• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are you Over 50 and STILL SHREDDING?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

DirtdoctorLJ

Lifetime Membership
Mar 10, 2008
Miller, SD 57362
51 now and been riding most of my life as my dad was a Moto-Ski dealer growing up. We had a strong Sno-Goer club and they did local club rides through out the winter and one trip yearly at x-mas break to the Black Hills. I love riding with my two sons and so far this year we did Tog in January and just got back from the Snowies. I must say the best addition to mountain riding has been the radios for us as well as the sno-bungie....:face-icon-small-blu Ride safe and enjoy my friends.

eyefish123

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2010
Northern Idaho
58 years old and loving it. Rode yesterday with a 33 year old, 59 year old and a 70 year old. No groomed trails but roads getting to the good stuff. We all had over 65 miles on our sleds and not one stuck all day. About 16 inches of new pow over a good base and we could go anywhere. Best day in several years. Hope they keep coming!!!!

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
Thanks for all the responses. I have had the best season in years. I lost a little weight, got in a little better shape, and focused on skill building.

I do have a question for the group of "silver warriors". Is the floppy chassis, ski doo and new alpha or the fixed chassis, Polaris and cat, easier to ride? Been on a Polaris for 25 years, I have no complaints, but the alpha with its 40% less effort to ride has me curious. Thought about pro motion or k motion. Thoughts?

JungleJim

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I've rode an Axys in '16 & '17 then switched to a G4 as I found it noticeably easier on my shoulders to ride. It's not as precise as the Axys on a sidehilling but I've gotten used to the t_motion and am less tired at the end of the day. I also get stuck less with the 175...

Turcatbo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2015
Thanks for all the responses. I have had the best season in years. I lost a little weight, got in a little better shape, and focused on skill building.

I do have a question for the group of "silver warriors". Is the floppy chassis, ski doo and new alpha or the fixed chassis, Polaris and cat, easier to ride? Been on a Polaris for 25 years, I have no complaints, but the alpha with its 40% less effort to ride has me curious. Thought about pro motion or k motion. Thoughts?
I run an m1100 with a lot of stuff, at around 250 ish hp. Without question, the best two mods I have done are the ice age t motion where the coupler goes, and narrowed it as much as possible, narrow front and wide cat skis all the way inboard. It's gone from a stock point and shoot tank that was hard to sidehill, to a pretty nimble sled. I evol chambered the fronts to lessen spring progression of the float 2's, and while not as floppy as the doos I ride with, I think it is a bit more all mountain friendly. And way more hoo haw when you need to throttle out of a bad decision, which is really nice. Just got back from valemount and 2.5 feet of fresh up high, it was soooo goooood.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
out there

69 and feeling it, but I ride with younger guys in their 50s, so someone to pick me up once and awhile.

younger partner took last week off, so we rode the bikes 6 days, was low key the last day, but it was sunny for first time all year.
Was riding 5 months after major open heart surgery valve replacement, way better this year after working out more..........all good.

R
Nov 28, 2007
Heading for 61 still rippin it up,ridding 2016 HCR couple minor mods still keeping up with much younger riders,trees,ravines,creek jumping mountains are easier on the body,a lot more calculating than just pinning the throttle over everything.Was thinking about giving up sledding but I just can’t its a good habit,nice to hear there is still a lot of people that are 50 plus still rippin,ride with large group of friends from 20 to 55 years of age.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
Well Done.
You pushed yourself and accomplished something better than you had ever done before. Congrats!

1aaa8d6f918782835f2acc9c278aec4a--winter-sports-winter-fun.jpg
...as i was scrolling down thru the pic of the guy riding on the sleds edge, the highest part of the pic was just the snow field with the clouds in the background, and that was the first thing i saw, no sled....for a moment it took me back to my fighter pilot days, an

f-16 laying on a tight turn with some serious g's...maybe fighting with another jet, or just enjoying an 800 mph romp across the sky....:face-icon-small-blu

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
As a 55 year old rider, in all seriousness, this has become my absolute FAVORITE THREAD on SnoWest!

I absolutely love coming in here and reading the comments from other "seasoned citizens" who are still out there playing the game!!

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho

Doo steering is the easiest by quite a lot. It not only takes almost no force to move the bars but the skis just track well and the sled follows without plowing at all. I think that appeals to a lot of less experienced people or those that just appreciate not working as hard. The Alpha takes almost no rider input to put on edge and steers easier than prior cats but I still think the Doo takes less effort. A skinny Axys is pretty much just lean on your foot and roll as well. They're all so easy these days I'm hoping to ride for a very long time.

53 now. Started on a 1973 Polaris Colt. Can't imagine ever giving up sledding with the technology just getting better an better. Roaming through the snowy woods will never get old to me.

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
I didn’t start riding until I was 55, 59 now and getting the hang of it ?. My legs have always been strong from biking and skiing, but found that doing some upper body work really helped with making it thru a day without feeling like I had been doing push-ups for hours. I think going to a 2018 Mountain Cat helped, as well as just more experience so I wasn’t muscling the sled around so much. I expect that it will just get easier as I get better, even getting unstuck takes way less effort than it used to as I am getting to know the tricks.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Actually I am over 60! Still plan on riding but getting older is a challenge, especially after being in the construction trades for 40 years. YIKES!:face-icon-small-hap

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
Doo steering is the easiest by quite a lot. It not only takes almost no force to move the bars but the skis just track well and the sled follows without plowing at all. I think that appeals to a lot of less experienced people or those that just appreciate not working as hard. The Alpha takes almost no rider input to put on edge and steers easier than prior cats but I still think the Doo takes less effort. A skinny Axys is pretty much just lean on your foot and roll as well. They're all so easy these days I'm hoping to ride for a very long time.

This will be a season of experimentation for me/us (my son and i). Sold the 3 inch pro and got a used 17 850 165. In addition we are putting a narrow front end on the 800 axys 174. Gonna give both of them a good try this winter. The easiest to ride we will keep and upgrade the other for a new one of the brand we like. Only the second Ski Doo on my life.

More to follow. I will keep the "old sob's" informed. Thanks to all!!

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Not old enough to Quit/ Don't wanna quit / Oldest rider in my group...

Still enjoy helping people with fixes and solving their issues/and my providing MacGyver fixes...
( if some of you know what that is ... LOL)

45 years of ridin'- and just getting my second wind... wait a minute I think we called it skidooing........... not ridin' or sledding either ..ect..ect.. LOL!!

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
58 yup still riding, no issues there...fun times for sure and good for the ol body to get out in the winter. We love sledding for sure, and just more and more exotic sleds lol :face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features