• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any MOUNTAIN BIKERS on the forum???

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Seriously thinking about buying a Specialized Turbo Levo Comp electric mountain bike.
Wondering if we have any users of this bad boy here on the forums?

1591116701830.png

S
May 2, 2013
Colorado
Margins are thin. Maybe not as thin as a sled but pretty darn thin. One dude who has one is a multi sport athlete with a grip of sponsors. Likely he gets to "demo" it for 6 months. Not bad

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Ridden lots of mountain bike in my day, was pretty handy on one in younger years...although definitely not much the last decade. Hopped on an e-bike for the first time last week (my friend's). It was a Specialized, and at a glance I'd say it's similar to what you're looking at. The drive system was impressive - it really kicks along in the faster modes (turbo and something else). First impressions would be that it would be a great XC/all mountain bike, and a not-so-go DH / play around bike.

Depending on what type of riding you like - one thing I noticed right away was that the brakes weren't all that impressive. I remember the 8" Hayes on my old DH bike being impressive, but it could be too many years riding "DH" on a KTM with Brembo's has spoiled my perspective lol. Another note (guessing this is the same with all e-bikes) was that the front end winds up very heavy. Had to really try to get it up for a wheelie, and I'm not sure how drops or jumps would go....I'd want some good speed and a small drop the first time, that much I can tell you lol.

So on one hand, it would make the perfect DH bike for a lazy guy like me (no peddle-up or truck shuttle needed), but on the other hand it doesn't feel/ride like a DH bike, so it would only be good for a not-so-aggressive DH rider. And if you're buying it for an XC bike....isn't the peddling up aspect part of that? So I was left with equal parts...."this is super cool" and "I don't get it." But my MTB'ing these days consists of putting around with my kid, and busting out a good 6 beer wheelie on a borrowed bike a couple times a year for a party trick, so take that with a grain of salt lol

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Margins are thin. Maybe not as thin as a sled but pretty darn thin. One dude who has one is a multi sport athlete with a grip of sponsors. Likely he gets to "demo" it for 6 months. Not bad
Honestly kinda surprised to hear that.
I would think retail high end Bikes would offer dealers pretty solid margins?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Ridden lots of mountain bike in my day, was pretty handy on one in younger years...although definitely not much the last decade. Hopped on an e-bike for the first time last week (my friend's). It was a Specialized, and at a glance I'd say it's similar to what you're looking at. The drive system was impressive - it really kicks along in the faster modes (turbo and something else). First impressions would be that it would be a great XC/all mountain bike, and a not-so-go DH / play around bike.

Depending on what type of riding you like - one thing I noticed right away was that the brakes weren't all that impressive. I remember the 8" Hayes on my old DH bike being impressive, but it could be too many years riding "DH" on a KTM with Brembo's has spoiled my perspective lol. Another note (guessing this is the same with all e-bikes) was that the front end winds up very heavy. Had to really try to get it up for a wheelie, and I'm not sure how drops or jumps would go....I'd want some good speed and a small drop the first time, that much I can tell you lol.

So on one hand, it would make the perfect DH bike for a lazy guy like me (no peddle-up or truck shuttle needed), but on the other hand it doesn't feel/ride like a DH bike, so it would only be good for a not-so-aggressive DH rider. And if you're buying it for an XC bike....isn't the peddling up aspect part of that? So I was left with equal parts...."this is super cool" and "I don't get it." But my MTB'ing these days consists of putting around with my kid, and busting out a good 6 beer wheelie on a borrowed bike a couple times a year for a party trick, so take that with a grain of salt lol
My intent with this is to take it up into the same areas that I sled in the winter to ride and explore in the summer.
So plans for any street riding at all.
It will be a purely off road mountain bike.
My guess is it will see a LOT of Forest Service Trails in South Eastern Idaho and Western Wyoming.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Chris, before you drop that much coin on a bike shop brand, look into some of the direct to consumer brands like YT and Canyon.
My wife and I have been running analog YTs (Jeffsy models) for years and they are great and 70% the price when comparing spec to spec with Specialized (and they go on sale for 10% - 15% off fairly often so we really were close to 60% for the same spec bike). YT makes an eMTB Enduro model called the "Decoy". This year, they have a second flavor of the Decoy, an All-Mountain to go with that existing Enduro/downhill model. And two specs/builds for each version for a total of 4 eMTB models. I've ordered one of the 29ers.

