• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are you Over 50 and STILL SHREDDING?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

JungleJim

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
at 64 still love to ride but guess i had too much fun dirt biking in earlier years and now knees are telling me you had too much fun . fearing i may have to have some knee replacement in near future. wondering how many out there riding with new knees?
My budy got good knee braces and it really helped.

JungleJim

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
53 now and spent the summer doing barley sandwich arm curls... what are everybody's go to exercise routines for getting in shape for "more experienced riders"?

ZX Guy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
52 and still riding. Looking to go to golden this winter And still riding the old zx’s 151ks and a 144

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
53 now and spent the summer doing barley sandwich arm curls... what are everybody's go to exercise routines for getting in shape for "more experienced riders"?

2019 I had a job running a mess of 5" DOM tubes weighing 95 to 115# in the lathe.
(I think maybe around 1000 pcs through the year)
Loaded twice for front and back sides.
Cross structures for excavator buckets of some sort as I understand....

Anyhow - I loaded them all by hand.
I liked the workout, and it was also WAY more profitable than trying to git any mechanical assistance involved. (crane/air balancer, etc)
I always ran them myself as I don't want someone crying about their back hurting....

But by the time the job was done for the year, I started to feel it in my left elbow where I was holding the parts upright - like you would carry a sheet of plywood eh?

That job went away and I haven't had anything nearly as "work-out" since, but on the flip side, my elbow is good to go!

So, I may be in less shape, but my arm is better to go, so I guess that's what I have to work with this year.

vernon

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2009
Took up mountain biking to keep in shape , went over the handlebars and broke some ribs. Turned 65 in September so I don't know if that was a good idea time will tell.
Sleds ready but I'm not :(

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
I (ass_u_me that) I cracked a back rib or two many years ago when picking our way through a mine field on a hydro line, and I fell off and landed on a small stump.
I could feel that day for many months after the fact, and I was .... upper 30's to maybe 40 at the time.
Good luck for a speedy recovery to you!

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Took up mountain biking to keep in shape , went over the handlebars and broke some ribs. Turned 65 in September so I don't know if that was a good idea time will tell.
Sleds ready but I'm not :(
Did the same thing, but on my sled. Rubbed some dirt on it, gave my best haha no problem grimace, and rode the rest of the day... big mistake. At 64 I'll be on a 165 Expert this year, and will probably upgrade to a Turbo next year, if I stay in the states. When duct tape doesn't hold me onto the sled any longer, then I'll consider hanging it up

powderhound1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lake Tapps
My wife just got injured August working on her she shed helping me hang gutters, broke her shoulder, arm (18 screws), and 8 ribs, physical therapy and lots of exercise now, says she will be ready to go when the snow flies, turns 60 in January, rides a 600 pro rmk, she amazes me!!!!

Y
Jan 30, 2009
52 this summer. I Have played fast pitch softball (fastball in Canada) since i was 14. So, playing WITH my boys (21 yr old twins & a 15 yr old pain in the ass), is both a blast and a great excuse to keep moving and stay young.

You don't quit doing the things you love because you get old,
You get old because you quit doing the things you love.

L
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Forks BC Canada
52 this summer. I Have played fast pitch softball (fastball in Canada) since i was 14. So, playing WITH my boys (21 yr old twins & a 15 yr old pain in the ass), is both a blast and a great excuse to keep moving and stay young.

You don't quit doing the things you love because you get old,
You get old because you quit doing the things you love.
Gave it up at age 80 after 51 years, spent the last 10 years riding alone, there doesn't seem to be as many riders anymore, have gone out many times to the popular areas and seen no one, the younger crowd doesn't seem interested in taking an old guy along. The joke to me is the local club talks about getting Gov. grants to promote seniors activity.They don't understand the concept

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
I recall in this thread - but I can't find it - that a couple of you recommended a specific brand of collagen. Anyone remember what that was?

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
Did the same thing, but on my sled. Rubbed some dirt on it, gave my best haha no problem grimace, and rode the rest of the day... big mistake. At 64 I'll be on a 165 Expert this year, and will probably upgrade to a Turbo next year, if I stay in the states. When duct tape doesn't hold me onto the sled any longer, then I'll consider hanging it up
now 65 and I needed some help with the latest technology to keep riding... so purchased a 2020 Expert 165... yeah it helps me ride where I used to ride...wife rode it and said it is like cheating... we now have two Experts... should give us a few more years of riding off trail and going to stupid places..

1611119837745.png

Premium Features