• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Backcountry Skis for SKS 155?

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
Taking my SKS 155 to the mountains for the first time. Curious what skis people are using for backcountry powder riding. Are the Grippers worth keeping or should I look at something else?

TIA!

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Grippers are garbage for the mountains, and all pairs must get mailed to my house immediately for disposal once you buy expensive aftermarket something somethings that don't work as well as grippers.

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
Thanks! Pretty much what I was hoping to hear. I couldn't throw away the Pro Steers fast enough on my SBA. Ended up with Mohawks. Glad it's different with the Grippers. Looking forward to comparing the two of them when we head out next month.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
The grippers have some weak spots (rubber damper: buy durapros, and the bolt mount can ovalize in a really hard hit) but performance-wise they're awesome in deep snow.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Some guys do like aftermarket skis better than grippers, but it's not nearly the difference it was over older Poo skis, and picking the wrong ski for what you want is likely to be a step backward. You don't see that many aftermarket skis on Poos in the mountains these days, where I remember most had Powder Pros (still a good ski) or such when I started riding ten years ago – so that's a big vote of confidence in the gripper. Durapro dampers come highly recommended: half the reason people were going away from the gripper was because the standard rubber dampers like to split, but why spend $750 to fix a problem that can be eliminated for $80? So the damper upgrade is highly recommended, and you'll probably be happy with the combination.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
grippers are good. I like Mohawks as well.
I prefer the Mohawks for the simple fact the rubber dampener and saddle are better than the Polaris
yes, I do use Durapro dampeners as well. I have destroyed those too

Premium Features