• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys 850 Turbo Bog

S
Sep 16, 2016

Does anyone else’s turbo 850 bog? Mine and a buddies has since day 1 last year. We’ve tried the multiple different boondocker tunes, stock head, Idaho head, and the Polaris updates. We’ve also played with different clothing setups but nothing seems to cure it 100%. The bog mostly seems to occur in deep snow riding thru the trees on and off the throttle. On the trail it seems to run perfect even when on and off the throttle. It’s becoming very frustrating because it will bog when you need the throttle the most, and the majority of the time we will end up stuck because of it.

Another thing I’ve noticed is the bog seems very similarly to the stock 850 bog that people have been experiencing. So this may not be a boondocker issue and could just be a polaris one but who knows...

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Before I try to dissect this, you need to provide me with some information.

Is this a 2019 or a 2020 sled?
Is this a 2019 or 2020 turbo? (Sidekick or Agility?)
Is it intercooled or pump gas?
What fuel mixture are you running? 91, 50/50 or 100LL?
What clutching do you have in it?
Have you added any air intake vents in the dash or is that bone stock?
Have you have any Polaris factory reflashes/tune?
Which BD tune do you have in it? (Such as 3.02 or 4.02, etc)

BD customizes their tune to match the specific Polaris reflash (or stock flash). If you have a Polaris tune/reflash, you must have the EXACT BD tune that was designed for that Polaris tune.
It's very important to have the proper BD tune to match the proper Polaris reflash.

S
Sep 16, 2016
Is this a 2019 or a 2020 sled?
Is this a 2019 or 2020 turbo? (Sidekick or Agility?)
19 sidekick
Is it intercooled or pump gas?
Intercooled
What fuel mixture are you running? 91, 50/50 or 100LL?
50/50 rightnow
What clutching do you have in it?
Latest clutching vohk S1 weights. Almond primary. 42-48 helix black yellow spring
Have you added any air intake vents in the dash or is that bone stock?
Vohk intakes, they did the install
Have you have any Polaris factory reflashes/tune?
Yes all of them
Which BD tune do you have in it? (Such as 3.02 or 4.02, etc)
Vohk 50-50 right now, I would assume it’s probably the same as the new boondocker 50-50.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
When was the turbo installed? Last year or this year? And if it was this fall, which month? (Makes a difference which tune was loaded into it)

What is the most recent Polaris reflash you have done?
Spring 2019 or Fall 2019?

S
Sep 16, 2016
When was the turbo installed? Last year or this year? And if it was this fall, which month? (Makes a difference which tune was loaded into it)

What is the most recent Polaris reflash you have done?
Spring 2019 or Fall 2019?
Turbo was installed beginning of last year. The tunes are correct. I’ve done the spring and fall updates and updated the boondocker tunes accordingly so I know that is not the issue.

09snopro

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2008
Shelley, ID
Sure would like to hear more about this issue because I think I am having the same problem. Any info would be great as to get rid of this bog off the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

brojoe

Jan 12, 2011
As it stands currently, from what we have found it is not a Boondocker issue.

First thing we checked were the exhaust valves. It appears that the exhaust valves are not opening and closing correctly. They seem to hang up when we manually moved them as they don't fully close. I read something about the gate valves being out of sync, etc, and need to be re-set or re-learned? This is what I am contributing to the "bog"

Secondly, my sled over heated coming down the trail on my last day out. I was played out so I wasn't racing down, just cruising around 5-6000 rpm. I had scratcher's down, tunnel was "full" of snow and there was about 6" of fresh on the trail and my sled flashed a warning and shut down. I was a couple km's from truck, so it wasn't that bad. It's likely a sensor, but waiting to hear back.

Lastly, while checking everything out, we noticed some oil in tjhe belly pan and on the clutches, belt, etc. We thought maybe when I had rolled it over a few times it had leaked out of the cap and likley was contributing to the belt slipping and creating a bog. But another young fellow noticed that an oil feed line had come off under the motor, hence creating the mess. From what i've read, something has plugged the oil line port, causing the line to blow off.

The sled is at the dealer right now. Hope to know more this afternoon.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
As it stands currently, from what we have found it is not a Boondocker issue.

First thing we checked were the exhaust valves. It appears that the exhaust valves are not opening and closing correctly. They seem to hang up when we manually moved them as they don't fully close. I read something about the gate valves being out of sync, etc, and need to be re-set or re-learned? This is what I am contributing to the "bog"

Secondly, my sled over heated coming down the trail on my last day out. I was played out so I wasn't racing down, just cruising around 5-6000 rpm. I had scratcher's down, tunnel was "full" of snow and there was about 6" of fresh on the trail and my sled flashed a warning and shut down. I was a couple km's from truck, so it wasn't that bad. It's likely a sensor, but waiting to hear back.

Lastly, while checking everything out, we noticed some oil in tjhe belly pan and on the clutches, belt, etc. We thought maybe when I had rolled it over a few times it had leaked out of the cap and likley was contributing to the belt slipping and creating a bog. But another young fellow noticed that an oil feed line had come off under the motor, hence creating the mess. From what i've read, something has plugged the oil line port, causing the line to blow off.

The sled is at the dealer right now. Hope to know more this afternoon.

Yes, it's good to have it at the dealer. Follow up with this and let me know what you found.

