• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avalanche air bags or vest for big guys?

biggdaddy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2008
OK so who makes the best avalanche vest or pack for big guys 300# range? I am a big man and am just wondering if any of them are better for big guys or fit a 3XL guy any better. Was looking at the bca mountain vest and snowpulse highmark pro 3.0. Any help would be great. I know the easy fix is diet but was wondering if there is one that I could use while on the diet?

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
bca vest

i Had bca float backpack and switched to a bca vest and really like it. I am small guy but i think no matter the size the vest is the way to go. Mine is the early vest that is a "one size fits all" the new ones have two sizes a larger size and a smaller size. I wish i had the smaller one . mine fits but Im 5 11 150 and i have it sinched all the way in. the backpacks put more pressure on your shoulders where the vests seem to spread it out and also they have much more protection built in. I sold my tek vest when i got my bca vest. If interested i may be interested in selling it just to get the a newer one in a smaller size.

dragonflats

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
st. james mn
To answer OP original question I have owned 4 BCA airbags two backpacks two vests I find the vests way more comfortable and less fatiguing. The vests also have pockets and pouches for radio and beacon. I normally wear large or extra-large depending upon manufacturer riding jackets. I have the new style smaller BCA vest and I have at least half of the adjustment straps left to go before they are to their fullest length.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

biggdaddy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2008
I wanna war from big guys

OK so I am hoping to hear from some big guys what they are using. I like the idea of a vest but want to make sure that they definitely are going to fit a bigger guy. I have tried them on in the past and didn’t seem like it would fit comfortably at all it was just too small. I’m hoping there’s some bigger guys out there that might be running one or the other That could give some input on this first hand experience. Thanks

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I think most of the guys that have tried both the best and the backpack have opted for the best WHEN THEY FIT.

But depending on where you carry most of your weight, the best may be a No-Go for you.

I, like the rest, migrated to the best and absolutely LOVE IT.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I am 240 before gear. Run between 2x and 3x gear, but I do like a loose fit. Love my BCA best. Plenty more adjustment, great fit. I haven't had a avalanche backpack before this vest, but I always hated wearing a backpack. No problem at all with the vest for me.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I'm 6'-2" and peaked out about 285lb (on my way back down luckily). Wear 2XL shirts and coats. I had the old one-size BCA vest for a couple years and it was ok adjusted out all the way, but was tight, I fought the zipper wanting to go down on it's own throughout the day, and it seemed to always want to ride up in the front (toward your neck). I tried on the most updated version BCA vest in the XL/XXL size at the dealership last fall and I broke out the credit card right away. The fit is much better for bigger guys and all of the issues I had with the old design are now gone with the newer one. I have the adjustment points let out most of the way, but there's some room to go yet.

If there's a stocking dealer near you I suggest doing what I did: go in with all your upper body gear (coat, helmet, and in my case neck brace) and try the system on like that. Cinch it up snug, but not too tight, and jump around. If it fits and doesn't move around on you then that's the one to get.

Premium Features