• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

asphalt XCR fouling problem

S
Nov 27, 2007
Kamloops BC
Looking for some ideas on where to look for the problem Im having on this sled.

1999 Poo xcr 800. Its piped, pored, and has a 180hp kit on it. Has Boysen Reeds and Megatron carbs on it.

Running C-12. / premix

My friend got the sled set up this way. Its ran low 10s (a high 9 at sea level) Its never sounded to me like its had a nice idle sound (sounds like one cyl was off). One you get up in the rpms a bit it cleans up and sounds nice and crisp.

The compression was (135 I think) even across the 3 holes. I wanted to test the theory that while idling it sounded like one cyl was weak. When I pull the primary cyl spark plug wire while its idling it seems to make very little difference in how the sled is running. When you pull the center or mag plug wire the sled nearly dies.

We ran the sled a few weekends and performance was sub par...high 10s. With crap 60ft times. We thru new plugs in the sled and it perked right up and ran low 10s and 60s dropped a fair bit. We though prob solved. I tried pulling the plug wires again and the prim cly was making a bigger difference but still not as much as the other 2. The sled ran good for that weekend and the next and then the following weekend it fell off again.

My initial thoughts were that the sled idle circuit must be fat and is fouling a plug (as a drag only sled though the sled rarely idles) I looked into how to tune the Megatron (Lectron) carbs and found they were quite diff with no pilot jet. Interestingly the sleds idle once you rev it up doesnt drop as quickly as most engines. Ive got my mach z to compare it to for example. It will drop to say 2500 and eventually fall to idle (1600 eg) According to Lectron carb tuning docs this can indicate that it is lean on the idle end.

We pulled the slides and needles and measured the needle length and they looked to be equal (as near as my manual caliper could measure). We first leaned the mix across the 3 needles by 1/4 turn and ran it. The rpms took forever to come down to idle, which seemed to indicate that it was even more in the too lean direction. We decided to go fatter than the original setting by 1/4 turn. The idle dropped much quicker but still not quite as quick as Im used to.

We even pulled the center carb body and the prim carb body and switched them (slides and needles stayed where there were) The carbs also have clear bowls and the float levels look good. Switching bodies made no difference.

We swapped coils from primary to center cyl and that also made no difference. There seems to be an equal amount of spark in all 3 holes.

I asked Lectron which needles would be good to start with as a baseline and they said Metering rods should be 8-1XL. Adjustable power jets at 1 turn out to start. The sled has a 7 needle in it which should be leaner than the 8.

Oh one last thing. The idle set screws dont effect anything at all. The slides are high enough (from cable tention) that the set screws do touch the slides apparently. This should indicate that the slides are open more than normal at idle. If we do have a weak cyl they might have to be open this much to stop it from stalling.

Any thoughts on where we should look next?

Last edited:
M

minecat

Nov 27, 2007
Winnemucca, Nevada
I would check CDI I am having a similar problem with my 1500 with xcr ignition I am going to try a new cdi on tuesday alos have you looked in the cylinder yet through plug hole or take exhaust off could have a bad cylinder

snownman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
weak cyl...

have you checked the crank phase? especially on the pto end

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
XCR

Get it fired up and check for air leak. Spray brake cleaner arround all gasket and seals to see if idle changes. Crank seal, carb adapter, base gasket ect. The 99 has digital ignition so as indicated above, your CDI may be going away. Swap on another one to test although it sounds like air leak to me. Like you say, the carb slider setting isn't right but I have never run Lectrons.

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
135 psi. Find the tools to measuse the cc of the trapped volume of the combustion chamber. C12 you should be around 15:1 .

T

trickedxcr

Sep 4, 2010
UP michigan
Looking for some ideas on where to look for the problem Im having on this sled.

1999 Poo xcr 800. Its piped, pored, and has a 180hp kit on it. Has Boysen Reeds and Megatron carbs on it.

Running C-12. / premix

My friend got the sled set up this way. Its ran low 10s (a high 9 at sea level) Its never sounded to me like its had a nice idle sound (sounds like one cyl was off). One you get up in the rpms a bit it cleans up and sounds nice and crisp.

