails.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
Has anyone looked a the Lith Ion Poly battery that some of the high lumen head (3.5k to 10k lumen) lamps are using?? These are 3.2 volt and about 2.4 " long and about .85 dia I have a headlamp that for limitted use only as needed is going on my helmet. I think I will try and build a limitted action charger from the sled power. Just my thoughts as needed for GPS power.
gtwitch in wyoming

sledmeister

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2008
Yakima, WA
What about using a lithium ion battery? They have built in electronics to supposidly prevent overcharging. I've got a harness ordered, backordered, and was thinking about using a bikemaster DLFP-7ZS. It didn't rate well on Amazon, but my local Polaris dealer has had good luck with them on bikes.

idahosledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I stopped in to my dealer again the other day, still no harness.
Might be a wash for this year.
They are now showing delivery by the end of December, but that has already changed many times so I am no counting on it.

brandon1

Premium Member
Jan 20, 2009
Glenwood Springs
I ordered the harness from Rocky Mountain ATV in early November and have had it for several weeks now, it showed a 2 week back order when I ordered and it seems like it shipped before 2 weeks.

m7extreme

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
With the help of Cinno, a little creative engerineering to make a battery box, and a earth x battery, my pidd is up and running. Sure is nice to have the gauge powered up without the sled running. Thanks again Cinno

Last edited:
G
Apr 8, 2020
Resurrecting an old thread, but I wanted to add that Cinno's solution worked well. As long as you don't mind changing the batteries every 10 hours of screen usage with the engine off, this seems like the far cheaper and lighter way to go compared to using the Polaris harness.

I wanted to understand how this worked a little more so I found the wiring diagram and did some testing first.
Here is the diagram, with red lines added to show voltage flow when the engine is off. The "Constant Power Diode" keep the power flowing only to the PIDD and not back into the rest of the sled.
Engine Off.png

Here is the diagram, but with blue lines added to show voltage from higher voltage engine supplied power. The "Battery Power Diode" blocks power flowing back into the battery, so no worries about unintentionally charging the AA batteries.

Engine On.jpg
I then hooked up the battery using some alligator clips and tooks some measurements.
- I confirmed that there was 0 volts on GRY/RD with the engine running. (Battery disconnected for this)
- With the engine off, 0.3A flowed from the battery into the PIDD.
- With the engine on, 0.0A flowed from the battery into the PIDD. No amps backwards either.

In short, everything behaved as expected and it should work well.

G
Apr 8, 2020
Rather than cutting the harness wrap tape and using T-Taps, I figured I would take advantage of the SAE DC plugs. I purchased another SAE DC plug and cut it in half.

For ground, I used the ground from the un-used 12V accessory plug.

For the GRY/RD tap, I simply rotated the "Battery PWR" diode and plugged into it where the GRY/RD used to go.
IMG_9638 (1).JPG

I used this battery case, but upgraded the wires to 18ga wires and potted the inside with hot glue to keep the wires from getting ripped out. Upgrading the wires is not really necessary, but make sure that you secure them in place so they can't be pulled out. I also added a 5A fuse.
IMG_9639 (1).JPG

Here it is in place and secured with velcro.
IMG_9641 (1).JPG

Maybe 2 hours or work, but most of it was spent on testing. If you just copy what I did it should only take 30 minutes and cost $10.

D
Feb 12, 2024
Minnesota
Would anyone be able to assist me on making this work on my 2021? The wiring harness is different, so there are no diodes up in the main harness. I would love any help!

Premium Features