• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys quick drive, guard or skid plate / which one?

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Hey Guys,

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on what brand quick drive skid plate to run on the Axys?

On my last Pro I ran the thick hard plastic one from WRP and it seemed to work fine. I know there are a few others out there and was wondering what kind of experiences others have had.

I've come across the following ones and maybe there's more?

Fire and Ice has an aluminum one.

WRP has the plastic one.

VanAmburg has a metal one.

Most Wanted Performance had a chrome moly one.

And I think SLP has an aluminum one, if I remember right?

I was leaning towards another plastic one from WRP? I was just unsure on the metal ones because if you take a hard enough hit, I assume the metal would still bend and maybe have more problems?? Or......maybe that's not even a worry ? The other thing with the plastic, it's light and the snow doesn't really stick to it either.

So.......Thoughts????

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
So the question is plastic or metal?
Flexible or rigid?

Good debate idea. Might turn into a Ford vs Chevy debate. Not sure there is one that had more merit than the other.

ZRP Engineering

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2014
Utah
Wrp for sure! It doesn't take much to reinforce that area and if you ever do hit anything the plastic has the advantage of sliding over the object

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
WRP because it's plastic. Install I wouldn't give them the highest of a rating but price and material leaves them being the best option imo. I have 2 HUGE gouges in mine and I'd rather have not found out what it couldve done had I not installed one. I think sled solutions might also sell a 2 piece plastic guard set for each side now, but not positive.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Plastic because it is way more likely to stay its original form. Anything metal will bend and will need to be bent back

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I run F-N-I on my Axys and my 14-15 pro's and have some good gouges in them.
It is strong enough to forgo any dents-
I have had a few clients in my shop that have the WRP and had dents in it that you would need to remove it and heat it up and pound them out. ( kind like your ski bottoms dents, buldges and all)

Is one better than the other.... - it's a toss up but I do know the F-N-I takes a pretty good beating and stay's in form- pretty tough stuff- Paul uses pretty good quality material IMHO...

S/C

Mxracer39

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2014
Maine
I made a couple of these last season for my sled. Carbon fiber and Kevlar, 3mm thick. I know theres mixed reviews about carbon for skid plates though. I could make more if there's any interest.

image.jpg

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I run F-N-I on my Axys and my 14-15 pro's and have some good gouges in them.
It is strong enough to forgo any dents-
I have had a few clients in my shop that have the WRP and had dents in it that you would need to remove it and heat it up and pound them out. ( kind like your ski bottoms dents, buldges and all)

Is one better than the other.... - it's a toss up but I do know the F-N-I takes a pretty good beating and stay's in form- pretty tough stuff- Paul uses pretty good quality material IMHO...

S/C

I have the F n I QD plate as well.

Last edited:

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Actually I'll add another one!

Skinz makes "bash plates" and they come in a set of two, one for each side. I put them on my last 850 and they pretty decent.

Mxracer39

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2014
Maine
Prob be $180. Sorry I know the price is A little steep, but I didn’t make any last season, so all my materials are packed away and would be time consuming for me to get prepped to make another. If you would still be interested at that price let me know and I’ll make sure I still have enough material to make up another. I will add, Ive had mine on for three seasons and still looks great.
Thanks,
Bret

Premium Features