• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys vs. MATRYX

lrs

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Litchfield, MN
I am curious about what the riding difference is between the two. Currently have 2019 850 axys pro rmk. Am thinking of snowchecking. Ride out of Dubois..like off trail, but not a deep woods rider. Am 60 plus, thus not as nimble as the kids. Any advice/experience appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

powwow

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
East Kootenay
I would highly doubt that the new sled is much better. Suspension and skid are identical. Few nice little upgrades and new plastic, but also a lot more pounds

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
The engine is supposed to be better because of a new management system, the thing i like the most is the skinny tank. Go stand on your sled and you can tell the tank really pushes out your calves.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

T
Oct 16, 2017
I would highly doubt that the new sled is much better. Suspension and skid are identical. Few nice little upgrades and new plastic, but also a lot more pounds

Why do you think the take rate is entirely on the boost model? Cut your tunnel, throw some ECU management and a mag tether on an axys and you are 95% of the way there. I'd get one regardless at some point, but riding Colorado the boost model had a strong appeal to me.

Speed-Demon

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 25, 2020
AK
There’s quite a difference between the two. Narrower body panels and the new tunnel are big changes. New cooling system. New rear bumper. Lower narrower seat. Magnetic tether. If they only did the short and narrow tunnel, that alone would be more than enough of a game changer over the Axys. I would think the weight being more centralized would make the sled “feel” lighter and more balanced as well. Even though it gained a few pounds. As many have said, it’s like getting a factory mod sled.
Will you notice a big difference between your 850 Axys and the Matryx? That’s hard to say until more people get real seat time. And also, whether or not your Axys is still enough for you. Not too many riders can ride an Axys and feel like the sled isn’t enough stock out the box. Just the opposite. Most can’t even touch what the Axys is capable of. The media is going to make it sound like there’s nothing on earth like it. Could be true. Could be hype. I think that unless your riding at a high backcountry level, you won’t notice the advantages to the changes. As mentioned, the front and rear suspension is exactly the same from what I understand. So it will feel familiar if nothing else. It can really come down to how much is it worth to ride the latest and greatest? I ride with plenty of guys on 10 plus year old sleds and they’re going anywhere the new stuff is. And having a blast the whole time. They have no interest in spending $16-20,000 on a new sled. Me on the other hand...my turbo is ordered and confirmed ?? Next year is gonna be fun!

C
Nov 29, 2008
There’s quite a difference between the two. Narrower body panels and the new tunnel are big changes. New cooling system. New rear bumper. Lower narrower seat. Magnetic tether. If they only did the short and narrow tunnel, that alone would be more than enough of a game changer over the Axys. I would think the weight being more centralized would make the sled “feel” lighter and more balanced as well. Even though it gained a few pounds. As many have said, it’s like getting a factory mod sled.
Will you notice a big difference between your 850 Axys and the Matryx? That’s hard to say until more people get real seat time. And also, whether or not your Axys is still enough for you. Not too many riders can ride an Axys and feel like the sled isn’t enough stock out the box. Just the opposite. Most can’t even touch what the Axys is capable of. The media is going to make it sound like there’s nothing on earth like it. Could be true. Could be hype. I think that unless your riding at a high backcountry level, you won’t notice the advantages to the changes. As mentioned, the front and rear suspension is exactly the same from what I understand. So it will feel familiar if nothing else. It can really come down to how much is it worth to ride the latest and greatest? I ride with plenty of guys on 10 plus year old sleds and they’re going anywhere the new stuff is. And having a blast the whole time. They have no interest in spending $16-20,000 on a new sled. Me on the other hand...my turbo is ordered and confirmed Next year is gonna be fun!
Polaris did a great job but $30k cdn for a sled is nutzzz . . Even $19k for standard ride is too much ....

Paid $8500 for 16 pro with 600 km ... Did a 10" tunnel cut, added 36" react front end (still have full spare front end), 2015 lower pro pulley, toe loops removed, short seat and an extra tunnel cooler makes me less worried about wrapping it around a tree ....

When that eventually happens I'll watch for a deal on a low km '21 850 that someone bought and can't use and add a couple of minor upgrades and I'll still be fine with wrapping it around a tree.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
My uneducated guess is, short of the turbo – sorry, boost – it'll be enough of a difference that if you bought a '21, you'll probably wish you waited, but not enough that that you'll ride one and immediately take out a second mortgage, sell the truck, or start dealing crack to get one. Would a few thousand in mods and upgrades to a '21 850, let alone an earlier AXYS make it as good as a '22 Matryx? Probably not. But if you're on a budget, I don't see enough differences in the Matryx to warrant a rush to upgrade. And if you're really handy, I bet you could take a few ideas out of the Matryx playbook and build up an AXYS that rides every bit as good for much less money. The Matryx is definitely a better sled out of the box, but with not much changed at the core, it's nothing like Pro->AXYS, let alone iQ->Pro.

Premium Features