• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

AZ Riding Buddies

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Considering Phoenix for a relocation area. Heard there is riding in the White Mountains to the north east of Phoenix. Google shows it's about a 5hr drive from Phoenix. I know there are a couple of riders here from that area. Can you give info. The page I found seemed kinda like a tourist page with no photo's, trail maps etc. Could someone share with me, what you have experienced for snow depth riding conditions etc. Short Track, long track common? Rentals? Where you ride most commonly from the Phoenix area.

here is one thing you should consider

cid__0713091452.jpg

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
I was stationed at Fort Hood TX for 2 years and experienced the misery of wearing green BDU's and combat boots while doing physical outdoor work in 114 degree heat in the mid 90's. Though other family members may not feel the same. I just started looking at houses down there with a pool going for cheap down there. Looks like they will be that way for the next few years with the % of home sales that are being snatched up by out of state investors. I think it would be kinda cool to be the only guy on the block with a snowmobile. Course it may piss of the HOA. Not sure if I like the idea yet of moving into a home with a HOA. But there again I have seen area's before that looks like a half million dollar home next to another place that looks either barely liveable or they are working on 6 cars in the front yard at once.

S

SnowDevil

Nov 26, 2007
Portland
did sledding in az for 5 years, lots of good stuff around flagstaff. Sunrise ski area actually has a snowmobile park about 1 mile away that has restrooms and a nice big lot. sometime you get 2 weeks of sledding or 2 months never know, colorado is a 7 hour drive to some great mountain sledding you will need a long track up there, the rest of az you can do on a shorty. They also have drag races at mormon lake a couple times a year lots of fun. there is a yahoo group you can join for azsledders i believe is the name

T
Not sure what you consider mountain riding... but if you are into deep and steep riding you will not find it in Arizona any where...
We live in AZ and SoCal and do all our riding in Utah and Idaho... Now there is some real mountain riding without boundries...
I have been through Flag several times during snow storms and some snow can pile up, but never really that much and it does not seem to stay around long... Best bet is to plan on riding somewhere else... we store our sleds in Utah and head up in the Winter and ride in NE Utah and Island Park, ID...

AZ is best know for it's Dirtbike and Jeep trails...

Cheers :beer;

A
Oct 5, 2008
decide for yourself but the white mountains can get decent snow and have offer plenty of fun. last year was short-about 70 days but at times had over 70 inches at 9k plus. if you want to look on a map, the best riding extends from north of greens peak to south of big lake. not a lot of hill climbs but cornices up to 20 feet and lots of powder meadows. the place is great for long weekends. if you really want to mountain ride, chama colorado is amazing but tracks up quick. second choice for me from tucson is molas pass north of durango- both areas are above 9k feet and get dumped on. as far sleds go dont sell your longtracks until you try it, plus you'll need em for colorado during christmas and springbreak. any body that keeps their sleds in utah is throwing away good sledding in their own backyard. last year did over 1k miles, most in arizona and all of it boondocking! by the way utah riding blows.

T
Jan 11, 2008
TX
decide for yourself but the white mountains can get decent snow and have offer plenty of fun. last year was short-about 70 days but at times had over 70 inches at 9k plus. if you want to look on a map, the best riding extends from north of greens peak to south of big lake. not a lot of hill climbs but cornices up to 20 feet and lots of powder meadows. the place is great for long weekends. if you really want to mountain ride, chama colorado is amazing but tracks up quick. second choice for me from tucson is molas pass north of durango- both areas are above 9k feet and get dumped on. as far sleds go dont sell your longtracks until you try it, plus you'll need em for colorado during christmas and springbreak. any body that keeps their sleds in utah is throwing away good sledding in their own backyard. last year did over 1k miles, most in arizona and all of it boondocking! by the way utah riding blows.
I also lived in AZ for 5 years back in the late 90's and there are a few spots to ride in the white mountains, you just have to have look and time it right and you can get some decent riding in. But timing is everything. I know the yamaha dealer in flag used to have a couple sleds in the dealer during the window.

T
Jan 11, 2008
TX
Last edited:

skibob1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 18, 2007
central az
in good winters az kicks it for snow!

South of flagstaff from Munds Park to Mormon Lake, from Stoman Lake to flagstaff is great.

have lived in munds park for over 8 years, some years i have put over 2k miles on my sleds. Most all days powder and back trail boondocking.

No big hill climbs but great powder and great trails, all roads closed to wheeled powersports. snowmobiles and cross country skis only!

I can ride all week and never ride much packed.

over looks of sedona!

sleds 05 M7, 07 Phazer fx 136" snow cross- simmons flex, 06 RMK 900 159" For CO riding.

T
Jan 11, 2008
TX
South of flagstaff from Munds Park to Mormon Lake, from Stoman Lake to flagstaff is great.

have lived in munds park for over 8 years, some years i have put over 2k miles on my sleds. Most all days powder and back trail boondocking.

No big hill climbs but great powder and great trails, all roads closed to wheeled powersports. snowmobiles and cross country skis only!

I can ride all week and never ride much packed.

over looks of sedona!

sleds 05 M7, 07 Phazer fx 136" snow cross- simmons flex, 06 RMK 900 159" For CO riding.
Thanks for the info can you post some pics so everyone gets an idea of the AZ riding.

Thanks

C
Sep 12, 2009
I’ve been in Flagstaff for the past 4 years and it’s been either feast or famine when it comes to snow conditions. I have photos but unfortunately they are on the computer which the crashed a few weeks ago. Once I get the computer up and going again, I’ll post them.

T
Jan 11, 2008
TX
Sorry no one has chimed in and I only ride NM so I really don't have any useful info except they ride in the white mountains see pics and discussion in the AZ section.

Google.com

Duck Creek Village in Southwestern Utah, rests at the edge of a Cedar Mountain meadow at an elevation of 8,400 feet. Its central location makes Duck Creek Utah a perfect base for a wide range of activities in every season. Our famous Duck Creek Days are held the 3rd weekend of July each year.

Duck Creek Utah is fast gaining recognition as one of the great Utah snowmobiling, cross country skiing, mountain biking, and hiking destinations, with some of the best trails, scenery and terrain anywhere in America's southwest.

Premium Features