• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone have experience with the GoPro LCD BacPac?

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Just wondering who, if anyone, has had experience using the LCD BacPac for the GoPro while riding. I would like to take a lot more video that actually looks good when I get home to review it. Tired of shots that are ruined by a snow covered screen, bad camera angle, thinking stuff looked cool but it was really lame, etc....

Any effect on battery life? Hard/Easy to see while watching in bright settings? Any other suggestions? Thanks

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
Wi-fi backpack

If you have a smartphone you should look into the wi-fi backpack. I think it would be pretty sweet to be able to see what the camera is looking at by yourself with it mounted then start the recording from the phone.

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Figured it would ^^^. I'm currently smart phone-less, but I definitely need a way to see whether or not a shot looks good. Going to try some other mounting spots as well and the only real way to experience if it works is to ride, then watch. Great info, keep it coming.

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
GoPro wi-fi app not out yet

I was just doing some looking and saw that GoPro hasn't released there wi-fi app yet so it looks like right now the smartphone viewfinder isn't an option yet. The wi-fi remote works but they are experiencing some bugs with the app. I could see where the LCD would eatup the batteries. Does it turn it's self off when recording?

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Good question. You referring to the screen being off while recording? I would imagine it does. I think the camera itself has some specific recording time settings, but not sure on actual power settings. If it's like any other device out their with a screen, the cold weather and screen power requirements will definitely suck the life right out of the battery. My interest in it is because I don't record a whole lot of riding when I go out. Usually just try and get the moments that are worth reliving once you get back home, and all of my runs from racing. I normally only lose 1 bar after a whole day of riding and taking small clips. Would be nice if it was functional enough to last for most of a ride at least after reviewing some shots.

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
The LCD screen is slick for reviewing files. its easy to turn on and off so it doesn't burn as much battery if you don't want it to, but when its on it definately blows through it. I'm pretty sure it doesn't turn off automatically while recording. It also made my dad's camera lock up on more than one occasion. IMO it is worth buying, unless the wifi app is coming out soon...

C
Feb 28, 2011
auto off setting

I love my lcd backpack and wouldn't tell anyone to buy a go pro without one. I have mine set to be on for the first 10 seconds after turning the camera on, can't imagine that would have a huge effect on battery life.

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
Ive been hearing for upwards of 4 months that the GoPro smartphone APP is coming out SOON....it better come out before christmas rolls around, cause I'm tired of this waiting game, and I bet your gonna need wifi access or cell service, something stupid along those lines to get it to work. So i probably wont be able to use it in the back country anyway...:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-fro

kholm28

Lifetime Membership
Aug 22, 2012
Menu settings

As I am not hearing good things about the smart phone app and I own every piece of GoPro equipment, I can tell you that battery life isn't horrible as long as you use the 60 second off setting on the LCD menu. That way you can start recording and the screen will automatically go off a minute later. Helps to aim and then go. Also very nice to take some stills when you are bored on a water/food break. If you can wait until you get back to review your video this helps! Just get a big boy SD card and you'll be fine! Last thing is this, when you add weight to the camera you increase the vibration effect due to the flimsy mounting hardware. This is a common problem shared between the WiFi pac and the LCD pac as they share the same type of cases. The simple/smaller the mount, the better.

T

Toad face killah

Sep 27, 2010
Lake Almanor, Ca
I have the LCD backpack and love it. It really cuts down on ****ty videos because you aimed it wrong. I also love being able to watch videos on the way home from a long ride. Would definitely recommend it

Premium Features