J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007
I'm having some serious bogging issues as well. First Polaris ever haha! Its a 2020 with BD intercooled kit with tunnel dump. Turbo installed brand new no miles on sled. First ride out was in revelstoke and it ran awesome (in ethanol mode running 50/50). Maybe halfway through the day it started to get a little mid range bog. First half of day pretty much ran flawless. 2nd ride was in Washington (still in ethanol mode) at my normal riding area around 4000-4500 ft. The bog started to get worse. Anytime you let off the throttle and go to hit it again it would bog. If you hit it from a dead stop to full throttle will pull like crazy until you let off. Could still get the to clean out though by feathering the throttle. Got pretty bad by end of day. Changed plugs that night were fouled pretty bad, wasn't surprised its only its second ride im sure still in break in. Switched my fuel to straight av gas ( fuel i was running was 2 gal c-16 and 3 gallons- 91) and changed fuel setting to non-ethanol. 3rd day seemed to be working good first little bit till we got into the trees and it really started to bog after you chop the throttle. Got progressively worse when I was in the trees half throttle I couldn't get it clean out and wouldn't rev over 6000ish. Checked the plugs and they actually look perfect. Rode it the rest of the day ran pretty crappy. Runs great if you just go from a dead stop and don't ever let off the throttle! 4th day decided to see if was maybe in the clutching. It has almond spring, indy dan turbo arms with I think 8-9 magnets in them. Rpms are 8600. Tried removing weight moving it around in the arm nothing really changed it. I just uploaded the most current tune for it but having a hard time believing it will fix the issue. Definitely don't run like all the boondocker videos you see :).

S
Sep 16, 2016
After speaking with Erik at Vohk, the main problem seems to be that it is too rich in the mid range, especially for us lower altitude guys that aren’t at 10k. I’m running one of his updated tunes right now and its by the the best its ever ran (knock on wood). Jvb I definitely feel your pain because your describing exactly how mine would run. If I were you I would talk to vohk and get one of their tunes.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Sounds rich.
First, put it in premium mode.
Ethenol mode is about 10% more fuel. NO ethenol mode.

Let me know how that works before you try ANYTHING else.

I'm having some serious bogging issues as well. First Polaris ever haha! Its a 2020 with BD intercooled kit with tunnel dump. Turbo installed brand new no miles on sled. First ride out was in revelstoke and it ran awesome (in ethanol mode running 50/50). Maybe halfway through the day it started to get a little mid range bog. First half of day pretty much ran flawless. 2nd ride was in Washington (still in ethanol mode) at my normal riding area around 4000-4500 ft. The bog started to get worse. Anytime you let off the throttle and go to hit it again it would bog. If you hit it from a dead stop to full throttle will pull like crazy until you let off. Could still get the to clean out though by feathering the throttle. Got pretty bad by end of day. Changed plugs that night were fouled pretty bad, wasn't surprised its only its second ride im sure still in break in. Switched my fuel to straight av gas ( fuel i was running was 2 gal c-16 and 3 gallons- 91) and changed fuel setting to non-ethanol. 3rd day seemed to be working good first little bit till we got into the trees and it really started to bog after you chop the throttle. Got progressively worse when I was in the trees half throttle I couldn't get it clean out and wouldn't rev over 6000ish. Checked the plugs and they actually look perfect. Rode it the rest of the day ran pretty crappy. Runs great if you just go from a dead stop and don't ever let off the throttle! 4th day decided to see if was maybe in the clutching. It has almond spring, indy dan turbo arms with I think 8-9 magnets in them. Rpms are 8600. Tried removing weight moving it around in the arm nothing really changed it. I just uploaded the most current tune for it but having a hard time believing it will fix the issue. Definitely don't run like all the boondocker videos you see :).

J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007
Last two rides were in premium mode. Only thing got me a little confused is that the first ride in revy it was in deep snow as well and it ran great.

Sounds rich.
First, put it in premium mode.
Ethenol mode is about 10% more fuel. NO ethenol mode.

Let me know how that works before you try ANYTHING else.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I have a Khaos 850 with a Silber turbo. I have the same problem you do, at least from what you describe. I’m fine if I keep rpm over 6,000, but you drop below 6 and hit the gas hard and it hesitates. I tried Silber clutching and then went to TRS clutching. Nothing really changed with the hesitation (trs clutching worked a lot better over 6,000rpm). I have a friend with an agility on an 850. He just put in the new boondocker weights and it runs very good now. I have some boondocker weights to try this week, we will see. Also I have it in ethanol mode, I’ll change that first before trying the BD weights.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Last two rides were in premium mode. Only thing got me a little confused is that the first ride in revy it was in deep snow as well and it ran great.

Jeremy I sent you a text.

Guys, check you CTS Coolant temp sensor's. Pins in the connector are junk.

Make sure your BD Flash matches the Flash aka map in the sleds ECU.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
I'll also add. Too much octane exaggerates the bog/stumble/flooded feeling before the boost kicks in.

Don't run any more Avgas than u need.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007
Well I did finally get out to try it again. I did put the updated BD tune in it. I wasn't to convinced that it would be in any better, but it did run real well. Bogged a couple times, but nothing like it did before. Not enough to effect anything. Snow wasn't quite as deep as I had been riding in but still and honest 2'. Was wondering if it was maybe exhaust blockage with our heavy snow, but it does have a tunnel dump so idk. Was also riding above 5000 ft where I had been riding around 4000. Still running straight av gas.

Premium Features