• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

anyone put a newer 163 dragon skid in an edge rmk chassis?

S
Nov 26, 2007
ND
anyone put a newer 163 dragon skid in an edge rmk chassis? would like to go longer and just wondering if it fits, or if you know if the center to center of the mouting shafts is the same? thanks

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
The IQ suspension is narrower, you can put it in an Edge, but you have to put spacers between the shafts and the tunnel.

The IQ suspension is the same geometrically as the Edge, but the 163 makes it for a different pitch track so the offset from the drive shaft may be slightly different.

What length is your edge now? You can go with extensions for a lot less money and work and they are just as strong as rails.

sled_guy

S
Nov 26, 2007
ND
edge

My edge is a 144 now, with extensions to a 151 and tunnel for 151/159, i never thought of the driver offset, because i was going to have to run 7 tooth 2.86 drivers to get tunnel clearance for the 2.4" track and the suspension is probably set up for 8 or 9 tooth drivers stock iq. I am not worried about strength, just found a good deal on a skid and track combo used.

M
I have a 03 RMK 800 151
I drop and rolled the chain case put 8 tooth Wahl Bros. drivers, Anti-Stab kit09 163 dragon track and rails.
The sled rips now I gained 300 rpm just from free up looser & lighter.
I will try to find some pics. and post them

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
I put an assault skid in a Pro X2. I just cut half inch spacers for each side. worked really well. Ran a custom drop and roll with IQR extrovert drivers.

B

boxster7614

Sep 20, 2008
I did it but just ended up using the 163 rails and kept the edge arms. I bought the skid from a guy off his dragon but they were Ice Age rails with 8" wheels. The skid geometry is the same, just a little narrower on the IQ. I have hear of a few guys using some washers to make up the difference. I had the edge arms powdercoated black and rails black anoidized. Went with 162 powerclaw, Avid 3" pitch 7 tooth drivers.

kdk_0414.jpg

kdk_0432.jpg

kdk_0437.jpg

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
I put an assault skid in a Pro X2. I just cut half inch spacers for each side. worked really well. Ran a custom drop and roll with IQR extrovert drivers.

Whats the Problem with this Post SnowX22? Why would Solid stock 1/2 inch wide spacers on each side of this skid not work just fine? The guy above me posted that people use washers....

The Rail length has no difference on the installation of the skid in the chassis. The tunnels are the exact same width. The tunnel on this X2 was a VA boondocker tunnel 16 wide....

Last edited:
V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Any further comments on an IQ skid in an Edge chassis?

I have a '10 IQ 155 that I am tempted to upgrade the skid and wondered if the skid would be of benefit in my '04 600 144". By the time the kids inherit the sled it won't have much resale value and maybe only about 1500 miles. I thought if the IQ skid would help in that chassis I would keep it around to put a longer track in the Edge.

2Quickrides

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2012
Edmonton
I'm using a T-sled from a Dragon in mine, no issues whatsoever. The spacer measurement per side came to 3/8". Used 3/8" 6061 bar stock, made the holes tight (everyone likes a tight hole), good to go. Just make sure the bolts you use thread into the bar as far as possible.
This setup has been tested to the point I snapped off the shock mount on the skid with 0 issues on the spacer setup.
Stock for stock the suspension is essentially identical, just the IQ tunnel is 3/4" narrower.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Boxster- How do you like the powerclaw? I had a maverick on mine and swapped it out for a wore-out stock AC m8 (looks like a challenger extreme) but will replace it with either a challenger extreme 2.5 or the powerclaw if i can find one.

J
Oct 29, 2021
Idaho
anyone put a newer 163 dragon skid in an edge rmk chassis? would like to go longer and just wondering if it fits, or if you know if the center to center of the mouting shafts is the same? thanks
I did it but just ended up using the 163 rails and kept the edge arms. I bought the skid from a guy off his dragon but they were Ice Age rails with 8" wheels. The skid geometry is the same, just a little narrower on the IQ. I have hear of a few guys using some washers to make up the difference. I had the edge arms powdercoated black and rails black anoidized. Went with 162 powerclaw, Avid 3" pitch 7 tooth drivers.

kdk_0414.jpg

kdk_0432.jpg

kdk_0437.jpg
I also have a question for you I have a 1998 rmk chassis that I want to put a 2008 163 dragon skid on it what all do I need to swap that over thanks

Premium Features