• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic Cat Alpha Lessons Learned - 154 or 165 / Mountain or Hardcore / 2019 or 2020 Engine / Best Clutching / Elevate Alpha / New or Used / Pipe /

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Manual start is 11.7 and e start is like 10.6. I absolutely hate pulling the rope on mine but would not have an e start seat for mountain riding. Manual start sucks when pulling the rope but that seat is going to suck all day except the trail ride in and out.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
One other tid bit. That is really sad on cats part to even have a seat like that on a mountain sled in 2020. 10 or 15 years ago the seats and bars were higher but not now.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
There must be a way to relocate the battery to be able to use the smaller seat but, you'd still be stuck with the smaller gas tank. It sounds like adding electric start to the manual model with the lightweight battery under the hood would be the best bet option. Unless you can figure out how to add an aftermarket Skidoo like super capacitor SHOT system.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
There must be a way to relocate the battery to be able to use the smaller seat but, you'd still be stuck with the smaller gas tank. It sounds like adding electric start to the manual model with the lightweight battery under the hood would be the best bet option. Unless you can figure out how to add an aftermarket Skidoo like super capacitor SHOT system.

In 12 years or so and now 5 cats and a couple “uuhhem” Polaris rmk and pro 600s, Ive never had Estart until now. Its great! The longer seat???
It is getting some hate but I don’t mind it at all. Its a bit taller-a bit, but more importantly, its firm. Unlike the last short seat that was so soft. At the end of the day on the cruise out, I hated how soft it was. The 1 less gallon of fuel is probably a non issue (for me) as I usually put in 7-9 gallons 90% of the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
I have each 154 E start for my wife and a 165 non e start. I agree with most above about the handling when boondocking and I do a fair bit of climbing and generally prefer the longer track. with the shocks its easy to make the front feel light in a climb and make it stay planted with the click of the knob. As for the gas tank 11.7 (personally verified) the non E and 10.4 for the E by the book but I think it holds more. I like the e start seat better BUT I have had them shaved down 1" easy to do or have an upholstery shop do it.
I also still have my 2019 mt cat twin rail with 1200 miles and each motor is strong but the 2020 did wake up a bit with a 2* key and I also agree about the over 300 miles as I have just under 600 now.
I have relocated the battery under the hood on the can side but you do need a bit of fab work and a can.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Line8, what are your thoughts on the 154 vs 165" Alpha question?

I poached in on this thread earlier reading mountain cat, not seeing Alpha in the title. I recently bought an 18 mountain cat. But I will say its nothing like my well set up ‘14. Noticeably better and I’ve only got about 35 miles of seat time on it.
It is a 162, so was my 14. But, I have never missed my 153s. Not the same as the Alphas though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
I actually prefer the E-start seat. It's more comfortable and because it's taller, it's easier on my knees for the rough trail ride out at the end of the day. As far as the fuel capacity is concerned, it hasn't been an issue. Fuel range seems to be about the same as the guys I ride with, which works out well.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
As a 154 Elevate owner I would highly advise a 165 if you are planning to Elevate based on your situation of not wanting to work the sled. Elevated 154 is a blast but it is flat out a work out all day everyday to control it. There is no taking it easy unless you are doing zero climbing.

After riding my dads non elevated sled a couple of rides I am 100% sold on the front end though. It is significantly easier to lay over and keep over. I was noticeabley more tired at the end of the day from my arms/shoulders working harder than I do on my Elevated setup.

T
Dec 10, 2018
Calgary, Alberta
On my 20 im running the elevate kit on my 165 . Boy is it ever playful for me for being a 165 . Saying that i have always been a longer track guy for the reason you can think a little bit more when pulling lines. I had the 154 snowchecked but changed it and went with es on my 165. I cant agree with what has been said already . Shocks make or break this machine , spend a day trying different pressures and see what works and what doesnt. Being said the extra weight with the es you can easily shave off with a lightweight battery, can and you lose 15 - 20 lbs right there. The 165 is nice because you arent full tilt constantly vs a 154. I havent had any issues with mine this year and its ran like a dream. 500 kms with no issues and im running clutch kit, y pipe, can and the rest are all personal preference mods such as elevate, running boards, bumpers etc. I would highly recommend the elevate kit as the machine tends to float much nicer and not want to dive as soon as you let off the throttle. Im running the altitude power sports clutch setup with a custom helix, stiffer secondary and adjustable weights and makes a huge difference . I decided against a pipe because then you are playing with a pc5 and all that jazz with can cause major headaches. I have the mc so i have the air shocks and no complaints with them at all once you set them you dont look back, other than checking them to make sure you are still where you set them . Like many others are saying try both and see what works best for you and what you want!

