• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any baofeng experts on here

C

chaddo

Dec 20, 2007
Hey guys got couple questions regarding the programming of these baofeng. Want to make sure I got all frequencies that I can into this radio Then compatible with everyone Message me Thanks guys

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I am no "expert", but maybe this info is useful. Use this program (CHIRP - link below) to program the Baofeng radios. This is the best one i know of, as it explains everything from connecting the programming cable, to the actual programming itself. There is a bit of a learning curve, but it is easier once you do a few.

Get CHIRP here
https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

Programming Baofeng Radios
https://youtu.be/-cUmyElf1MI

Last edited:

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
The tone squelch, ctcss, sub-channel, is sometimes difficult for radio newbies to understand. So, take five minutes and read this.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_Tone-Coded_Squelch_System

Also, in chirp you can find the frs and murs channels are already there waiting for you to dl into your radio. You can also load the noaa weather channels.

The 7" antenna that came with your radio is a good antenna, contrary to what some will say.

Place your radio in your pack so that the antenna is sticking out through the zipper. Use a bread tie to hold the zipper tabs together.

The uv5r series/style radios have a key pad lock. Find it and use it.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

MNBlizzard

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
Duluth, MN
Perfect timing and thanks for the links...I just picked up a couple of these to use this year.

I need to read up on the radio use jargon a bit more and will attempt to program the BCA frequencies along with NOAA and possibly a few of the local forest service office in my intended riding areas. (This probably will not be my last post on the subject.)

MNBlizzard

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
Duluth, MN
I've got my two radios working. I programmed the BCA Link channels on first, then a bunch of the FRS,GMRS channels, and NOAA.

I found that the BCA "open" channels, (A&F) without private subchannels were the biggest headache using CHIRP software. At first, I only had one way communication from the Baofeng to my regular Motorola walkie talkies. Once I found the correct setting in CHIRP all is working. Final test is to try against a BCA radio but I do not suspect any issue.

The Baofeng UV-5R seems to be a very robust radio and will be used also in the summer as a marine radio.

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
I had trouble getting the Chirp to work on my computer, so I ended up just programming a few channels by hand. Is there any way to get all of the frequencies from you to program into my radio?

E
Sep 12, 2008
N 45°31', W 94°14'
What kind of computer? Mac or Windows, then you need a programming cable, make sure its genuine, lots of counterfit stuff out there. Chirp software has a dropdown menu that has all the channels preset. You just select them,do an import and that puts them into your radio.
Look on Youtube, search How to install and run chirp on windows or mac. There is a bunch of videos that if you take the time to follow you will get it done.

Nov 13, 2008
Those of us in my group that have the baofeng have programmed all the bca channels into our radios but the problem is everyone is on bca radios so you still end up sharing the channel. Best bet is to just try to convince everyone you ride with to get a baofeng and use a frequency that bca doesn't use.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Here is a programming table I made for the Baofeng radios ...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fz_VOE9mPl1byWx1uBIcbuOQ2LbDIqeY/view?usp=sharing

The Baofeng UV-5R has memory for 128 channels, so I just put all the basic FRS, GMRS and "Popular" snowmobile channels in, then the rest is just a combination of the first 14 FRS channels and 5 CTCSS codes per channel.

Basically it gives you 128 channels to pick from and since Baofeng radios can monitor dual channels, you can listen to the general chatter on "4-20" then only transmit on your group channel.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
Here is a programming table I made for the Baofeng radios ...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fz_VOE9mPl1byWx1uBIcbuOQ2LbDIqeY/view?usp=sharing

The Baofeng UV-5R has memory for 128 channels, so I just put all the basic FRS, GMRS and "Popular" snowmobile channels in, then the rest is just a combination of the first 14 FRS channels and 5 CTCSS codes per channel.

Basically it gives you 128 channels to pick from and since Baofeng radios can monitor dual channels, you can listen to the general chatter on "4-20" then only transmit on your group channel.
What's this 4-20 thing?

TimG

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Download the Baofeng manual from the Chinese Radio Documentation Project. It’s written by an enthusiast and is a million times better than the one that comes with it. Then just program in FRS and GMRS channels. Get the BCA guys to use straight channels only, no CTCSS codes. Or you can program in some CTCSS codes, but you have to make sure the BCA guys use those same channels all the time.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
Download the Baofeng manual from the Chinese Radio Documentation Project. It’s written by an enthusiast and is a million times better than the one that comes with it. Then just program in FRS and GMRS channels. Get the BCA guys to use straight channels only, no CTCSS codes. Or you can program in some CTCSS codes, but you have to make sure the BCA guys use those same channels all the time.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
YES! What he said!
Programming simplex channels with, no tone, is easy from the key pad.
Don't forget about the murs channels....

Premium Features