• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys 850 electronic break-in

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I have received a few questions about the electronic break-in for the new 850.

10hrs of 15% extra oil and +5% fuel added during break in.

Just 2hrs (above 5500rpm) of 5% extra fuel.

Last edited:
D

dude

Dec 3, 2007
Kamas, Utah
Did I hear right that there's no need to add extra oil to the first tank. Adding extra oil was part of the reason so many sleds fouled plugs etc. Thoughts???

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Due to the break-in programming, polaris does not recommend oil in the tank. Straight from one of the engineers.
The electronic break in is really nice. Simple programmed in solution. No guessing, wondering if dealers did it, our doing it twice.

Also since you can basically go hammer the sled and it will give you full power when its ready. Pretty handy.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Just as last year, adding oil to your tank is not needed or instructed by Polaris as part of the break in peroid. As of 2018+ they have added the extra oiling to the ECU Oil Pump Parameters. Adding even more oil to your tank will most likely result in fouled plugs.

If you are going to do so make sure you bring plenty of extra plugs! I had so many guys last year trying to figure out why their brand new sled would not run only because their dealer did not pass on the info correctly or the tag on the gas tank was not read.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Looking over my buddies new 850 yesterday - I asked the same ("did the dealer put oil in the gas tank, or do you have to do it") .... out of habit from all the years of a mechanical oil pump, putting a line on the side of the oil tank, checking frequently during that first day of riding, etc. etc. I guess old habits are hard to change. Perhaps due to the cost of failure...... :face-icon-small-hap

[And with an electronic oil pump, shouldn't be hard to program].

And I'm the one that quietly jokes about others that struggle with accepting technology. I guess the joke's on me, now !

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Mines an 18 and they put 1/2 tank w added oil. Havent hit snow with it yet but have done about 20 heat cycles w no issues.

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Thats what happens when u get told polaris has rebates in August and its still motocross season. I hauled ass over and bought the snowcheck that the person opted out of.. long story i fire it up weekly hoping the snow gods would hear me.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Thats what happens when u get told polaris has rebates in August and its still motocross season. I hauled ass over and bought the snowcheck that the person opted out of.. long story i fire it up weekly hoping the snow gods would hear me.

Love it !!

"Honest honey - my doctor prescribed a weekly dose of two stroke smoke inhalation to cure my depression". [Always put a smile on my face ;-) ]

Back when trail sleds where my thing, I had grass stains on hyfax LONG before the snow flew. Who needs snow to ride ??

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Lol awesome. My neighbor was confused cuz I was firing up my dirtbike one day, the next some big long ass looking thing with a paddle. He asked if I was heading to the sand dunes.. hahah

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
opting out?

When someone "opts out" of a Snowcheck, don't they loose their deposit? Both dealers I've worked with always want a $500 deposit.

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Yes, at least that’s what I was told. Win for me, loss for him, plus I got a
Decked out sled for cost.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
TTT.

Lots of conversation on social media as well. They have been linked to this thread.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
Kalispell, MT
I have received a few questions about the electronic break-in for the new 850.

10hrs of 15% extra oil and +5% fuel added during break in.

Just 2hrs (above 5500rpm) of 5% extra fuel.

Service manual states:

2 hours of additional fuel.

10 hours (above 5500 RPM) of enriched oil supply.

These two functions are independent of one another.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Service manual states:

2 hours of additional fuel.

10 hours (above 5500 RPM) of enriched oil supply.

These two functions are independent of one another.

Curious, so if you let the sled idle for 2 hours it would still count toward the 2 hours of additional fuel?

I ask because I'm always careful to let my sled get to temp before moving it. This adds up to a significant amount of time just loading/unloading.

...or is that too RPM dependent>?

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
Kalispell, MT
Good question. I rode a mere 25 miles the other day and am already at 3 hours...

Last edited:
Premium Features