• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any 2moto guys here

S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
don't let them hassle too much NOOB, I like the white clean look.

K so, if it isn't going to put down deep pow it is time to work out the frustration on the bike. Fork is rebuilt and I'm thinking Sunday is a good day to do some single ski action.

any of you guys around the SE idaho area want to link up? The last few trips have been with sleds and thats fun but I'm lookin to get a couple bikes together.

Hey, anybody know where I can buy long (custom) brake lines? Getting tired of the back brake lever turning into a block of ice and leaving me without brakes. not a big deal until you need them on the trail...:face-icon-small-dis
Thinking the front brake caliper with a long line to the track brake is an easy fix.

Hey Brett, if you're reading this, I'm having a little prob with setting up the suspension. Last ride I was dying for my steering damper cause on the trail the GENII was a tank slappin' biotch! idea? gonna be over here anytime? love to have you ride it. maybe it's me.

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
sledhauler, I kind of figured a guy might have problems with the brake and even the shift lever possibly icing up. what are you guys finding and what are some of the remedies?? I see some screen type material on some of the units on the intake side. is this to prevent too much snow from being injested or keeping the air intake away from those powder days??

R
Nov 26, 2007
Sylvan Lake
Brett at 2moto said that the 300 will handle the track. It has more horse power than the 450's do. I have found out that the 300 walks all over my 450 in every situation but sand. The 450's stable stance beats in in the sand.

hmm.. that's what i was wondering sold my 450 and bought a couple 300's really love them in the woods but not sure they have the tourque for the 2moto kit.
I gotta ride one of these!!

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Just took up highs kawi out for a boot and can't wait to try them out tomorrow

S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
Ya NOOB the brake lever (and the caliper/disk) get covered up pretty solid with ice by the end of the day. I tried to "pick it clean" a couple times when we stopped during the day but by the end it was still solid... I'm gonna try to find a long brake line that I can use my hand brake (normally front brake) to hook up the back brake. I think that may help but not sure if it will fix all the issues of a deep day or when you blast out tons of miles on the trail to the truck.

as for the screen on the side of the bike. It seems most guys are putting it on the side opposite of the pipe. this varies by bike but basically, the pipe melts that side of the bike and the other side loads up pretty quick. Brett recommended "pet safe" screen material and it works well. I took a little while to figure out how best to attach it and ended up wrapping it around the back and included the a little protection for the carb. You DEFINATELY don't want to have snow sucked into the carb! You should be using a filter sox like the SLP vents for sleds that let air in but not snow or water. I check mine during the day and it ices up a little but not bad. If it were totally covered in ice the motor would really struggle to breath... that why I check it.

I'm not the "know all" guy on these yet but starting to figure somethings out. you guys should share your "work arounds" so we can all benefit from good ideas.

Now enough talk, lets go ride... there is even more to learn about that part of these kick azz machines and its tons of fun! like the whole mountain is a big motox park with a soft landing when things go wrong :D:D

Hauler

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Just got back from out first ride and these things blow on the icey, bare, hard pack conditions. but saying that I'm glad we did a first ride on both conditions with some decent drifted trails. what a learning curve. on the icey hard pack it felt like the ski would wash out if you went to fast. on some of the dirt and rocky terrain(snow is crappy here right now) the ski felt like it binding and grabbed and was very difficult to do anything. by the end of the day I could get around ok on these conditions, but I dont' think up-high and I will go out again until we get some more snow.

onto the highlights of these kits. I am blown away by how well they work in the snow(when we had the chance) we had a buddy on a quad that had to wait at a certain point while we found some decent snow and he couldn't go in. they get around very very well. what I found is a guy needs to ride it hard and with confidence. you have a harder time running around in 1st gear lugging and fighting with the bike. you need to put it in second and trust your motocross skills(if you've ridden a bike) and kind of go for it. up hill and with a couple to three foot of snow this thing rocks. just motors right up. on the trail I was getting a little cocky and jumping off drifts and testing my limits. when going down hill or down the trail you can't let off the throttle and coast down. the engine break along with the ski makes it very difficult, almost feels like a binding effect. I'll have to learn to keep on the throttle. overy all I'm excited to hopefully get some decent snow and go back out. gonna be a couple more rides I'm sure before we get the hang of it. should be alot of fun.

is there any adjustment secrets you boys have for the front ski?? probably one of my main beefs to try and figure out??

