• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone running a 36" a-arm kit with stock shocks on 2018 Axys?

J
Sep 21, 2013
Vancouver, WA
Just picked up a '18 Axys Pro 800 163" with 500 miles to replace my 2010 M8 and I'm looking at throwing on a set of new A-arms to get it closer to the new 19-20 geometry. Having ridden ridden both "styles" of front suspension, I can tell there is a definite difference in the way the sled handles. The 20 just goes to where you look with even less input than the 16-18 models IMO. I've seen a few threads about the various options, but not a lot about people riding them with the stock shocks from 16-18 models. I'm wondering if it's just because the people who tend to do this type of mod typically run better shocks anyway, or if the kits (specifically the Alt Impact True Clearance set) actually need different shocks to work correctly?

I do intend to send the stock monotubes out to Carls Cycle and probably will be putting either Zbroz or Raptor springs on them as well. I'm just going to wait until the end of season to send them out so I don't get stuck at home while the snow is falling.

Side note, any other major upgrades I should be looking at? The sled already has a SLP Picnic'r can on it, but is otherwise 100% stock.

mytimbits

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Trencher 36 inch a arms with stock walker Evans shocks on a 2017 174. Work good

neverenoughsnow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 1999
Omaha, Ne.
i ran the Alternative Impact 36" titanium setup in my 18 with stock shocks. Just love their stuff and their customer service is awesome. Switching over to Fox shocks this season.

MTHAYN

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 14, 2017
Helper, UT
I am running the Alt Impact 36” true clearance A-arms with factory monotubes on my 2018 163 Pro. A little over 3000 miles on them now. No breakage issues to report. It sets the front end up an inch to 1.5” higher than the factory When installed. I’ve had to put more pre load into the RTS to compensate, other than that it makes a big difference for the good. I had Carl’s rebuild and revalve all the shocks and that makes a big difference As well. I went with the Carl’s 230# RTS spring too. With this set up, my wife can make it rip with minimal effort compared to the 39” And she’s around 140 soaking wet.
There are a few problems I have ran into....
1. I couldn’t run my Raptor triple rate springs I had on with the 39” a arms because the shock geometry changed and it slightly compresses the shock making it a bit shorter (5/8” or so) This causes the Raptor springs to be too long and with the adjuster almost at the top it adds preload to the spring before you ever start adjusting for ride. I just went back to the stock springs and have plenty of adjustment now. Andy @ Gas Shock Repair can fix the length issue for a smokin deal. It just hasn’t bothered me enough to do it yet.
2. The Alt Impact arms have a titanium misalignment bushing that fits between the lower joint and the spindle. They wear out!!!!! Change them about every 500 miles or it will wear nickel size divets into the spindles. I found this out the hard way by trashing mine. $40 every 500ish miles for new misalignment bushings will save a little frustration later.
I also put a kurts gear down kit (2.37), added a HPS can and a cooker. All This combined with the a arms made it a much better handling and fun machine to play with. Hope this helps.

J
Sep 21, 2013
Vancouver, WA
1. I couldn’t run my Raptor triple rate springs I had on with the 39” a arms because the shock geometry changed and it slightly compresses the shock making it a bit shorter (5/8” or so) This causes the Raptor springs to be too long and with the adjuster almost at the top it adds preload to the spring before you ever start adjusting for ride. I just went back to the stock springs and have plenty of adjustment now. Andy @ Gas Shock Repair can fix the length issue for a smokin deal. It just hasn’t bothered me enough to do it yet.
2. The Alt Impact arms have a titanium misalignment bushing that fits between the lower joint and the spindle. They wear out!!!!! Change them about every 500 miles or it will wear nickel size divets into the spindles. I found this out the hard way by trashing mine. $40 every 500ish miles for new misalignment bushings will save a little frustration later.
That is really good information because I was actually looking at adding the Raptor springs to it already! I wonder if their “react” style front springs would fix that issue. Already sent them an email about which stiffness to get for their springs (I’m at 225 before my gear, so right on the edge) and I will ask if the react springs are shorter when they get back to me.

MTHAYN

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 14, 2017
Helper, UT
In my opinion, the Carl’s revalve job with factory springs in the front and FTS and the Carl’s 230# on the RTS feels pretty comparable if not better than the triple rate springs only Because they have been revalved for you. I’m 245 before gear and I ordered the firm set from Raptor back when I had my 2017 Pro. Moved them to the 18 and now they are just sitting in the shop. With all this being said, there is still a geometry problem with the shocks being to long. The react springs might fit but the more I personally get into trying to make stuff work that wasn’t designed to work together, it seems like it just creates the snowball effect. There is always something else to fix or make work. Just more money I put out and pretty soon, I could have just bought the React front end kit from Polaris for the 16-18 axys. I think the part number is #2883686-309. There are a lot of great manufacturers out there producing aftermarket a arms. But in the end, the shocks for the 39” a arms are to long For the narrow front end. And the sway bar is to long but you just put the mounts from the outside to the inside. But I think this changes the pressure the sway bar has when on edge. My 2020 with React just feels different, more smooth? lighter maybe? I’m still trying to figure that one out.....
Do they (shocks)work? Yes
Is it better than the 39”? DEFINITELY

P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
I am running the Alt Impact 36” true clearance A-arms with factory monotubes on my 2018 163 Pro. A little over 3000 miles on them now. No breakage issues to report. It sets the front end up an inch to 1.5” higher than the factory When installed. I’ve had to put more pre load into the RTS to compensate, other than that it makes a big difference for the good. I had Carl’s rebuild and revalve all the shocks and that makes a big difference As well. I went with the Carl’s 230# RTS spring too. With this set up, my wife can make it rip with minimal effort compared to the 39” And she’s around 140 soaking wet.
I also put a kurts gear down kit (2.37), added a HPS can and a cooker. All This combined with the a arms made it a much better handling and fun machine to play with. Hope this helps.
I thought the true clearance were only supposed to raise the sled a max of 3/4" with stock shocks on a 2018. Are you sure that is what you got? Dan, from alt impact told me this.