The compression was (135 I think) even across the 3 holes. I wanted to test the theory that while idling it sounded like one cyl was weak. When I pull the primary cyl spark plug wire while its idling it seems to make very little difference in how the sled is running. When you pull the center or mag plug wire the sled nearly dies.

We ran the sled a few weekends and performance was sub par...high 10s. With crap 60ft times. We thru new plugs in the sled and it perked right up and ran low 10s and 60s dropped a fair bit. We though prob solved. I tried pulling the plug wires again and the prim cly was making a bigger difference but still not as much as the other 2. The sled ran good for that weekend and the next and then the following weekend it fell off again.

My initial thoughts were that the sled idle circuit must be fat and is fouling a plug (as a drag only sled though the sled rarely idles) I looked into how to tune the Megatron (Lectron) carbs and found they were quite diff with no pilot jet. Interestingly the sleds idle once you rev it up doesnt drop as quickly as most engines. Ive got my mach z to compare it to for example. It will drop to say 2500 and eventually fall to idle (1600 eg) According to Lectron carb tuning docs this can indicate that it is lean on the idle end.

We pulled the slides and needles and measured the needle length and they looked to be equal (as near as my manual caliper could measure). We first leaned the mix across the 3 needles by 1/4 turn and ran it. The rpms took forever to come down to idle, which seemed to indicate that it was even more in the too lean direction. We decided to go fatter than the original setting by 1/4 turn. The idle dropped much quicker but still not quite as quick as Im used to.

We even pulled the center carb body and the prim carb body and switched them (slides and needles stayed where there were) The carbs also have clear bowls and the float levels look good. Switching bodies made no difference.

We swapped coils from primary to center cyl and that also made no difference. There seems to be an equal amount of spark in all 3 holes.

I asked Lectron which needles would be good to start with as a baseline and they said Metering rods should be 8-1XL. Adjustable power jets at 1 turn out to start. The sled has a 7 needle in it which should be leaner than the 8.

Oh one last thing. The idle set screws dont effect anything at all. The slides are high enough (from cable tention) that the set screws do touch the slides apparently. This should indicate that the slides are open more than normal at idle. If we do have a weak cyl they might have to be open this much to stop it from stalling.

Any thoughts on where we should look next?

1st thing is if that motor has a HTG 180 kit on it throw it away!The stock transfer ports on that motor are to high from the factory to begin with and the 180 kit raises them even higher.2nd c-12 is way to high octane for stock compression.you would have to be around 14:1 with timing almost all the way advanced to run that fuel.When you remobe the cylinder shim kit from the cylinder this will increase compression quite a bit probably to around 13.5-14:1 using the HTG heads you have on there now.3rd do you have the carb vent lines hooked up?if not hooked up to the airbox than it will create a rich condition of around 4 jet sizes.if running no air box than your missing out on some power.4th the 99's had a update on there VES springs to the same part number that the 2000-2003 had.5th xcr's are prone to CDI problems.due a ohms test on the stator at first to see if something shows up.i have came across ones that tested out good (ohmed out good) but were still faulty.jason

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Check the reeds, a cracked or poor sealing reed will affect idle but clean up at WFO.

Do the Lectron's have a choke on them? If so, make sure it is adjusted more than closed and that the plunger spring on that cylinder isn't smashed too small so the choke floats open slightly.

sled_guy

S
Nov 27, 2007
Kamloops BC
The problem came down to the needles. They were adjusted past their allowable tolerance in order to lean out the mixture. When adjusted within tolerance it ran much better.

The sled no longer has a 180 kit on it (if it ever did). The cyl shim it had one was likely removed when the engine was ported.

We will likely take the head off and measure the head volume to get a true indication of the engines octane needs.

thanx for the replies.

Premium Features