• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any 2 stroke TPI 250 or 300 builds out there?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Rumor is the TPI system will fit on the next gen BRC offering. Also there is a co in AUS that is working on TBI for BRC 500.

Yep rumors and rumors of rumors. (I talked with Will Riley for nearly an hour)

Someone has to be working on a tpi fuel/ timing tuner.

Then you can actually do proper on snow fueling.

I don’t imagine a cobbled together tbi setup from OZ will have a lot of on snow testing performed. ?

The ease of tuning fuel injection (no jetting, no icing, altitude adjustment, off throttle adjustments, 3d mapping, etc.) keep me coming back for more.

Riding sea level to 6k in one day makes it a must.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Is the TPI bottom end the same as the carb version or does it use a compatible gear set. It would be a little bit more complicated with the TPI injection pumps etc. but probably worth the effort to bite the bullet and split the cases then change out the gear set.

M5

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Might be quite a wait. So far, ktm is saying no plans. Close ratio bikes are closed course bikes so they don't have to meet any euro emission standards like their wide ratio bikes. Plus it makes the bikes weigh more. KTM is currently saying they were required to go fuel injected on the models they did and they don't plan on doing the motocross bikes. Might change down the road. Guess they will consider it depending on demand.
Totally...and pretty much only North America (and still a small portion of that) really has any interest/demand for the closed ratio MX/woods hybrids.

Fwd55

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2015
Laval , Qc , Canada
I just made the switch this season from a ktm 450 to a ktm 300 tpi and I am VERY HAPPY I run the timber sled RAW kit. I will say it might not have all the grunt of my 450 but it has 90% and it really does feel 100# lighter!! Crazy fun!
Mods:
1 I have a carbon fiber pipe guard,
2 skid plate,
3 home made engine blanket,
4 a radiator cap temp gauge,

Issues:
1 at -20 F it’s hard to start, but a hair dryer for 20 min to the engine fixed that.
2. Temps in the deep powder keep it alittle cold 100Fish thinking about making a foreword facing engine blanket to help, the bike runs great, it’s just the gauge reads low.

How would you compair you 300 tpi to the 450 on deep powder days ?

I
Nov 29, 2007
Last season I was on a TE 300 with a Lectern and carb heat. Had a mototrax 129 on the bike, and loved the whole set up. Switched from a FC 450, and couldn't be any happier. This year will be converting an XC300 for my son to ride since he out grew the CRF150r. Lot less hassle and waaaay more fun than the 450

Robster

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Sweden
Thanks for sharing this info. Is a thermostat only required if you are using coolant heated bars?

The stock thermostat in all KTMs work really well if you enclose the engine to prevent the pow from getting in. None of us have felt the need to change. Oil looks good and only need to let the engine idle for 5 mins before riding.

M
Mar 12, 2018
Sandpoint, ID
The stock thermostat in all KTMs work really well if you enclose the engine to prevent the pow from getting in. None of us have felt the need to change. Oil looks good and only need to let the engine idle for 5 mins before riding.
So a Thermobob isn't necessary? Just using a jacket on the engine? I'm just putting my 300 TPi together now.
Thanks

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I can tell you this.. my te300i hates to be cold with wheels and runs like total @%^&$& if it is not 130 or about... it also hates a cold pipe... when we would blow through snow berms with wheels it would not act right...I will be interested to here how it runs...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Boondocker99, what year is your 300? Xc or exc? What is temp range that it runs great? Any challenges with keeping pipe warm? What prior bike did you ride and how does the 300 compare? Thanks

B
Feb 18, 2009
Boondocker99, what year is your 300? Xc or exc? What is temp range that it runs great? Any challenges with keeping pipe warm? What prior bike did you ride and how does the 300 compare? Thanks
I have a 19 Husky TE300i which is basically the same as a 300 XC-W. This is the first snowbike I owned/built but road a couple different YZ450s before I built my snowbike. When I road those I knew I wanted a lightweight nimble 2-stroke. I did a ton of research and got a lot of feedback. There are plenty opinions each way but in the end there were enough people that I talked to who had owned 450s and went to 300s. I like 2 strokes, I like lightweight, I like simple rebuilds, and I like the 2 stroke sound. I also ride single track in the summer and really don't want to ride a 450. The 300 when running right with a high comp head and tune puts out about the same HP as 450 but lacks in the mid range torque so in the end you just need to shift more. I also still ride a sled which I prefer on deep days anyways so any argument about the 450 being better in the steep and deep is not important to me. This bike paired up with a CMX 129 rocks. I have no concerns with keeping up with a 450+TS which is about the most common setup out there.

