• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone gone Khaos back to Pro?

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
If you are a less active rider you will be much happier on a PRO.
Also, if you buy a Khaos and find it to be too much of a handful some simple suspension tweaks will help make it more manageable.
A great in-between is a Khaos suspension with a Pro length limit strap.
I was surprised the limit straps on the Poos dont have any adjustment holes lol. Like it or lump it I guess. I did by a Pro strap to try on my Khaos. My buddy helped me with some shock setting and that made a huge difference. Lowered the FTS from 52 to 40 and softened the rear shock main up about 20lbs too. We used the recommended shock setting for a 250lb rider right off Burandts web site. Way better for me, I can get the front up if I want but I can now keep it down easily when climbing.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Just some preload adjustments have calmed my khaos down, i ordered a pro rear spring to try, im bottoming the khaos springs.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

B
Jan 30, 2010
Northern BC
I was surprised the limit straps on the Poos dont have any adjustment holes lol. Like it or lump it I guess. I did by a Pro strap to try on my Khaos. My buddy helped me with some shock setting and that made a huge difference. Lowered the FTS from 52 to 40 and softened the rear shock main up about 20lbs too. We used the recommended shock setting for a 250lb rider right off Burandts web site. Way better for me, I can get the front up if I want but I can now keep it down easily when climbing.
Can you provide the link to the Burandt page with the shock settings. I looked but could not find. Thanks

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA

Is Burandts suggestions easy to find on his site?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T
Nov 11, 2008
So the theme I constantly see is the Khaos is a handful to ride but it is all relative to what you are used to and what you are now riding.

A 155 Khaos is a different beast than a 165 Khaos. The longer 163/165 is going to transfer less, it’s just simply understanding that. A lot of guys jumped on 155 Khaos last year from various sleds and find them harder to ride with confidence but had no real experience on a 155 to begin with.

Having come off a 155 to a 165 Khaos this thing flat out rocks. The series 8 track has a lot to do with how I can carry momentum, never been a fan of the Polaris 3” tracks especially when down on power with the 800’s. The 2.6 was my favourite track for more what I would call technical riding. Creek, steep walls, tight trees this Khaos 165 shines.

My biggest issue the first few rides was over riding it. It responds to rider input very well and if you over ride it then it wears you out because you are correcting for it all the time.

The 163 ProRMK feels planted now, the 165 Khaos a little lighter on firmer snow. In deep fresh I take the Khaos because I am not shooting straight up climbs without obstacles. Remember most of the geometry changes are on the front half of the track, when the skis are out of the snow on a climb it shouldn’t matter what sled you are on at that point anyways. Yes initially you get a little more ski lift with the Khaos but it’s not as drastic on the 165.

Turcottes video as Teth-Air mentioned is not a great representation of the Khaos. His ProRMK is dialled in for him. The steering post mod alone makes him more confident in his line choices then to jump on a bone stock Khaos and not have the longer sleds to compare back to back isn’t showing the differences well. I am not saying it’s worthless, just look at it objectively.

If I was snowchecking again today I would still take the Khaos. The stock shocks save me $3000 alone on upgrading to raptors or whatever. The series 8 track tension and driver issues are a little underwhelming and will need to do something to address it for track life as it’s going to continue to be an issue unfortunately.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
The khaos benefits non aggressive riders in meadows and works for very aggressive riders in very technical terrain. You can’t avoid this compromise. People wanting a “tree slaying wheelie machine” is a contradiction in itself.

I like love jibbing and jumping pillows/natural features, bow ties, hop overs, whips. A pro is not as good of a sled for this. But a pro will definitely get up nasty terrain better. Nobody can argue that.

Like others said understanding your shocks can make a huge difference. I have fox coils with a rear lockout. When I need to turn khaos to pro I click the fts to 1 and the rear to lockout. This is in extreme conditions, but a nice option.

