• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avalanche... Are you prepared??

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
Reading through the off-season posts, I see people make mention of avalanche preparedness several times. Most of these posts are related to making sure their pack fits correctly, or opinions on which vest is best. While these are all valid points of concern, there is a lot more we can do in the off-season to make sure we are ready for the upcoming cold weather.

Definitely make sure your pack fits and you are comfortable with how it feels with all of your gear. That doesn't mean throw your jacket on and then your pack to test fit it... Rather put on all of your cold weather gear that you would wear on your coldest day, then make sure your pack fits and is still comfortable.

Test fire your pack. Go through the entire system and make sure everything is in prime operating condition. If you find any issues, have them addressed now. Most companies are slow right now so it is prime time to have any maintenance items addressed. Most will probably have less than a week turnaround time.

Take a look at your hard gear. Probe and shovel, and saw if you have one. Check for any cracks in the shovel handle and blade. Pull your probe out and assemble it checking for cracks or bends that will affect it's performance.

While you have your pack out, go through it's contents and make sure you have EVERYTHING you will need in the event of an emergency. Be sure you know how to use everything in your pack.

Lastly, and most important, check your beacon, or beacons, for proper operation. You should have pulled your batteries out at the end of the season, so put a fresh set in and power it up. Get your riding partners together and practice searches, especially multiple burial searches. Grab a few beers and throw some food on the grill while you're doing this. Make it fun. Make damn sure your whole group is on the same level with this. Have a routine that everyone is comfortable with. Designate a few people to take charge if there is a burial. Nothing is worse than having an emergency and the guy who knows everything is the one buried. Chaos will certainly ensue.

I am a firm believer in classroom and hands on training. Please seriously consider taking a formal avalanche training class with your riding buddies. If someone in your group doesn't want to attend, I seriously challenge you to reconsider who you ride with. This training is for you just as much as everyone in your group. I want to be found if I'm buried. I want my partners to know how to analyze snow conditions and understand the dangers. I also want them to know that I have the ability to find them in the event of a burial.

Now, having done all this does not take the risk out of riding in the backcountry. Please remember to use common sense. Do not get yourself into a situation where you feel uncomfortable. Speak up if something doesn't feel, or look, right. Get out of your comfort zone and raise the flag. We all have a responsibility to our friends and family to be safe and practice avalanche awareness.

Be safe out there and please consider your avalanche preparedness in the coming months BEFORE the snow flies.

Premium Features