• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic Ocean

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
hey... does anyone know who handles the permits to be able to travel all the way to the ocean? Sorry... I know not snowmobile related... planning motorcycle trip this summer.. thanks

akstormin

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2008
Eagle River, AK
Driving all the way to Deadhorse does not require a permit. The Dalton highway is a public road year round. However to actually walk up and stick your foot in the ocean I believe you need to be on some sort of tour. They used to run them out of the only little motel in Deadhorse, don't know about now. Some quick internet work should have your answer. Good Luck, hope for good weather and enjoy the ride.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
You can make it all the way to Deadhorse without a permit. Beyond Deadhorse, you cannot get a permit for a personal vehicle. You can not drive to the ocean. Only if you get a job up here :face-icon-small-hap or get on a tour bus out of Deadhorse. Do a google search and you should find one of the outfits that run tours. Be prepared for numerous flat tires, and tons of LARGE rocks tossed at you. The trip can be pretty brutal, and the linehaulers don't much care for 2-wheelers.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Purcell Security runs the permitting. The ONLY way to touch the Arctic Ocean at Prudhoe is to take a tour.

Consider flying to Barrow. Unrestricted access and you might get some pics of polar bears scavanging whale carcasses.

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
The Prudhoe Bay Hotel used to run tours out there but I don't think they do it any more. As the others said, it's by tour only because you have to cross over into the restricted areas.

The suggestion to fly to Barrow is a good one- Barrow is further north (You can actually say you were in the farthest north point in the United States then) and access to the ocean is unrestricted. Go around summer solstice and the sun won't set at all while you're there, either.

K

-kodiakcassells

Dec 17, 2009
Anchorage AK
I think Nana managment Servicies run a bus/tour as i don't think there is access.

Also the state uses a dust control chem that turns the road super slick on when it is wet ..

consider buying into the med vac service not much money and will cover your remote transport costs if needed. such as.

http://imcsitefiles.com/products.php

Good Luck riding when are you doing your trip?

Premium Features