Snowman10

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 23, 2019
I am running the Zbroz 36" kit with my stock Walker Evans clicker shocks on my 2017 Axys 174" and love it.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
I'm running Z Broz 36" with stock springs on my '17. I bit the bullet and bought the Polaris React kit for my wife's 2018 which came with new shocks that are lighter and better than her stock shocks. I love mine but hers definitely handles better. Price difference was about $500 all in and she got new shocks so I think she got the better deal in the end.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
Just picked up a '18 Axys Pro 800 163" with 500 miles to replace my 2010 M8 and I'm looking at throwing on a set of new A-arms to get it closer to the new 19-20 geometry. Having ridden ridden both "styles" of front suspension, I can tell there is a definite difference in the way the sled handles. The 20 just goes to where you look with even less input than the 16-18 models IMO. I've seen a few threads about the various options, but not a lot about people riding them with the stock shocks from 16-18 models. I'm wondering if it's just because the people who tend to do this type of mod typically run better shocks anyway, or if the kits (specifically the Alt Impact True Clearance set) actually need different shocks to work correctly?

I do intend to send the stock monotubes out to Carls Cycle and probably will be putting either Zbroz or Raptor springs on them as well. I'm just going to wait until the end of season to send them out so I don't get stuck at home while the snow is falling.

Side note, any other major upgrades I should be looking at? The sled already has a SLP Picnic'r can on it, but is otherwise 100% stock.
I love my SLP Stage 2 kit and the Skinz (non-heated) brake lever. The heated one is out of stock and gets too hot anyway. A good tether of course as well. I haven't tried the magnetic ones but I hear good things. I run the Durapro Ski rubbers and I like the Dura Flex ice scratchers because I'm lazy and I can leave them down 100% of the time. I use a Plano plastic pistol case from Walmart bolted on the tunnel for tools, lunch, etc. - cheap, almost waterproof and rugged

J
Sep 21, 2013
Vancouver, WA
I love my SLP Stage 2 kit and the Skinz (non-heated) brake lever. The heated one is out of stock and gets too hot anyway. A good tether of course as well. I haven't tried the magnetic ones but I hear good things. I run the Durapro Ski rubbers and I like the Dura Flex ice scratchers because I'm lazy and I can leave them down 100% of the time. I use a Plano plastic pistol case from Walmart bolted on the tunnel for tools, lunch, etc. - cheap, almost waterproof and rugged
Thanks for the extra tips! I already put the skinz brake lever, a tether (standard plug style), and Dura Flex ice scratchers on the sled. Also it came with a burandt under seat and tunnel bag already.

What do the Dura Pro ski rubbers add vs running stock?

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
Thanks for the extra tips! I already put the skinz brake lever, a tether (standard plug style), and Dura Flex ice scratchers on the sled. Also it came with a burandt under seat and tunnel bag already.

What do the Dura Pro ski rubbers add vs running stock?
The dura pro rubbers are tough as he'll and you'll never tear or break one. You can blow out the stock rubber with a hard impact

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
I have Dura Pro rubbers in my 18 AXYS 163 800 and destroyed a ski when I tagged a tree head on at about 10 mph with that ski went near vertical and as you would expect the weakest link failed and the ski to spindle bolt tore thru the ski top (woops for $250) My first woops of the year! I did put the Dura Pro rubber back in and hope not to have another tree incursion anytime soon!! This information is just for all who read it and hope you do not have this problem if you are using Dura Pro rubbers and have my luck here. BTW I still like the way the front handles in most snow conditions with those rubbers!
gtwitch in wyoming

P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
I just installed the Trex fab kit. See my review in the Axys forum. My only issue is that the EVOL shocks wont work with swaybar. Other than that, the kit seems great. Excellent service too. My shocks are stock length on my 18.

Attachments

• 2018 Axys 36 install.jpg
    2018 Axys 36 install.jpg
    889.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 2018 Axys 36 Swaybar.jpg
    2018 Axys 36 Swaybar.jpg
    733.9 KB · Views: 36

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
I ran into the same issue with my Evols and Trenchers 36 arms on a 39 front end.

I putthe links inside in and it seems to fit but I can see it rubbing occasionally. I'll do some short ride and if I see marks it's off if no marks I'll keep it like that while keeping an eye on it.

the front is squirely without the bar

F
Dec 30, 2019
I just ordered the Trenchers 36” kit for my 2018 SKS. Not sure if it will arrive with time to install before my next trip to the mountains on Feb 2nd, but I’m hoping...

269F8096-5295-48F0-A914-5E1E67008C38.jpeg

F9D10392-D50E-4D67-B2B8-55E57018AAC1.jpeg

Premium Features