• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ARO 137" VS ARO 3 129"

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
I am considering these two kits for a new 500cc KTM/Husky. I would like any firsthand feedback from people who have ridden both of these kits.

I am assuming the 3" square paddle handles worse on a packed trail, or hard spring like snow?

Which climbs better in deep snow, the 3" shorter track or the longer better flotation 2.5" track?

Will the turning radius on the 129" 3" be a noticeable difference compared to the 137"?

Other considerations, opinions, info is welcome.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Aro 3 no argument better in all respects... just like sleds unless you are a road rider

Sent from my SM-F900U using Tapatalk

E
Dec 19, 2007
The aro3 needs a lot of power and the 500s don't have it. They are trail bikes by nature. The longer and wider tracks with less paddle will feel faster but turn worse. Tough call.

s.e.xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2008
juneau ak
I just went with the 137 2.5 because of our main riding area we get rain at times then the base turns icy. My summit with the 3" track doesn't like the hard base layer. My Polaris with the 2.4 track does better in those conditions. I figured the 137 will be the best compromise. FWI

M

MountainRider05

Nov 29, 2007
Kennewick,WA
Im on a husky 501 with aro3 and my dads on a ktm450 factory edition with Aro3! Plenty of power on both kits. Made mine even better with some gearing changes. We both came of 120s.. hands down for my riding style theres no question im super happy with the Aro3. The hook up is on another level! My buddy built a new 2020 fe501 with new 2020 aro 137.. it goes well too but i think its neck and neck with aro3 but not near as playful. I think after him riding my aro3 it made him second guess the 137 but he Also has me beat in weight by 50lbs or so. So thats why hes a 137 guy.

J

JimBridger

Mar 11, 2013
SE Idaho
The aro 3 would be perfect if we had another 30 hp on our bikes. In deep snow the other day, the aro 3 could never get out of 1st. Both were on 2018+ yz450f. They were wishing they had the regular 129.

My buddies on 300's and 120 aros broke trail all day since they could get enough rpm to get on top of the snow.

I almost wonder if a non ported 3" 120 would be the sweet spot.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
The aro 3 would be perfect if we had another 30 hp on our bikes. In deep snow the other day, the aro 3 could never get out of 1st. Both were on 2018+ yz450f. They were wishing they had the regular 129.

My buddies on 300's and 120 aros broke trail all day since they could get enough rpm to get on top of the snow.

That is what I want... 120 3 inch

Sent from my SM-F900U using Tapatalk

s.e.xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2008
juneau ak

I run the 137 on the 19 yz 450 and im usually in 3rd and sometimes hit 2nd if im in a slow zone. no recluse on the new bike so I tend to shift into 2nd more so I don't stall out. I did swap the gearing around in the case. id say you have a issue other than a track kit?

E
Dec 19, 2007
When i demoed the aro3 I noticed the stuck in first gear feeling. Of course I could use 2nd or higher at times but I was always aware of how big the paddles are no matter what gear. It would literally climb a wall in first gear though.

My own bikes both have cmx tracks cut to aro width one is a 120 and the other 137. To me it seems the 137 takes less power because it's always floating on top. But it won't corner as good.

M

MountainRider05

Nov 29, 2007
Kennewick,WA
Im sure bike set it wasn’t messed with to much on the demos but on my 501 1st is completely useless 2nd was good but i was borderline on the rev limiter when climbing in the deep steep trees and wishing i could hold 3rd longer. After doing some playing around with gearing im now holding 3rd. And thats climbing in the trees with 2-1/2 -3ft of pow. On the flat open stuff im banging into 4th for a bit! Not sure how someone would not be able to get out of first gear!

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Seems to me the ARO 129 is really the sweet spot for track length for mountain riders, with a case for 137's for bigger guys or really deep snow. The 3" looks cool, and I haven't tried one TBH, but my head is telling me most bikes don't have enough power to make it a big advantage.

S
Oct 23, 2019
I have ridden the ARO 3 and the 137" and I really don't think that the aro 3 takes more power to run at all. It hooks up so much better that you dont need as much power to get going and it floats super well also. You can " round " the lugs on the aro 3 if you want to but I have not talked to anyone who has done this. The aro 3 track has marks on the corners of the outside lugs where you can hot knife them to make it a convex track

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Interesting topic . I have 2020 freeride Yeti 129 12 wide track and a SS 129 narrow 10 inch wide track. both on same KTM race bikes The SS 129 narrow kit absolutely screams and most cases even in the really deep powder out performs the freeride .The track speed soo much higher that it carries more flotation once she gets moving. I,m geared high where 1st is 31 mph .I have determined track speed is magic on these machines, when RPM pulls down even a little ewer better off dropping a gear to get track speed back up ,the wider kit has more paddle however it is slower due to motor loading .