I’ve been surprised how many places I can go right along side 165/163 pros, alphas, and doos. You just have less room for error. And less chopping of the throttle. My 155 khaos is my favorite sled hands down to date.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
My bud's 2021 165 Khaos has two holes in the limiter. I saw them. Carl's set his up in the "Pro" hole as opposed to the "Khaos" hole.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The khaos benefits non aggressive riders in meadows and works for very aggressive riders in very technical terrain. You can’t avoid this compromise. People wanting a “tree slaying wheelie machine” is a contradiction in itself.

I like love jibbing and jumping pillows/natural features, bow ties, hop overs, whips. A pro is not as good of a sled for this. But a pro will definitely get up nasty terrain better. Nobody can argue that.

Like others said understanding your shocks can make a huge difference. I have fox coils with a rear lockout. When I need to turn khaos to pro I click the fts to 1 and the rear to lockout. This is in extreme conditions, but a nice option.

I’ve been surprised how many places I can go right along side 165/163 pros, alphas, and doos. You just have less room for error. And less chopping of the throttle. My 155 khaos is my favorite sled hands down to date.

DING DING DING! lol everyone wants the wild fun factor not realizing it makes for a sled that is a handful and you have to be VERY on top of to keep going the right direction. IMO the Khaos is WAY more fun to ride more of the time then a pro, thankfully I have the Fox QS3 package as well and you can tame the thing down with ease when your in a tight spot and just need to get where your going.

the 155 khaos is a LOT of sled to keep track of in tight spots. the 163/165 is a SUPER capable sled and i'd say far better suited for almost anyone to get on and suceed.

We built a 146 khaos for a buddy because his comment was "I want to become a faster rider". the shorter and more wheelie prone a sled is the more momentum you need and the faster everything happens so either you learn to keep up with it or you flip over and get stuck a lot. If you know and expect it the flip side is then you can easily whip the thing right over backwards and never even slow down.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Assuming the 155 kaos is like my 154 alpha
My wife's kaos is a 165. Still haven't got to ride a 155. My alpha is flat out the funnest ever. If you aren't on your game it can be the worst ever. I have it full narrow which makes it the funnest ever and the worst ever. We were trying to get a big group up a hill, through the trees in deep snow. It was full throttle for me to make it. Everyone else has 163, 165 or 174. When I come back down to help dig sleds out, being nice, i couldn't hardly make it back up. I was stuck 3 times in an hour. When they are fun they are fun and when they're not they're not. If you aren't getting stuck you aren't riding but 3 times in an hour is a really bad day. You have to decide what you're realistically doing and decide from there. If your kaos is a 165, i don't see why anyone would go back to a pro. 155 i could see.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
After putting some time on my 155 khaos, some very minor suspension adjustments, a 156 X3 track and ice age elevate kit, i absolutely love this sled its very playful with the 3" track still climbs really well, much better than the 2.6.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
I've noticed the snow characteristics can really mute or accentuate the differences between Khaos and Pro geometry. Hardpack or mank, and both sleds feel front heavy and sluggish (relative to other snow conditions). Bottomless powder they both trench and the Khaos requires more fore/aft footwork to stay on top (RTS adjustments also help). Powder that increases in density with depth brings the Khaos to life! That's when the ride gets wild, and is really fun if you're ok with a loose and aggressive style.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
I've got three 850 Khaos sleds. 2 163, 1 165. Can't imagine riding a Pro again.
The difference to me feels like when the Axys first came out after riding the ProRide.
At first, it reacts too fast and is hard to control. As you get used to it and are prepared for how it reacts, it rewards you with quick response in regards to direction change.

If you are a sit down rider or a "how many beers can I fit in my tunnel bag" rider, you might not like it.

I don't notice it trenching any more than a Pro-- it does, however, carry the skis in the air more. It darn near wheelies up hills (without a turbo) yet not the typical "trench" wheelie that leads to a stuck. Sometimes it looks like a snowbike track in the snow.

Premium Features