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
That's great info TyDwyer33. Thank you for sharing!
Are you guys completely sold that the the future of mountain sleds lies with the single rail concept ?
I understand it's a better option in the very deep snow from a traction and control stand point but, when the snow conditions are anything but deep snow, then what?
I see the twin rail elevate kits are almost universally loved as well. They are nimble but, they may be a bit more predictable?
It seems regardless of rear suspension type, it seems like an elevated front end is the answer moving forward. I hope Cat incorporates that into their new sleds soon!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The single rail will never be for everyone.....
I hopped on a 19 mtn cat 153, definitely a difference in handling. It made me appreciate my elevated Alpha even more.

Sent it

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
As a 154 Elevate owner I would highly advise a 165 if you are planning to Elevate based on your situation of not wanting to work the sled. Elevated 154 is a blast but it is flat out a work out all day everyday to control it. There is no taking it easy unless you are doing zero climbing.

After riding my dads non elevated sled a couple of rides I am 100% sold on the front end though. It is significantly easier to lay over and keep over. I was noticeabley more tired at the end of the day from my arms/shoulders working harder than I do on my Elevated setup.
have you tried the stock front mount hole as summ8rmk has suggested? sounds like they may have got a little carried away with the front skid drop on the alpha.?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
have you tried the stock front mount hole as summ8rmk has suggested? sounds like they may have got a little carried away with the front skid drop on the alpha.?
That is his plan for his next ride.
I'm excited to hear his experience.

Sent it

Last edited:

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
That's great info TyDwyer33. Thank you for sharing!
Are you guys completely sold that the the future of mountain sleds lies with the single rail concept ?
I understand it's a better option in the very deep snow from a traction and control stand point but, when the snow conditions are anything but deep snow, then what?
I see the twin rail elevate kits are almost universally loved as well. They are nimble but, they may be a bit more predictable?
It seems regardless of rear suspension type, it seems like an elevated front end is the answer moving forward. I hope Cat incorporates that into their new sleds soon!

IF the durability issues with the rail and more importantly the track are worked out then yes they single rail is the future.

I think you are misinterpreting some of the comments on here. There are a handful of riders that aren't happy with the Mono in mediocre snow conditions because they cant adjust to it but for the people that like the mono It is better in nearly all snow conditions. In anything over about 6" of soft snow for sure. The only time the twins are better is in pretty setup snow when it is hard to get the track to bite. Most of us don't ride that snow that often. With that said the difference is not so significant that I will accept a sled with durability issues just to have it especially if Cat chooses not to stand behind them with anything you can even call a warranty or continues to have parts on back order.

That is his plan for his next ride.
I excited to hear his experience.

Sent it

And yes as far as trying the stock mounting with the elevate I am anxious to try it. I moved it 3 weeks ago then found I had a leak in my heat exchanger and have been out since dealing with that and family time so have not had a chance to ride it.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Jakeyboy, I was asking is if Alpha owners think the decision by Cat to go exclusively to a single rail design on all mountains sleds was a good idea.

I was looking for overall impressions on the single rail design as a whole and wasn't really asking about any durability or warranty related issues.

As far as "misrepresenting", I don't feel I was misrepresenting anything.

There are plenty who have expressed some concern with the precision or a somewhat sketchy nature of the single rail rear suspension in specific snow conditions. That unpredictability may all be a suspension setup issues?

I'm not saying one design is better or worse, I'm just asking Alpha owners if they think a single rail setup is good enough for Cat to put all their eggs in one basket.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
'21 riotX has a 146 uni-rail, that must be one squirley bastard off trail! i have some kind of obsession with that model i dont know why. cats marketing working?

badaltitude

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2010
north dakota
Probably not as squirley as you’d think. A big part of how much of a handful the alpha is in general, especially the shorter ones, is the traction and the way the 3” track works. They hook hard, and dig in immediately. The 146 is probably a really fun sled for the terrain it’s designed for.

Premium Features