• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

anti-pivot riser?

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
i switched to a T-top steering post a couple seasons ago. oem post, oem riser, oem bars.

as i feared, i got into a situation where the riser pivoted on the post, and now the knurling is damaged.

this has been the theme every time i've tried using a pivoting riser. i've had some success with lock tight between the knurl and clamps, but it's not a perfect solution.

what's the answer here?
is there any hope for my steering post now, or is it best to start with a new one again?

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Before you try the locktite clean all the grooves of the knurling out with a pic. If it's real bad on the aluminum side you may need new.
I have the same problem first ride. I don't remember to use my legs to absorb most of the landings and fold it right over.
Next problem I have is over tightening and stripping out the riser. It's irritating.

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
yeah cleaning out the knurls was part of my plan.

i'm just wondering if maybe clamps with more surface area is the answer? if that exists...
i've never stripped out the holes in the riser, but i tighten the bolts as much as i can.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I keep an allen wrench in my tool bag for the bolts on my riser. Then if I hit hard enough to move it I can loosen it and rotate back without completely wrecking the riser or the knurling. When I get home I use a stiff wire brush to clean the aluminum out of the knurling then re-install the riser. If you don't do this it will keep slipping.

Someone suggested putting a piece of sandpaper or emry cloth between the post and the riser to help keep it from slipping when I asked a similar question.

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
yeah, i dropped my allen key into the engine bay when i needed it most. had to ride out of a tricky situation with my bars pulling back on me, before i could lay the sled over and dig it back out. i'd prefer to just not have my bars pull out of position in the first place though.

i like the emry cloth idea. thanks.

Premium Features