• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

anyone ride the east side of glacier?

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
i live in north central ND and usually ride around Butte, west or island park. i have ridden stanley idaho, afton wy, cooke city, and the big horns as well. the problems are it gets to be a long drive. google maps says the east side of glacier would be 9 and a half hours which isnt bad but i dont know if its decent terrain or if there is much riding area.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
i live in north central ND and usually ride around Butte, west or island park. i have ridden stanley idaho, afton wy, cooke city, and the big horns as well. the problems are it gets to be a long drive. google maps says the east side of glacier would be 9 and a half hours which isnt bad but i dont know if its decent terrain or if there is much riding area.
I know there is some riding up out of Choteau but can't really give you much more than that.... looks cool on google earth, lots of trees.

One thing I can recommend is going to the Whitefish area. Only about 90 miles past Browning. Theres some really good riding, totally different game than the places you described. Pretty technical stuff if youre into that. Only been there once but one of my favorite places no doubt, riding out of Hungry horse on a sunny morning after a storm is something a guy wont ever forget... wish it wasn't 18 hours for us.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The riding on that side of the range would be the "skyline area" near mariahs pass. Its not a huge zone and the snow is really hit or miss from what I've heard. Some times its rad, sometimes its just a stumpy burn for lots of it.

Like mentioned above, cruise a little farther, jump over to Whitefish/Columbia falls and ride the South fork (hungry horse dam) some incredible riding. Huge zone and tree'd fun and big bowls to your hearts content.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
mariahs pass

im assuming the pass is open all winter barring weather related issues? the little i read made it sound like it might not be the biggest area. sounds like another hour drive would be worth it and still probably only be ten hour drive.

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
Where at around Butte have you ridden? I have ridden around Anaconda, but it wasn't the best.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
im assuming the pass is open all winter barring weather related issues? the little i read made it sound like it might not be the biggest area. sounds like another hour drive would be worth it and still probably only be ten hour drive.
Yeah barring any crazy weather the pass is open at all times and a pretty nice drive, not too treacherous.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
ive ridden skalkaho pass and american creek they are decent, some friends live in butte so we stay there and ride with them.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Yeah barring any crazy weather the pass is open at all times and a pretty nice drive, not too treacherous.
Been storm chasing for almost 10 years... NEVER seen it snow like it was when we went over that pass. Marker to marker for miles, and there was zero wind.

R

rilesman5

Jan 21, 2009
MT
Ommm.....Marias pass......as in the Marias river...

At Skyland....not Skyline.....wow must be some seasoned veterans

R

rilesman5

Jan 21, 2009
MT
I wouldn't take advice from people who cant even spell it let alone haven't even ridden there

Premium Features