Last edited:
E
Dec 19, 2007
Its crazy the difference in opinions there are about this topic. I'm sure part of that is the snow conditions we have rode in during testing. All I can add is talking with a pro sled buddy who's main ride is a turbo 850 165 3" and he prefers the 2.5" when the snow isn't deep. So even with unlimited hp the 3" isn't always going to be better, its just determining how many days a year it will shine and the rest will suck.

P
Nov 30, 2013
My vote is solid to the ARO3. Ive been on snow bikes for bunch of years and have done my part to optimize every setup I've had or been around to its fullest potential (track swaps, gearing swaps....voodoo oils...haha)

I also have been using a Husky 501 for all of my years riding but have riden and ridden with almost every 450 out there and a few 450 BB's. I started my season this year on a minty fresh ARO120 and had it up for sale after 5 mins on an ARO3. Its a game changer in all forms of the riding we do in western Canada, with a close second to the ARO 129 2.5".
The floatation and dig of that track is like cheating. And if my clapped out stock 501 can pull 6th gear on a snow trail to hit Alpine (over 7000')then the guys who's bike couldn't pull out of second has some serous issues. 2nd and 3rd gear in the deep stuff and I can't stop giggling at where it will pull a line that any other kit I've been on wouldn't have even been a thought.

So by the second trip I took this year I had an ARO3 mounted on my bike and without a doubt, out of the box there isn't anything that can touch it in the various conditions we have had this year in BC.

M

MountainRider05

Nov 29, 2007
Kennewick,WA
My vote is solid to the ARO3. Ive been on snow bikes for bunch of years and have done my part to optimize every setup I've had or been around to its fullest potential (track swaps, gearing swaps....voodoo oils...haha)

I also have been using a Husky 501 for all of my years riding but have riden and ridden with almost every 450 out there and a few 450 BB's. I started my season this year on a minty fresh ARO120 and had it up for sale after 5 mins on an ARO3. Its a game changer in all forms of the riding we do in western Canada, with a close second to the ARO 129 2.5".
The floatation and dig of that track is like cheating. And if my clapped out stock 501 can pull 6th gear on a snow trail to hit Alpine (over 7000')then the guys who's bike couldn't pull out of second has some serous issues. 2nd and 3rd gear in the deep stuff and I can't stop giggling at where it will pull a line that any other kit I've been on wouldn't have even been a thought.

So by the second trip I took this year I had an ARO3 mounted on my bike and without a doubt, out of the box there isn't anything that can touch it in the various conditions we have had this year in BC.

yep u hit it spot on!! So glad i went with the Aro3!

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
New 2020 KTM 450 with ARO 3 today, zero time on bike/kit when we left, at the truck wet new powder on base so absolute traction, by 6000 and up 14" of dense but dry powder and we were on a new ktm break in ride so no steep hill sawing.

Out of the box , springs on the ARO too soft for rider over 200 lbs, probably too soft for 160 lb rider. As the day warmed and powder was getting denser, toooo much push on the ski, easy fix with more springs. Traction wise the 3" is impressive, I virtually idled up through some pretty good side hills amused by the traction and ease at which you could make uphill switchbacks .
When engine is broken in and you can grab throttle this is going to work as soon as we upgrade the shock springs.
2020 KTM on the #2 power mode was as good as you could expect from a 450, smoooth and responsive. Mode #1 might even be more docile than my stock 500, good in the dirt but not the snow.

TSS equipped, TSS still in my opinion not a mountain accessory of value, too much humping up the hill and lofting ski when you needed traction instead of that porpoising sinking feeling, yeah way more air to ridged was far better. On a bumpy trail three bumps and it packed up and just left you with bad geometry, a hell of a sales gimmick when selling to pilgrims.

Ditto for the big shock on the forks. Not sure who dreamed up this idea, way too much stiction, too much weight, for the money spent he was riding inferior front forks. WE will get that handled, not sure the dealer will take these two FOX air shox accessories back.

3 guys swapping bikes all day to evaluate what 20k will do for you in the snow.
Impressive 2020 KTM
Impressive 3" track
129" length not so much
stock ARO 3 suspension with upgraded shocks disappointing
KTM seat ? Austrians must have a concrete azz and this seat will match that
Older heavier KTM with 3" shorter height feels lighter smaller and more agile

hugely sucessful day and no issue we can't fix with money as long as we avoid the dealers advice.

Premium Features