• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avy death-Blue River

R
Dec 5, 2007
www.snowandmud.com
Hello, Yes Albert was a hell of a guy, a friend, a husband to a great wife Terry, a father to two kids and a grandfather as well. He was an ASA (alberta snowmobile association) executive. He was a Fort Saskatchewan Snow Angel (snowmobile club). He devoted alot of his time to snowmobiling in Alberta, and was an avid mountain rider. He was avalanche level 2 trained and had vast mountain experience. That day Albert was having a great day just riding in the tree's and meadows, and in the light alpine. He was always checking terrain and area's to see if they are safe to ride in. He was never an extreme rider and just enjoyed a days sledding.

Albert, buddy, I made it out alive myself, and tried to save you, found you right away, and did everything we could. Sorry this came to this. You are now in a Happy place where you can ride the hills and mountains all day, where they never end. Rest in Peace, you will be greatly missed. :(

Please go to Snowandmud and post your condolences under the Fallen Angel thread
http://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f101/fallen-angel-13926.html

Last edited:
K
The Freak Incidents like this one absolutely break a guy's heart!

Heart felt prayers to family and friends. Albert sounds like the type of person and friend we should all aspire to be like. :rose:

Reminder to all of us. You don't have to be on the slope to be a victim when it lets loose. Don't be anywhere below it either. You don't have to cause the slide to be a victim of it. Stay safe for the remainder of the season guys. It's not over yet! :beer;

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
Here's another copy and paste from one of the guys that was there when it happened.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Albert, Your were a friend and you were a friend to everyone even if you just met. You always packed so many tools, nuts and bolts, rope on your sled you can almost rebuild a sled if one was broken down. You would rather help someone out than go on a ride with your buddies, like last weekend at Fox Creek when I had some issues and you wouldn't let me get to the truck myself, you insisted on coming with me, and I wouldn't of ever made it back to the truck without your help. You helped me work through any issues I had on my sled and would leave yours in the trailer so I can fix mine in your garage. You and your family treated me like I was always welcome in your home. Terry, Sherri, all the dogs and the bird, and even the cats at your shop, I am so so sorry your loss, Im totally lost for words. I would also like to give my deepest condolences to all Alberts friends as well, this will a tough time but we will all get through it.

I met Albert through the Fort Saskatchewan Snow Angels, which I joined after a Snowmobile Rally about 5 years back. Along with him I met alot of outstanding people, we all became friends and are one large group, we snowmobile together, we go quadding together, we put up the trails every year and take them down. I usually go with Albert in his truck and put the signage together while others ride there sleds and meet us on the trails. Im not one fond of smoking at all, expecially cigars, But Albert without a big Cigar and lots of smoke billowing out, wasn't Albert and we would drive around to put the signs out, I would be coughing and sometimes gasping for air but It was a pleasure to be in his presence and working with him, And that didn't bother me one bit. In the last 5 years Ive seen his daughter grow up from a young lady to a beautiful Bride who was recently married to Cody, there a perfect couple just like there parents. My other friend Brad who was with me at the incident was a best friend to Albert, he was also over there all the time and was very close to the family, Brad hold your head up, time will heal wounds buddy. Albert was very involved with the Alberta Snowmobile Association as well. Words cannot describe this man.

I need to say my peace to Albert.

Albert.....I was there less than 30' beside you and seen the big white monster come for us, it happened so fast. I seen it coming over you, you pulled your pack, I pulled mine and ran it out as fast as I could. Then I came back as I new you were buried. We found you right away and we did everything for you. Im so sorry this happened to you. I know your in the mountains right now riding all the time, and will watch over all of us. You did absolutely nothing wrong, you rode the flats and pillow hills at the bottom of this slope that had a natural avalanche, we were at the wrong place at the wrong time. You will be totally missed my me, and will leave a empty spot in my life but will always remember your generosity and selfishness you gave to me and every one around you. Rest In Peace
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Why do I read these threads at work....gonna be a hard day after this post. RIP brother.

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
I have been going back and forth on an ABS for RDR99 and I for awhile. Now I see the need, even if you are not doing anything extreme. Time to start saving.

May Albert have untracked powder and top that incredible shoot. May his family and friends find peace and celebrate his incredible life.

Thanx to all those who have shared Albert with us.

H

HPJUNKIE

Nov 5, 2003
R.I.P ... Going to Chetwynd for an avalanche course this weekend. This is a terrible year, too many good people gone too soon...

T

turbo nytro

Dec 14, 2008
Alberta
thoughts & prayers

:( R.I.P Albert , our thoughts & prayers are with your family & friends...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AS SAD AS IT IS , IT CAN HAPPEN TO TO MOST PREPARED RIDER , RIDE SAFE EVERYONE .

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
RIP

Does anyone know was a part of the bag showing or a partial burial. Wanted to know how well the bag worked.

R
Dec 5, 2007
www.snowandmud.com
RIP

Does anyone know was a part of the bag showing or a partial burial. Wanted to know how well the bag worked.

He was just below the snow, some of the bag was spotted at the 6.5m peeps search, this did make it alot easier to find him. The bag was deflated, he was face down, back up. I believe this did help. There was no probe needed, Trees dont help when you have a bag though. He had the snowpulse. I had the ABS bag, that saved my back as well as when that huge rush of snow hit me with the broken trees and all that. Either way thats one more thing. I will have add a spot to my list of items now too.

ravenlunatic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2008
Revy- Raven
So sorry for your the loss of another rider!
Condolances to all family and freinds.
Hope that everyone involved can get through this difficult time!

S

summit800x

Dec 5, 2007
Red Deer
I can't imagine the feelings Alberts family and freinds are having. I never knew Albert but Its guys like Albert that make sledding what it is - Its not the endless fresh, bottemless deep snow or the blue sky days - its guys like Albert that make it all worth while. Keep your heads up high and be proud.

Premium Features