• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ARO suspension setup thread

H
Oct 10, 2019
I recently bought a 2017 rmx450z w a 2018 aro-20le. I noticed the previous owner drilled new holes in the tunnel to mount the rear suspension about an inch higher. What effect would this cause to the suspension characteristics? Should i put it back to stock?
6e6a9b35b211c58fd72c44c435fb3450.jpg

Ok now that we have established all pre-2020 kits have the rear shock mount hole drilled in the wrong place. Basically, the hole needs to be moved up 3/4 inch. Does anyone have the exact dimensions or documentation on this? I'm going to give it a go on my 18 137 LE. Will post results here when completed. If someone can give the exact dimensions I will make a 3D printable jig and post it here as well.

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
Dude... I appreciate the level of detail and precision you're going for but it's not that exact of a need. I use a caliper to measure the 3/4 up scribe an arc wirh the caliper drill the top of the arc. I've done 3 of them that way and they all are straight. There no ideler wheels or anything on there warranting it being perfect to the thousandth.

H
Oct 10, 2019
Dude... I appreciate the level of detail and precision you're going for but it's not that exact of a need. I use a caliper to measure the 3/4 up scribe an arc with the caliper drill the top of the arc. I've done 3 of them that way and they all are straight. There no ideler wheels or anything on there warranting it being perfect to the thousandth.

So you are saying just make an arc 3/4" up from the center of the factory hole and drill the highest point of the arc?

caveryis

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2018
Anyone know a Canadian shop that I can send my TSS to for an X-Tune?

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
RMR might well take that on, they do a lot of snowbike suspension setup - very well I might add. I'd give them a call.

On the other hand sending that thing to 350 - 375psi works fine tbh. Get a pump that goes to 400 and try that before you get carried away with valving changes - imo.

caveryis

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2018
RMR might well take that on, they do a lot of snowbike suspension setup - very well I might add. I'd give them a call.

On the other hand sending that thing to 350 - 375psi works fine tbh. Get a pump that goes to 400 and try that before you get carried away with valving changes - imo.
600 psi pump on order. Thanks!

J
Nov 16, 2010
conifer co.
This is my second season with the X tune, I have not really noticed any difference though. I only got it done because my shock would collapse and not return to normal height.

M
Jan 12, 2018
timbersled.com has sprockets from 17 to 19 tooth. I have also found that KTM countershaft sprockets kind of fit. I'm running a 16 tooth from a ktm lc4 Dual Sport on my Drive axle and it slides right on but on the jackshaft it's pretty tight and I have to hammer it on so results May Vary.

To move the bars back I use a 2in Rox riser at a 45° angle rearward.I'm selling these for 50 bucks if you're interested they have the rubber anti-vibration mounts so they twist pretty easy if you crash but the solid version is available on eBay.
How do I buy your handle bar mount?

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
Stumbled on this thread looking for information on reducing ski pressure. Wound up swapping the Front and rear shocks and WOW, what an improvement! The Ski feels much lighter now, but totally controllable on the trails still. How does running 200+ LBS FTS and light RTS do with trenching or getting up on the snow? Any negative side effects there?

Looking at a 200lb FTS Spring and leaving 150 in the rear. 225 rider weight fully geared up.

E
Dec 19, 2007
If you like it that way then leave it. Riot kits come that way. Don't worry about getting up on the snow. It's better to have less ski pressure so you don't get stuck. Remember you have to get moving first before you stand any chance of getting on top of the snow. In the spring you might get passed by someone in an open flat bowl but if that bothers you, buy a sled.

C
Jan 5, 2023
Canada
Hi Guys,

I have been lurking in the background since last winter reading all the good info you guys have posted. Its hard to find info on Timbersleds on the deep dark internet. Thank you for posting your insight on this stuff!

I have been playing around a lot with an 2018 ARO LE 120 with TSS and Trio setup on a 2018 Yamaha 450.

Like these guys have all said setup is a huge thing! Getting that track level to the ground and getting that front ski to sit properly is HUGE!!..
I started with this kit and the center skag was worn in the front exactly what you dont want! Replaced the rubber and added material under it to position the ski how I wanted it.
A good tip I found is to cut some 2x4 and put them on edge under the front ski between the center skag, then do the same in two spots under the track between the lugs. Doing this on a level garage floor or something is the best. This way you aren't using the ski skag and track paddles to setup the bike. Majority of the weight is on the bottom side of the ski and the rails of the track.

I drilled the new holes for the rear, heated the original area and tapped the spacers out with a punch.. Then moved them to the new holes. But fender washers as spacers do work as well!
I even messed with the shape of the side metal skags if you want to call them that on the ski.. But honestly removing them for my style of riding worked the best..
I ordered the springs to try 250 in the front and 150 in the rear but I ended up buying a new 120R race kit.. I couldn't wait to try the new kit so I removed the ARO before I got to test the springs. It also runs the old mtn horse ski with a shorter front spindle..

So now I need to start over but my first test ride on it feels unreal but has some tendencies of the ARO issues but a less amount..
Its set with stiff valving and 200 lbs springs front and back.. The beauty of this kit is the weight at 94lbs and having the riot frame work moving everything forward a ton.
Going to attack it the same way as the ARO to help fix the handling.
Big things that helps on a newer Yamaha is foot peg mounts, moving them down and back helps out a TON!
Handle bars in the rear mounts on the top triple clamp as well.. I have a lot more things of a Yamaha but I dont want to get off topic of the ARO handling issues..

Premium Features