S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
agreed man. the trail manners on these can be a challenge and other than the guys the ride all the time (and sell them) most people say they hate to cross pavement or ice... count me on that list. but in the 2" plus of snow this system is a blast. on the trail sections I have taken to looking for any area (even small) on the side to get to. it will hang on any side hill or sluff without even thinking about it. seems like the GENII ski darts more on the trail than its little brother. normally darting is an annoyance on a sled... on a bike it can cause significant emotional events! haha its all about the fact that you have to balance a bike or be thrown on the ground.

glad you had fun. you're right about the learning curve... the more you ride the better it is.

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
agreed man. the trail manners on these can be a challenge and other than the guys the ride all the time (and sell them) most people say they hate to cross pavement or ice... count me on that list. but in the 2" plus of snow this system is a blast. on the trail sections I have taken to looking for any area (even small) on the side to get to. it will hang on any side hill or sluff without even thinking about it. seems like the GENII ski darts more on the trail than its little brother. normally darting is an annoyance on a sled... on a bike it can cause significant emotional events! haha its all about the fact that you have to balance a bike or be thrown on the ground.

glad you had fun. you're right about the learning curve... the more you ride the better it is.

too bad your so far away. we'd have to hook up to do some riding. I can't wait for some snow to go and rip on this. talked to 2moto today and he said if you adjust the ski to the furthest back position that it will help trail manners a little bit. I'll have to give that a go.

M

mtnjunkie

Mar 2, 2008
Hey I just saw this thread. My brother just put a kit on his bike, but it's not 2moto. It called SwitchTraxx I think? He's liking it, can sidehill anything. Deep powder it's not as good as a sled it seems, but he's been working on the ski setup. What came with the kit wasn't working very well and he's tweaking on it.

S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
ya NOOB i saw your post on the 2moto site about ski setup. I asked for a little clarification on there but sounds like you already got it... so are we saying that if you move the ski back (ie. the back of the ski moves toward the rear skid/carriage) it will have better trail manners? what is the cost of that? worse powder performance?

mine sucks now on the trail with the gen2 ski but even with the little version it darted some. now it tries to tank slap and throw me into the trees! hoping to fix that someday soon.

i da ho fo sno on the other site.

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
ya NOOB i saw your post on the 2moto site about ski setup. I asked for a little clarification on there but sounds like you already got it... so are we saying that if you move the ski back (ie. the back of the ski moves toward the rear skid/carriage) it will have better trail manners? what is the cost of that? worse powder performance?

mine sucks now on the trail with the gen2 ski but even with the little version it darted some. now it tries to tank slap and throw me into the trees! hoping to fix that someday soon.

i da ho fo sno on the other site.

no cost in moving the ski back from what ramon said. there is adjust ment in the bracket that attaches to the brake assembly on the fork that has some adjustment. I'll give it a wack.

S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
Alright man, I rode Inman today and put about 30 miles on. REALLY bad trail condition up and down but the rest of the mountain was fun. Sled guys I was with were blown away that I could go pretty much anywhere I wanted. big time hero snow today.

Put the GEN I back on and it was a little better on the darting thing. no prob with the back brake. Seems that rear end has a hard time settling down on the trail woops. If i pound into them like a motox track it makes about 3 woops in and then deflects. I'm gonna try to soften the fork a little and see if more travel will help... it would be great if there was "normal" setup to adjust from instead of all this hit and miss stuff. I know every guy sets up his bike a little different but there are some common "rules of thumb" that you can start with...

all in all a good day.

hauler

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
sorry for the late post, but up-high and i got some real good time in on our bike about week and a half ago. these setups are a blast in the powder. we had to ride a few miles in and out, but it was night and day difference on how well we did compared to the first time riding. once in the deep snow, it was an absolute blast to ride. Can't wait to go back out. for the trails in and out, it was alot easier the 2nd time, but still would like to test out some different setups for a better ride on the trail. I did find a couple of stumps and currently recplacing some parts.

what are you guys doing to start these hogs up for the first time of the day. I about gave up and loaded the bike back up. prob 15 minutes of kicking to get her going.

