• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avi Pack- You ever pulled the cord?

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
This weekend I had an accidental discharge of my Ortovox pack with rolling my sled over to get unstuck. The handle must’ve hooked onto the track just as the sled rolled over.

Well, fast forward to today as I was rolling it all back up after it drying out. Since the cartridge was out, I started wondering how hard it actually is to pull the cord and how easy to accidentally set it off. Well, lets say I thought something was jammed up, since I was pulling pretty hard, so I though and no “click” was happening. So I threw the pack on and gave it a pretty firm yank and CLICK! Success!!

The question I have is, “Do you know how hard you will actually have to pull to activate your avi pack?”

I think it’s a good thing to know and would recommend everyone to test the triggers sensitivity, assuming your cartridge is not connected and your pack is set up for “practice” discharges.

Stay safe everyone and be sure you know your safety gear as much as we know our sleds.

What packs are you running? The new Klim one is pretty intriguing

8ea9b62091b00b571d54883cd9b7be35.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moab11

Lifetime Membership
Feb 24, 2011
Great White North
I think that is one of the best features of the Alpride E1 that Klim uses, the ability to test/practice deploying at home for basically no cost.
Not to mention the ability to repack on the hill, pop in a couple of AA batteries and be good to go again.

I just wish they weren't so expensive, still saving up for one for next season.

U
Feb 24, 2019
This weekend I had an accidental discharge of my Ortovox pack with rolling my sled over to get unstuck. The handle must’ve hooked onto the track just as the sled rolled over.

Well, fast forward to today as I was rolling it all back up after it drying out. Since the cartridge was out, I started wondering how hard it actually is to pull the cord and how easy to accidentally set it off. Well, lets say I thought something was jammed up, since I was pulling pretty hard, so I though and no “click” was happening. So I threw the pack on and gave it a pretty firm yank and CLICK! Success!!

The question I have is, “Do you know how hard you will actually have to pull to activate your avi pack?”

I think it’s a good thing to know and would recommend everyone to test the triggers sensitivity, assuming your cartridge is not connected and your pack is set up for “practice” discharges.

Stay safe everyone and be sure you know your safety gear as much as we know our sleds.

What packs are you running? The new Klim one is pretty intriguing

8ea9b62091b00b571d54883cd9b7be35.jpg

I never really thought of that. Solid advice.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I think that is one of the best features of the Alpride E1 that Klim uses, the ability to test/practice deploying at home for basically no cost.
Not to mention the ability to repack on the hill, pop in a couple of AA batteries and be good to go again.

I just wish they weren't so expensive, still saving up for one for next season.

For sure! When I got home Saturday, I looked it up after we’d been saying how cool it is! $1,200 I’m looking at the idea of having a second cartridge in the truck maybe or

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
Black diamond and pieps have a fan driven avy pack that is battery driven. I believe it uses lithium ion batteries and can be deployed something like 5 times between charges.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Everyone should be doing a discharge before every season. Even when a avi pack is bought brand new, is there not a demo discharge at the store??? This is a piece of safety equipment that should be inspected before every ride as well.

I have a spare cartridge in my gear bag for accidental releases, although I have never had one in the 10 plus years of me having a air bag.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
I have not popped mine yet, but is something I regularly second guess. Probably something I should just do to do. Any advice.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I test mine at the start of every season and keep a spare cartridge in with my gear. :)

Great plan!! I’m probably going to buy a ortovox carbon cartridge as my main and have the aluminum for backup

Marty UT

Stirring the pot
Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Utah
I have a dive shop about 5 minutes from my house, so it's nothing at all to pop my bag and get a $10 refill.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Black Diamond wants your cash to stop you from riding sleds. Big wilderness $$$ supporter. Think pipeline welder, oilfield services, whose union dues go to politicians who shut down pipeline construction and fracking. Same kind of dodge, it works for them, and the money keeps flowing the wrong way. FWIW.

S
May 2, 2013
Colorado
Black Diamond wants your cash to stop you from riding sleds. Big wilderness $$$ supporter. Think pipeline welder, oilfield services, whose union dues go to politicians who shut down pipeline construction and fracking. Same kind of dodge, it works for them, and the money keeps flowing the wrong way. FWIW.
Want to drop an actual link on that statement? It sounds like you are making associations and links that are over simplified.

Black diamond is owned by Clarus Corp. Clarus also owns Pieps and Sierra Bullets. Pete Metcalf used to be the BD CEO but has been gone since 2016.

The ties of all of these are long and twisted. So no one should take your statement at face value and they should do their research if they want to get political.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Screen shot that took 30 seconds:

1613003479427.png

Quick link for non-believers, so you can see the actual mission of these exclusionists, one of many that boast of BDE's financial support:

As I recall in my old age, BDE made their potatoes selling carabiners for Yvon Chouinard - the same guy that started Patagonia - at the time it was called Chouinard Equipment. When Chouinard Equipment filed C11 bankruptcy to avoid product liability lawsuits by dead climbers who relied on CE carabiners, the employees bought the assets out of C11 and created - all together now - Black Diamond Equipment. Yeah, they also dumped on their climbing customers thanks to the liability lawyers, too. Jeez, this is easy. I'm actually glad someone asked - just to drive home the point that they are FUNDING THE NON-MOTORIZED RECREATION INDUSTRY - with motorized user money.

For the inquisitor - I normally have two words for your tripe - and it's not Merry Christmas - but you tossed the softball...

Last edited:
S
May 2, 2013
Colorado
I'm not looking for an argument here. I want facts. Your screenshot and weblink are from 2017. That same page in 2021 doesn't show BD as a business member anymore. Someone has the old page archived for search purposes. Sketchy.

Like I said BD has gone through changes and has even teamed with the motorized industry like Klim. But hey if you want to live in the past and never forget or forgive anyone for past alliances or transgressions that is on you. The rest of us can make our own decisions on who to spend our money with.

I get the hate towards SUWA, Sierra Club, WildEarth and so on but your anger can blind you. You guys have a real ugly side when someone challenges you.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I’ve learned from being a diehard backcountry hunter, that many of the products I’ve used are from companies that might HATE hunters or are anti gun supporters. I’ve tried to find replacements, but their gear is great! Sure there are pro “me” companies and I support them when it makes sense. Well, the same can be said for what toilet paper, toothpaste, socks, bandaids, wrenches, and so on! I know that there are tons of companies that don’t support my beliefs, want to make everything wilderness, want to legalize abortion and so on.

I just realize that we won’t truly know where our money is always ending up and what it’s supporting. We can pick and choose, sure. But we might be left with nothing to buy if we draw a line in the dirt, snow or asphalt.

My two cents.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I’ve set my Bca bag off accidentally the same way, rolling a sled over. I bought a hand pump so I can pump it back up myself, but recently my bottle has developed a slow leak out of nowhere. I’ve been just topping it off before rides as it only loses a couple hundred psi over the course of a week, but it’s got me considering the new klim one. The cost and the fact I kinda like the protection of the Bca vest is giving me reservations though. I should probably contact Bca about my leak and see if they’ll do anything about it. I’m not sure what the warranty is though on the bottles.

Premium Features