• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Back country survival kit

Elkaholic4life

Twin Peaks
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2013
Portland, OR
So this is an honest question. What do you think your going to need? Your area I'm sure is different than mine. I'm going to need to stay warm. I pack a flare and a couple of tampons. Pull the string. Drop it into the gas tank and you have a crazy fire starter.

If I get to this point, I'm not trying to start a camp fire. I'm trying to start a forest fire. Smoke will help them find you

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I think every pack is different, just as mentioned, depends on where/when you ride. The best survival gear is a good group to ride with. That way you should never have to spend a night.

I am with Elkoholic, if I really need out of the woods, you will see the smoke/fire for miles! Plemty of standing dead spruce that wouldn't take much to make into a nice 100 ft tall torch.

I used to pack a bunch of gear, and still would if in unfamiliar territory. In my situation though, i think pack a bunch of gear is a waste of time and effort. Plan A is to ride and have fun. Plan B, if something goes bad, is to rely on the people I am riding with, not so much the gear in my bag.

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
Does any company offer a back country survival kit that comes complete with stuff for unplanned overnight stays on the mountain?

I dont know of any truly all encompassing kit. However this is what I carry. Others have responded with knowing the terrain having good partners and such but you just never know.

Lighter wrapped in duck tape (Back up tinder)
Cotton balls soaked in Vaseline
Road Flares
Cat 5 Tourniquet (you puncture an artery in the back country this is your only hope)
Trauma Kit ( Heavy Bleed Kit) adventure medical makes a good kit thats easy to find
Boo boo kit (basically bandages and some gauze)
Head Lamp
GPS
Saw
Leatherman
Flashlight
Food (I choose foods high in fat)
Insulation layers
Spare socks.
Water in Metal Bottle.

This may seem like a lot to some but with my tunnel bag and back pack it really spreads out nice. I also know that certain avalanche instructors or back country experts say this is not enough and I should carry more. But its what I have found to be the most effective items for fixing darn near any situation and or getting you thru the night. I carry this all year long weather I am on my horse or bike or sled.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So this is an honest question. What do you think your going to need? Your area I'm sure is different than mine. I'm going to need to stay warm. I pack a flare and a couple of tampons. Pull the string. Drop it into the gas tank and you have a crazy fire starter.

If I get to this point, I'm not trying to start a camp fire. I'm trying to start a forest fire. Smoke will help them find you

He he he
You do like to travel LIGHT don't ya.

I know my over night kit is somewhat more robust.
Just seems to easy to end up STUCK on top of a mountain at night even if you are with a good group. Stuff Happens. Be prepared.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
He he he

Just seems to easy to end up STUCK on top of a mountain at night even if you are with a good group. Stuff Happens. Be prepared.

You guys must all be way more hard core riders than I am. 20 years of riding in the back country and not a single night out, not even close. What on earth is happening that you can't ride your group off the mountain?

Maybe if ya'all didn't have 30 lbs of safety gear and 30 lbs of overnight gear in your back packs you could ride better?

Getting stuck in the woods and setting of avalanches SHOULD be extremely rare occurrences for sledders. Must be some really bad decision making going on if either is so regular you worry about it this much.

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
You guys must all be way more hard core riders than I am. 20 years of riding in the back country and not a single night out, not even close. What on earth is happening that you can't ride your group off the mountain?

Maybe if ya'all didn't have 30 lbs of safety gear and 30 lbs of overnight gear in your back packs you could ride better?

Getting stuck in the woods and setting of avalanches SHOULD be extremely rare occurrences for sledders. Must be some really bad decision making going on if either is so regular you worry about it this much.

If you take any critical skill training one of the first things they teach you is to be prepared for the unknown. This attitude that you are above getting in trouble in the backcountry is the back story to numerous tragedies across the west every year. Avalanche deaths occur every year, people still don’t wear avy gear because they “know” better. “I am to good of a rider to need that” “I know these mountains I have been riding them since I was a kid” the list goes on and on.

I am an expierenced back country traveler, the gear I listed maybe adds to 13 pounds on my back with a float bag. The rest is on the sled. Wanna bet I can’t ride to the best of my ability with it on? You know what I can’t do with out it? Benifit from the survival statistic that comes with deploying an avy bag in a slide? Stopping a arterial bleed from a compound fracture? Being able to comfortably spend the night if I make a wrong turn once it’s dark or if I am delayed do to a mechanical issue. Yes l ride technical terrain. There are do and don’t spots and that comes with risks and I try to mitigate those by being out early and knowing the terrain but it doesn’t change how everyone should approach safety. There isn’t a guide or avalanche safety instructor who would disagree with me.

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion, and I pray that you never get in a bad spot. But this forum is public and a lot of folks take what’s on here as fact not opinion. When they head up they get false ideas about the risks because people down play them. It might work for you but to discourage safety and preparedness is ignorant and bad for the sport.

Elkaholic4life

Twin Peaks
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2013
Portland, OR
He he he

I actually pack some medical supply's, Emergency reflective blankets, Para cord, Tools, Some food and water also. I can melt snow in my muffpot next to the fire. Of coarse i have a saw and shovel to. If I could only have one thing out of my supply's to spend a night. It would be a way to make a raging fire. I always wear my BCA air bag, shovel and probe on my back. Beacon is strapped to my side.

