• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone running a CMX rear skid?

R

Ryanlilly

Jan 18, 2011
Enumclaw, Washington
I picked up a 06 159 CMX rear skid with fox float shocks.

What im trying to figure out is what is the distance between the mounting holes, and what psi to run the shocks? Thanks!

jgd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Becker, MN
Is it the skid based on 141" + extensions?

I picked up a 06 159 CMX rear skid with fox float shocks.

What im trying to figure out is what is the distance between the mounting holes, and what psi to run the shocks? Thanks!

jgd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Becker, MN
It should have "141" stamped on the rail somewhere. I'll get you a C to C measurement from an old chassis that I have where I ran the CMX/M10. Mine was a CMX/M10 that was based off the 141 as a base. That's the way CMX did it, at least then. If yours is not like that then the geometry/measurement may not be the same (don't know for sure). Great skid! I'll post it later on... otherwise you could call Mark at CMX.

Im not positive if the rails are 141, but it does have the extensions.

R

Ryanlilly

Jan 18, 2011
Enumclaw, Washington
Thanks! I tried calling Mark and left a voicemail and haven't heard back, that was about 3 weeks ago, I sent a email about 2 weeks ago with no response. I just figure hes probably busy building new sleds. Just thought id try here rather then keep bothering him.

jgd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Becker, MN
OK, I ran mine at two difft spacings; 25” center to center and 26” center to center. 26” jacks up the rear a little more. 26” being the rear mounting location further rearward. You can then fine tune the rear shock angle to your liking via the adjuster. I preferred 26”… There’s flexibility in the c to c with this coil over skid, given all the adjustability. I haven’t looked at in a while. What tunnel are you hanging this skid in?

R

Ryanlilly

Jan 18, 2011
Enumclaw, Washington
Not sure what the cmx mounting straps are? I was going to use the edge mounts, just read drill and moved it to the correct mounting distance.

jgd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Becker, MN
The strap is a mounting plate that has holes for the front and rear torque arm mounting positions. It rivets to the inside of the tunnel. It's probably N/A for the non-tipped up Edge tunnel. I would however talk to FAST about their mounting hardware/ You should measure the width of the torque arms, as you may find them narrower than 15". For what its worth I hung my skid 7.5" (torque arm center) back from the center of the drive shaft location, 5/8" above the center line. Mine was not a stock tunnel, so this may not make sense for your app, same goes for the setback. In any case it's a great skid, just take your time to figure out how best to position it. Good luck.

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
Ryan, we've built mountain M-10s for years and here's what you need to know before you get to deep!

You will need mounting plates that tie the front and rear mounts together (one piece is best). If you don't , I guarantee that the skid will destroy your tunnel in short time.

M-10s put a ton of force into the tunnel through the coupling and preload designed in.

if you have 159 one piece rails, set the c-c at 25.5"

if its a tag link-throw the link in the trash.

if its a live axle, we need to talk

if 141 rails with extensions, set the c-c at 26" but no wider!

I can give you mounting dimensions if you want to call the shop--we do everything off of the driveshaft for simplicity

we sell stainless one piece mounting plates for m-10s if you are interested-they are thin enough to be used on the inside of your edge tunnel with no interference issues.

I go way back with these skids if you can't tell....

Curt

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
you're in good hands. Curt was in the Tison team way back, M-10 all the way.

RS

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
Ryan, you've got a good set up---looked at the pics and its not a live axle so you are good to go! its the older rail but still a good rail to work with!

if you get a sec, measure from the center of the old axle slot to the center of the new axle slot in the extension and note that in case you need install measurements from us.

Have fun-can't wait to see that hog on the snow this year!

Curt

Premium Features