S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
normally i just hit the "magic button" hahaha i make sure to start it at home in the garage if possible and let it warm up real good before loading. other than that, mine starts even if the batt gets too cold to crank. think the most i've kicked was 4-5 times?? not bad. maybe your carb needs a little tweek. also, lay it over to the side (left side for me) pretty far and then back up to flow the bowl. you will likely see fuel come out of one of the hoses and thats what you're after... unless you are on of the fuel injected guys... in that case I hate you! j/k

see ya,

SH

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
went riding Saturday and fired the bike up in the garage before I left. trailered up in a cargo trailer and she fired up 3rd kick. what a difference. snow was perfect conditions for the bike. too bad up-high was home sucking his soother, missed out on some of the best riding yet(my third time out.lol)

B

Blaser

Feb 24, 2004
Idaho
www.2moto.com
Hey guys

Please call me or email me brett@2moto.com ANYTIME you have questions about setup or anything 2Moto related. I'll get back to you asap.

Just like with tires, proper suspension set up is crucial. Jetting your bike properly, and learning the 4 stroke starting procedure helps.

Start with the small shock. set it to soft (lefty loosey). Then work on the Ohlins. Set your static sag to about 3.5 to 4 inches in the shop (tighten or loosen your yellow primary spring). Make sure to use some penetrating oil on the shock threads BEFORE turning the nut. Then when you're out on the hill/trail, tune in your compression/rebound. 2 or 3 clicks can make a big difference.

Rebound is on the bottom of the shock shaft (black knob). set it all the way loose (left). Turn your compression (slotted screwdriver, on shock reservoir) all the way loose. Ride the same section back and forth a few times, adjusting compression until you find where you like it. I like to go full left, ride it, then full right, and ride it. That way I get the immediate change, and know what it feels like. Then work it 2 or 3 clicks at a time until you like it. I set my comp, then move on to rebound. Do the same thing.

I like to set the shock for the whoops on the trail, and you should be lightly bottoming off your big jump- using all the travel. I figure if I set it up to rip the trail, it will work off trail as well.

Forks- I like them stiffer, but it's personal preference. I'll stiffen the compression at the trailer if I'm going to be jumping, riding the trail, or doing steep down hills that day. Basically I want the front end to resist diving if I chop the throttle in a turn on the trail. I also don't want it to dive if I drop a cornice with the small ski. And I like my forks stiff in the summer, too- helps ya hit those whoops faster.

Hope that helps.

We're likely heading for Eastern Idaho this weekend. That should make one of you happy-
Trying to get to Canada again. All the guys from Calgary are heading to Big Iron. Noob- you guys should go with them! It'll be an eye opener for sure. And you'll be able to compare your bike set up to theirs-

Last edited:
S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
Thanks Brett. i'll try some of your suggestions and go from there. like i said the "darting" thing on the trails is really the only thing i'm looking to fix. other than that, i'm having a blast on it!

sorry i couldn't link up with you guys this last weekend. did you end up coming over? i saw the huge new snow in the trinities and mccall and went from "no plan to ride" to packed and driving to boise in under 2 hours... just couldn't take it anymore with this lame winter on this side of the state. it was well worth the drive both in snow and friends. hope we have a chance later this year.

Brad c

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Hi Guys

Just found this section..Been posting in the SH forum, but the majority there are a bit to narrow minded. Ive been riding my 2moto for about a year.. Love it
Ive found that practice really helps, it will get easier and alot more fun.
here is a vid from this last weekend at W Yellowstone Expo.The conditions where epic for the bikes, so much so, I had to stay an extra day!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhvTK1MBTF4&feature=channel_page

Premium Features