Tride

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2010
Bozeman MT
Tools, 2 sources of fire, firestarters, first aid kit, high fill down jacket--this last one may be the most important. If someone gets injured they are going to go into shock. Delorme Inreach, also.

This is the backcountry, sh%t happens. In 20+ years of riding I've been involved in 2 heli-evacs, and either could have turned into an overnight if conditions had changed. Be prepared to spend the night. If you're not and it's below freezing, it might be your last night.

The 2 evacs were a femur fracture/back injury and the second a collapsed lung/broken scapula, collarbone and ribs. I don't care how good your riding group is, you're not getting those guys out.

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
I ended up spending a night on the mountain recently. First time for us. We weren’t stuck, weren’t in trouble, just ended up going down the wrong cut in a snowstorm, spent longer than expected getting out of it, and ended up dark in unfamiliar territory with several feet of fresh pow (makes it impossible to see).

Biggest thing I’d recommend is throw away your ****ty bic lighters and get waterproof fire starters....multiple options.

Next is a couple saws. We probably spent 20 min per hour cutting and gathering wood to keep the fire going. Dead pine burns extremely fast.

Metal cup to melt snow. A tarp, poncho, emergency blanket, or something to help block wind and reflect heat.

Oatmeal packs would have been nice. Light, easy to carry, and would be a good warm meal while you’re sitting around.

Flashlight and knife are always good to have.

I also bring extra clothing, hat, and couple pairs of gloves. Usually ride with only a base layer, t-shirt, and Klim shell to keep from getting too hot. That’s not enough clothing to stay warm sitting idle. Extra base layer, socks, and a fleece were handy to have. Especially if you happened to find yourself knee deep in a creek earlier....

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
I have everything u mentioned but oatmeal and I sure like that idea. I will be throwing a few packs in my survival gear.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

TDR

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2012
If you take any critical skill training one of the first things they teach you is to be prepared for the unknown. This attitude that you are above getting in trouble in the backcountry is the back story to numerous tragedies across the west every year. Avalanche deaths occur every year, people still don’t wear avy gear because they “know” better. “I am to good of a rider to need that” “I know these mountains I have been riding them since I was a kid” the list goes on and on.

I am an expierenced back country traveler, the gear I listed maybe adds to 13 pounds on my back with a float bag. The rest is on the sled. Wanna bet I can’t ride to the best of my ability with it on? You know what I can’t do with out it? Benifit from the survival statistic that comes with deploying an avy bag in a slide? Stopping a arterial bleed from a compound fracture? Being able to comfortably spend the night if I make a wrong turn once it’s dark or if I am delayed do to a mechanical issue. Yes l ride technical terrain. There are do and don’t spots and that comes with risks and I try to mitigate those by being out early and knowing the terrain but it doesn’t change how everyone should approach safety. There isn’t a guide or avalanche safety instructor who would disagree with me.

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion, and I pray that you never get in a bad spot. But this forum is public and a lot of folks take what’s on here as fact not opinion. When they head up they get false ideas about the risks because people down play them. It might work for you but to discourage safety and preparedness is ignorant and bad for the sport.

Fully agree. The backcountry is no where to piss around. It can consume you quickly if things go bad. I would rather be over prepared every time I go out than worry about a few extra pounds. I’m not worried about my riding suffering with that little bit of extra gear. It could be the difference between life and death whether it’s yours or someone else. Forget the cool factor here.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
In terms of easily packable and high calorie emergency food, MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat for you non-military types) are hard to beat. Plus the heaters can be bought separately and can be used to heat whatever. They only cost a couple bucks each and weigh almost nothing-all they require is a couple ounces of water. Hot food warms up someone quick.

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
In terms of easily packable and high calorie emergency food, MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat for you non-military types) are hard to beat. Plus the heaters can be bought separately and can be used to heat whatever. They only cost a couple bucks each and weigh almost nothing-all they require is a couple ounces of water. Hot food warms up someone quick.

Agree with this. Would recommend field stripping them first. Lots of useless stuff and packing in them that adds a lot of bulk. Was going to go through my stash and see what would be worth packing. Probably just a beef stew pack with the heater.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
good point on the stripping. i'd go with whatever entree, a few heaters, a side, and i'd include one of the shake mixes which are almost all sugar but in an emergency...
and of course the small bottle of tabasco!

B
Nov 29, 2018
This is what I carry on a typical day out in the Tetons. I can concentrate better knowing I have shelter and/or mobility if my machine breaks or I make a small mistake. It's cold here...
food
water
phone
inReach
1st aid kit
down jacket
hat
tools
sleeping bag
bivy bag
sleeping pad
tarp
whisper lite stove
snowshoes (when solo riding)
Carried in a pack and ballistic nylon tunnel bag
And always word of where I'm going and when to expect me to return. The inReach works great for this as the person you left word with can see on a screen if you are still traveling or not.

Premium Features