The TPIs must be kept above 165 to run good so get a Thermo-bob and be sure to get 165 t-stat. Last year I ran a carbon pipe guard and SXS engine guard which worked good but I've got some plans to make a pipe/engine guard in hopes to put my muff pot on the pipe (one thing I really miss from the sled!).

If I were start fresh the only thing I would probably change is getting the TX with the standard tranny as most people say that works better. I'm going to drop a tooth this year and see what happens. I'm serously thinking about a BRC500 (tpi) for next year cause well you can't have too much power and with that I think this tranny will work the best as that should pull the upper gears fine.

Don't let anyone tell you a 300 tpi can't run with a 450 as that is complete BS! They probably road a 300 carb that was not running right. The 300 tpi works great and feels so much lighter than the 450s, even the race bikes that weigh the same as it has a lot less rotating mass and lower center of gravity.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I have a 19 Husky TE300i which is basically the same as a 300 XC-W. This is the first snowbike I owned/built but road a couple different YZ450s before I built my snowbike. When I road those I knew I wanted a lightweight nimble 2-stroke. I did a ton of research and got a lot of feedback. There are plenty opinions each way but in the end there were enough people that I talked to who had owned 450s and went to 300s. I like 2 strokes, I like lightweight, I like simple rebuilds, and I like the 2 stroke sound. I also ride single track in the summer and really don't want to ride a 450. The 300 when running right with a high comp head and tune puts out about the same HP as 450 but lacks in the mid range torque so in the end you just need to shift more. I also still ride a sled which I prefer on deep days anyways so any argument about the 450 being better in the steep and deep is not important to me. This bike paired up with a CMX 129 rocks. I have no concerns with keeping up with a 450+TS which is about the most common setup out there.

The TPIs must be kept above 165 to run good so get a Thermo-bob and be sure to get 165 t-stat. Last year I ran a carbon pipe guard and SXS engine guard which worked good but I've got some plans to make a pipe/engine guard in hopes to put my muff pot on the pipe (one thing I really miss from the sled!).

If I were start fresh the only thing I would probably change is getting the TX with the standard tranny as most people say that works better. I'm going to drop a tooth this year and see what happens. I'm serously thinking about a BRC500 (tpi) for next year cause well you can't have too much power and with that I think this tranny will work the best as that should pull the upper gears fine.

Don't let anyone tell you a 300 tpi can't run with a 450 as that is complete BS! They probably road a 300 carb that was not running right. The 300 tpi works great and feels so much lighter than the 450s, even the race bikes that weigh the same as it has a lot less rotating mass and lower center of gravity.

BRC is making a 500 for the 17+ motors now????????

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Boondocker99, thanks for reply. So your saying the TE has the same tranny as the xc. My understanding is that the tranny in the xc has a higher 1st and slightly higher second and 3-6 are the same xc to exc, parts fiche shows 3-6 the same part as I recall, 2020 parts.

So you think you might prefer the exc tranny because of the lower 1st or is there something I'm missing? I'm partial to the lower 1st as that's what I have in my 500exc.

How about fuel consumption? Any comparison to the 450 4s?

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I can tell you this my 19 tpi 300 with wheels was hard to get 50 to 55 miles on a tank with wheels on single track. I was under impressed with the milage.

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using Tapatalk

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Thanks wwillf01, that's not what I was hoping for. Fuel is heavy...

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Thanks wwillf01, that's not what I was hoping for. Fuel is heavy...
I would think it will get better overtime.. but man the 4 bangers get such good milage. We even had a 150tpi and had a hard time getting over 40 miles out of 2.2 gallons..

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using Tapatalk

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Yeah, I'm a 2s fan but, the only bike that has ever run out of fuel on one of our rides was a two stroke. I don't remember how much fuel he used but it was considerably more than 4s. Granted it was older with carb bike.

Premium Features