A quick comparison of the Specialized Levo Expert Carbon shows it at $8,275 and the similarly equipped TY Decoy Pro (which is actually equipped a bit better) at $5,499. Drop down to the Turbo Levo Comp at $5,975 and the comparable YT Base 29 is $4.399. That carbon framed YT is even a fair bit cheaper than the Specialized Turbo Levo ($4,975) with the alumimun frame and much lower spec equipment. And you are not settling for a subpar bike with the YT (or most other direct to consumer bikes). They are amazing builds with top notch name brand components. They can simply sell for a fraction of the bike shop price because they are direct to consumer so no bike shop middleman. Some people feel bike shop support is worth the higher price. I work on everything myself so no value there for me so why pay 30 - 40% more for something I won't use. Everyone is different and has to determine what they value. Heck, the top of the line YT Decoy Race is race spec and $6,599 vs specialized S-works Turbo Levo at $12,075. Amazing price point for the similar components on each.

For the Decoy, see this page. Then pick Enduro or All-Mountain to see the models/colors. https://us.yt-industries.com/cat/index/sCategory/73537 I'm not affiliated at all. Just have loved the YT bikes we've used and continue to buy more. Canyon and other direct to consumer brands are worth checking into as well.

And yes, margins are thin on bikes just like they are getting slimmer in the powersports industry. I have a relative that manages a non-chain sporting goods shop and they carry Specialized. Was going to get the family and friends deal on a specialized analog bike a few years ago. That reduced the price down about 10% on a current model year bike which I thought was great since deals are few and far between. But I kept researching and the comparable YT model was more bike for about $1,500 less so that is when I took our first leap into direct to consumer brand...and never looked back. You can choose to spec the bike the same and get it for far cheaper, or if you want to budget and spend the same amount, get a bike that is speced at least 2 levels up from a bike shop brand and spend the same for much, much better components.

As for electric mountain bikes in general, there are lots of great uses for eMTB and they can be as much of a workout as you want despite was some hardcore analog bike guys say. You just cover 2 or 3 times as much trail for the same workout.

My wife and I will have two use cases for our one inbound eMTB as my wife and I both, luckily, ride the same size large frame. Sometimes she will ride the eMTB with me on the analog MTB. This so we can ride further and faster and she can keep up. Other use case is me riding the eMTB and her on either the atv or our little "Surron X" electric motorcycle. This should prove to be challenging training rides for me!

We'll still do rides with both of us on analog bikes, but this will allow me to work a lot harder with her keeping up. Should be a hoot.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Finally got a chance to take the new bike out for a first ride.
What a TOTAL KICK this thing is.
Jeez, with the boost on going uphill is just too stinking easy!
This has all the makings of a GREAT way to pass the summer.

Once all my gear finally arrives, it will be time to go hit the local Mountain Bike Park.:)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Looking forward to being back on my bike this summer after all the spring sledding has come to and end.
Planning ahead for May now..

J
Mar 20, 2023
Chicago
Looking forward to being back on my bike this summer after all the spring sledding has come to and end.
Planning ahead for May now..
Me too! Last summer, I managed to ride a bike only a few times because I broke my leg, and it was pretty serious, so I missed a lot of time. Then I went to visit my family, and also couldn't ride it, but I have a lot of plans for this summer

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Me too! Last summer, I managed to ride a bike only a few times because I broke my leg, and it was pretty serious, so I missed a lot of time. Then I went to visit my family, and also couldn't ride it, but I have a lot of plans for this summer
we bought three new bikes this winter for the coming season.
Specialized had a VERY good sale runing mid winter

327455445_6125168664200079_8081647784193594417_n.jpg

Premium Features