• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone install the skinz helium hood and panels setup?

B
Jan 17, 2008
NorCal
Debating on this kit for my 17 Mountain Cat. Have some slight damage to some of my plastic and just put my bumper to good use and now could use a new one. A new one comes in their kit along with a can but hoping my SSI titanium can and running boards will fit with this hood and panel kit. If anyone has any experience with this kit, is it a good setup and am I able to use my existing can and running boards?
Kit includes: Bumper, Air Intake Kit, Ultra-Q Silencer, Chaincase Cover, Oil Tank, Hood Kit, Side Panel Kit, and lower side panel kit. It is around 2k normaly but $800 right now. Anyone have any experience with this kit is it a good product and would you do it again. Thanks for any input

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Debating on this kit for my 17 Mountain Cat. Have some slight damage to some of my plastic and just put my bumper to good use and now could use a new one. A new one comes in their kit along with a can but hoping my SSI titanium can and running boards will fit with this hood and panel kit. If anyone has any experience with this kit, is it a good setup and am I able to use my existing can and running boards?
Kit includes: Bumper, Air Intake Kit, Ultra-Q Silencer, Chaincase Cover, Oil Tank, Hood Kit, Side Panel Kit, and lower side panel kit. It is around 2k normaly but $800 right now. Anyone have any experience with this kit is it a good product and would you do it again. Thanks for any input
I'd look into the bdx kit that uses 2018 body work.
I put the 2018 body work on my turbo charged 2016 800cc sled.
It went on easy and fit very well.

B
Jan 17, 2008
NorCal
I'd look into the bdx kit that uses 2018 body work.
I put the 2018 body work on my turbo charged 2016 800cc sled.
It went on easy and fit very well.
I have looked into that one also the benefit of this kit it has some extras to it bumper, smaller chaincase cover and oil tank. The BDX looks good but also more expensive with less to it.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i was considering it also. i remember the early reports complained about the cheap intake duct. thats about all i remember. i bet most cans will fit in there, figured id just chop into if needed. i mean you have to chop into your sled anyways.

B
Jan 17, 2008
NorCal
i was considering it also. i remember the early reports complained about the cheap intake duct. thats about all i remember. i bet most cans will fit in there, figured id just chop into if needed. i mean you have to chop into your sled anyways.
Only bad part is you can`t chop into anything on the sled if the panel is rubbing on the can there is nothing to cut away and don`t think trimming the new setup is a good option. Cheap intake duct would be dumb, why would they skimp on that when that is suppose to be one of the improvements. Thanks for the input.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
well i wouldnt be buying another can. mine is couple pounds lighter than theirs. i would cut the skinz plastic and modify it first. i think you can get a kit without a can for less. guessing the 800 dollar one would be without a can but i dont see it on ebay. the air intake is larger but its like dryer venting i believe. I kinda hate to mess with my mountaincat body. its been great in deep snow, no intake screen or air sensor relocate. and can get replacement parts for the next decade whereas the skinz will probably discontinue this kit soon, thats why i cant pull the trigger... but for 800 bucks.... would be cool to have a lighter more modern sled with all these alphas and 850s making her feel old. If you get it, do post pics

B
Jan 17, 2008
NorCal
Seems like a descent kit but looks could be better and no info on the install on the internet that I can find I am going to pass on it. And you are probably right if you need parts probably sol.
But for $800

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
whats dumb is they left the front part of the tub where the factory muffler sits, the little riveted in section that drags into the snow when your carving on the right side.
whats dummer is cat is still riveting in this piece on the new sleds rather than customizing the muffler to fit.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
well this wore on me and so its sitting in my shop to be installed this summer with some other things. the quality is nice, i dont think people realize there is a skinz option for a billet chaincase cover and slim 2.5 quart oil tank for these but its om their website if you dig hard enough. Skinz you need to improve your wesite!! and keep marketing this kit. next year gonna be fun. PS I call BS on the 2.5" air tube breathing better than the stock hood, but good try! Ill give it a whirl...

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
When I saw the helium kit installed on the SnoWest Mtn dew build sled 4 years ago, it was at the SLP booth at Jackson Hillclimbs. SLP rep said the skinz intake was too restrictive in their opinion. Especially with their stage kit that was on it. They had extra holes punched in the front box with frogzskin on them.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
^yeah, im thinking ok with a stock motor, but not modded. any rate, i think ill try it as is, then do some holes with frogskinz on the sides and see if any difference on the butt dyno. easy enough to do.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
well the intake seems to breath just fine. the airbox is kinda cheezy so i improved it. one bonus is the intake is completely sealed and breaths through a filter. Cat should take some pointers from this design and abort the whole hood plenum. Make the body smaller. I guess that would raise the noise by a decibel so they wouldnt even consider it :rolleyes:
I really like the tucked in feel. It does narrow it where it counts on a proclimb. That back section of the side panels that used to flare out, it would hang me up if trying to whip the sled around in tight circle....no more. no more rounded trail sled feel. I would also consider one of these kits on an ascender chassis. the install is lengthy and instructions are not great, this is an off-season type mod not a weekend project. I cut the side panel to fit my quiet can. A guy could also modify the can to fit, make it angle in more like the skinz can, it does make sense, more tucked, centralized mass.
Keep making these SKINZ!! They can get even skinnier now with the ADAPT clutch. Doubt cat's gonna step up so why wait!

Last edited:
Premium Features