• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avalanche Stampede Pass 2/25/18

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
That’s a sketchy spot. I’ve ridden in the trees below there a few times and whenever I’ve popped out on that face I’ve pretty much scurried back into the trees as quick as I can. There’s spots at the top with big corniches too. Like JVB said at some point we will learn the whole story. I feel bad for everyone involved.
Bags MASSIVLEY increase your chances of surviving an avalanche. I don’t agree that having a bag makes you take more chances either. I don’t want to be buried. I ride with a great crew, my battle buddy and I have practiced with our beacons quite a bit but you have MINUTES to find someone and dig them out. They have to see you get caught, they have to be close to make a difference, everyone in range of the searching beacons has to have their crap together and turn their beacons to search, you gotta have enough manpower for the dig out because digging Avy snow is HARD, you have to dig right to his airway and they can’t be buried more than 6’. All in about 4 minutes, maybe 6.
Most people can’t get their beacons switched to search and get to a good spot to start a search in that time. I don’t want to be buried. Good decisions is the first and best defense and a bag is a good decision.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I completely agree with Jeremy. Anybody that deals with this isn't going to be rushing to Social media to talk. I sure as hell wouldn't.

Let's remember something very important, often times internal injuries are what lead to fatalities in avalanches. I'm not sure how many of guys have been in one or closely observed the remains but many avy's are like giant boulder fields that will crush anything.

The avy bag is a tool. It's not a life jacket.

Premium Features