• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ARO 120 tunnel cut short

Z
Sep 14, 2020
Picked up my first snowbike setup couple weeks back, a 2018 YZ450 paired with a 2018 ARO 120, however I noticed a couple days later the tunnel had been cut short. After questioning the seller he said it was flexing one way so he cut it, said it helps in deep snow, wheelies better and makes it easier to turn out of climbs faster getting stuck less.

Has anyone experienced flexing on their kits/shortening the tunnel for better performance?

New to the sport so please enlighten me!

Thanks

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 10.06.59 PM.png

M
Sep 18, 2015
Seems a bit suspicious. I understand the principle with people cutting sled tunnels, but not sure what there is to gain here. I'm curious how you didn't notice it before purchasing, though?

Z
Sep 14, 2020
Yes me too ?, however like I said i'm new to the sport never owned one before and was blinded by a good deal. I'm thinking it could have had a crash and bent or cracked so he cut it.

What I really want to know is what i'm losing besides storage space and maybe the handle at the back? Im sure timbersled designed it with a long tunnel for a reason would like to know what that is..

Z
Sep 14, 2020
Update from a friend who has been snowbiking for 10yrs+:

The only purpose for the tunnel extending past that idler wheel mount point is to stop snow from blowing up into the person behind you. Flat land sledders care about that, Mountain sledders do not. It won't hurt or help with performance. It will make it more awkward to lift from the back.

I guess i'm in the clear, as far as performance gains we'll have to wait and see!

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I would think you might be able to trench a little more and still make it out...

Sent from my SM-F900U using Tapatalk

E
Dec 19, 2007
It looks cool but you will be covered in snow from the track. It might even pile up on the back of your collar. No big deal if its dry and fluffy.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
It makes a difference for aggressive deep snow riders , when you carve threw deep snow even if it's light the extended tunnel creates drag and even resistance to steering the machine .
It sounds almost stupid to say but when your in it all day it wears on a person , you won't know until you've tried it , why would you want the resistance when everyone is trying to get every possible benefit out of a better handling machine ?
The extended tunnel serves two purposes , I claim responsibilities for my actions .
One of the snowbike kit manufactures in the beginning came out with a shortened tunnel but that design got lynched .
Doesn't the ARO have a shorter tunnel now with a fender looking snowflap ?

You need to ride with another kit and pay attention , even swap rides .

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
You’re gonna need to rig something to that rear bumper. You need to have someway to lift the backend when it trenches and gets stuck or even when you’re not stuck and just need to move the back end a few feet. It doesn’t have to be an enclosed tunnel but you’re gonna wanna bolt something sticking off a few inches with a handle on it.

M
Sep 18, 2015
Yup, exactly what needpowder said. I would look at finding some sort of bumper for it to extend out to make it easier to lift out when it trenches, or even just to move it around. even just a bumper handle sticking out a few inches is better than nothing.
You’re gonna need to rig something to that rear bumper. You need to have someway to lift the backend when it trenches and gets stuck or even when you’re not stuck and just need to move the back end a few feet. It doesn’t have to be an enclosed tunnel but you’re gonna wanna bolt something sticking off a few inches with a handle on it.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Just a suggestion , the rear bumper isn't as big of a deal on these machines with a different mind set .
When you trench out in some cases , hold on to the bar and slap the machine from side to side , it's that tunnel that is holding you , some times by just easing into the throttle it will walk out .
A tug on the ski is almost a guarantee if possible while doing this .
Another is to slap it side to side than lay it over , pack under the track and stand , drive out .
Keep off of the machine if possible , I know you guys are in the nose bleed section :)
Another , lay it over , pick back up and hook you hip in the seat grab a hand full and launch it a different direction .
As you can tell , I have no bumper and at times I just grab the track with both hands and lift it to the side . Your rides would be like throwing a rag doll ?
The bumpers at times actually get in the way , when it's chest or head height and your trying to move the blasted machine while fighting that darn tunnel .
By the way , I don't get stuck , maybe a little detained but not stuck ?

Premium Features