• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Backcountry Backpack Essentials

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
It's getting to be that time to repack the backpack so I thought I'd start this thread. What do you ladies carry in your pack? I seem to learn about something new every year so let's hear it!

Here's my list:
small first aid kit with waterproof medical tape
gloves
handwarmers & bodywarmers
socks
shovel
probe
Flagging tape
rope
duct tape
electrical tape
wire
mirror
whistle
compass
thermometer
some funky wire saw contraption
knife
flashlight
Fire starter firesticks
matches
flint just in case
Some snacks
Space Blanket (one small one big)
The bivysack that kept SnoJo warm when she got hurt.
beanie
Chapstick
zipties
TREE saw
Rhino 530
rubber gloves
40' of webbing
2 carabeeners

On the sled-
Water
Snickers
Tools
Bungies
Muffpot
Dry bag for coat
Extra Gas

In my pockets-
Camera
Chapstick
Knife
Tissue
inclinometer

D
Oct 7, 2009
Washington
Nothing to add to the list, but wanted to say that a lot of things on it are great ideas for stocking stuffers! OK, maybe not the zipties ;), but many other things would be great!

I
Mar 26, 2008
Proctor MN
Doesn't your pack get really heavy holding all this stuff on you? What type of pack do you use to hold it all?
I agree that these would make nice stocking stuffers!! I just got a bunch of ideas for the hubby!! :)

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
to add to the previous list:

toilet paper [pack]
painkillers (if available) and/or aspirin of some sort [pack]

i always like to have at least one set of 2-way radios in a group too. [pocket, or some easy access location]

S
Oct 22, 2009
I always carry tampons in my gear as they can easily be dipped into a fuel tank or jerry can to help start a fire! Sunscreen is another item that is also in my pack! ;)

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Megan's backpack always has Rob's beer in it. She's such a good women!

Girls add two rolled up Hefty contractor leaf bags to your packs. If you end up camping out these are invaluable for keeping dry and warm. They weigh nothing and take up very little space.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Megan's backpack always has Rob's beer in it. She's such a good women!

Girls add two rolled up Hefty contractor leaf bags to your packs. If you end up camping out these are invaluable for keeping dry and warm. They weigh nothing and take up very little space.
Yep, always pack a few of 'em. Don't cut the bags, tear them. Anywhere there's a corner in the cut, it'll rip further.

Carry flares too, great for starting fires and being seen.

girlpowder

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2009
Utah, land of the FLUFF!!!
I have CG's list from last year. It's a good one.;) We are true believers on Vaseline balls for fire starter. Start super easy and burn nice and slow.

Also my identification in my backpack.:eek:

W

Wish

Apr 30, 2002
Tri Cities, WA
www.staceysdesign.com
Good list! I see a couple things I forgot...however I'm working on reducing the items in my pack, and moving stuff to my sled now that I have a seat that has storage. :)

I also pack ziplocs, keep items inside them...keeps them dry, and gives you something to separate wet from dry materials.

Another firestarter...just throw some dryer lint in a ziploc...great firestarter, and it's free!!:D

Don't forget spare batteries for all your gadgets either!

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
Doesn't your pack get really heavy holding all this stuff on you? What type of pack do you use to hold it all?
I agree that these would make nice stocking stuffers!! I just got a bunch of ideas for the hubby!! :)

It is heavy, but not HEAVY. Most of these items are light! I've been riding with the HMK pack for 2 years and it holds, organizes and distribute the weight very well. I also ride with the 661 vest that seems to help distibute the weight. Generally I really only know it's heavy when I take it off or put it on! lol

This year I'll be switching to the BCA Float pack and we'll see how the weight of the airbag and all this crap feels. :eek:

Ah yes, I forgot about the sunscreen! lol

O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
On the sunscreen topic.....it's a good idea to carry sunglasses too. If you get stranded due to mechanical issues - NOT weather related - and have to spend hours during the daylight hiking out or wrenching you do not want that sun glare off the snow beating up your eyes!!

Remember - mother nature's danger comes in all forms. Even the sunshine can cause harm in a backcountry situation.

K
Apr 2, 2009
Planet Earth
All great items to have. I always head out with the plans of staying the night out there if things go bad. But I would recommend lightening up. Make the sled pack as much as possible. The more weight you carry the more energy you burn and you need all you can keep.

In my pack I have: two lighters, fire starter, hat, gloves, socks, hand warmers, space blanket, multitool, small first aid kit(extra roll of tape), Ibuprophen, toilet paper, two protien bars, shovel, and probe. Everything else I make the sled pack in the windshield bag or tunnel bag. MOST IMPORTANT, waterproof everything. Double bag items with zip lock storage bags. Water/snow will get in your "waterproof pack" and everything will be worthless if they get wet.

Have fun and enjoy!

W

Wish

Apr 30, 2002
Tri Cities, WA
www.staceysdesign.com
Sunglasses....yes!

That reminded me, I have found that the headlamps instead of a flashlight can be very handy. Have you ever had a mechanical issue in the dark....dark in the mountains is a whole different kinda dark. And trying to hold a flashlight can be very trying at times!

C

Colorado4fun

Mar 26, 2004
Layton, UT
We are true believers on Vaseline balls for fire starter. Start super easy and burn nice and slow.

This is a good one.

T

Oh ya.....I do carry my cell phone. Put it in a bag to keep it try and leave it turned off so the cold doesn't drain the battery as quickly.

Last edited:
S
Nov 27, 2008
I need to get my Klim pants sent off to get a zipper fixed.Anybody know where to send stuff to them to be fixed?

Great list you posted Brandy,I need to get to work and get my pack updated.

A

aksnomachinechic

Nov 11, 2006
Gr8st Plce; ALASKA!
www.facebook.com
I need to get my Klim pants sent off to get a zipper fixed.Anybody know where to send stuff to them to be fixed?

A friend of mine sent a pair of his bibs back (tear in the leg) to Klim and they fixed his at no cost except for shipping. IMO Thats some pretty great customer service in repairing their products.

Call them and inquire.
P: 208.552.7433
:)

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
But I would recommend lightening up. Make the sled pack as much as possible. The more weight you carry the more energy you burn and you need all you can keep.

I agree. However I've heard a few horror stories where peeps were seperated from their sleds and had to make due with what was on their bodies. So, I want all my survival gear on my body. The chances of things going this south on me are slim I realize, but dang....................... :rolleyes:

R

RedRaven

Jun 13, 2009
I agree with Brandy, I carry everything survival related I can in my pack, including food for two people. Anything extra i carry in my sled. Like the sunscreen, glasses, things like that. I think it's very important to be prepared for the worst situation possible. The only thing extra that I carry is a pair of socks. They can be used as mittens or are great to apply pressure.

Thanks for the reminder to go through everything!! Snow in the forcast!!!

Premium Features