• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Aro ski mods for track/flatlandn'?

A
Jan 15, 2010
Sherwood Park AB
Building a track/flatland setup and leaning towards a riot but have never felt confident on the aro ski at high speed on hard pack. I'm 100% confident dragging bars in corners with the yeti ski. Any mods to improve the aro ski for this application? What are timbersled race crews running?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Building a track/flatland setup and leaning towards a riot but have never felt confident on the aro ski at high speed on hard pack. I'm 100% confident dragging bars in corners with the yeti ski. Any mods to improve the aro ski for this application? What are timbersled race crews running?
Ski’s are cheap.
Run a yeti ski.
(I couldn’t get that amount of bite with my aro ski)

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Fwiw, Currently ride a timbersled backcountry ski, a yeti ski and a cmx ski. No experience with aro ski. High speed on trail prefer cmx then yeti then backcountry. In deep with no crust I prefer yeti, cmx then backcountry. Heavy crust prefer backcountry, cmx, yeti. For me heavy crust is dangerous on the yeti. The cmx ski takes more input to turn, sometimes alot more. If young and strong and can tolerate working the cmx all day I think it would be the best option. Of course ski pressure makes a difference. I was able to reduce needed input with reduced ski pressure with the cmx but that also reduced some aspects of other skis.

E
Dec 19, 2007
To me I always felt the side wings touched down too soon in the hard pack taking weight off the center carbide. I cut the sides down pretty low and seemed better but I don't race. I still don't like it as much as the back country.

A
Jan 15, 2010
Sherwood Park AB
Ski’s are cheap.
Run a yeti ski.
(I couldn’t get that amount of bite with my aro ski)
Do you know how much is required to mount yeti ski to aro spindle? Going with a riot s so can't just run the yeti spindle without having forks 2" up in the clamps to balance out. I know c3 had a kit at one time to mount yeti to mountain horse spindle but doubt anything available off the shelf now.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Do you know how much is required to mount yeti ski to aro spindle? Going with a riot s so can't just run the yeti spindle without having forks 2" up in the clamps to balance out. I know c3 had a kit at one time to mount yeti to mountain horse spindle but doubt anything available off the shelf now.
I just bought the rubber from yeti made for the TS spindle. Bolt it right on.
Just cut your own rubber from a gripper ski durapro dampener if the adaptive yeti rubber is not available anymore.

R
Sep 15, 2010
To me I always felt the side wings touched down too soon in the hard pack taking weight off the center carbide. I cut the sides down pretty low and seemed better but I don't race. I still don't like it as much as the back country.
I was not a fan of how darty the traverse (aro) ski was on hard pack either, just terribly unpredictable down the trail. Found a thread on this forum suggesting to cut the outer skegs down to 50% height and taper them from 0% (front of skeg) to 50% (middle of skeg). I did exactly that, before last season and it is much more predictable and stable on hard pack. I didn't notice any negative side effects in the deep powder either.

A
Jan 15, 2010
Sherwood Park AB
I just bought the rubber from yeti made for the TS spindle. Bolt it right on.
Just cut your own rubber from a gripper ski durapro dampener if the adaptive yeti rubber is not available anymore.
Thanks!!! Rubber is still available through c3. Went a little different direction this week with the prairie setup. Bought aro spindle, front end fit kit, yeti ski, paddle tire and 96 1.375" studs. Not 100% sure if it will provide the desired effect but might be the best for what I'm trying to achieve(closest summer moto feel in low/packed snow conditions). I run trelleborgs in fall and spring that work good but once im in more than 8" of snow the dirtbike feel goes away with the sinking front tire and constant wheel spin. Hopefully the sand paddle and studs give a fair amount of forward push to overcome the lack of footprint.

Screenshot_20211019-202422_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features