• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Another stimulus check!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Government wasteful spending is a fact. My wife works for the government. I've seen it. People don't know how to do their jobs. People get promoted to get them out of there.
That scenario is common in governments, even military.
Little oversight. Government is not the answer for everything. Everything needs cut until budget is in check and debt is paid. We are going down a unrecoverable road. Don't know where the line is but i bet we're close.
We have certainly already crossed that line. It's no longer a matter of if, it's now a matter of when.

S
May 2, 2013
Colorado
So much doom and gloom.

Regardless good discussion today thanks. Now to consider how to articulate those thoughts into actions. With Trump out and Mitch clearly the conservative voice how do you get the balanced budget knowing you have existing spending and the additional spending with the care package? What programs do you cut? Military since it is the largest bill? Which military program then?

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I'd call in all of my secretarys and tell them to work with their key people to cut 10% from every department. I'd make it clear that if they come back to me with the answer "it can't be done" that they would be done.
At 10% per year, the first couple years are very doable from the low hanging fruit alone.
The exception where I would entertain some discussion would be department of defense budgets.
I would make it clear that entities will operate responsibly and efficiently. No longer will there be waste simply because there are subsidies to make up shortfalls.
There will be no big ass bonuses for Gov workers or any contracting agencies.
The only hiring I would consider would be people to carry out my cuts.
The days of government employees having huge un-justifiable staff would be past.
I would treat the taxpayer's money as if it were my own. I would run the country like it were a business and the board of directors were looking over my shoulder.

I realize doing all of this with enemies fighting me every step of the way is impossible. But you asked so I answered.

S
May 2, 2013
Colorado
Awesome. Now how would you provide oversight? You can't do it yourself as your time as the leader would never allow you to since the federal government is too large. The military generally operates without that oversight.

What do you do for those government regions that clearly need increased spending? Let's say transportation as an example.

Did you know that Congress asked for a military budget decrease of 10% this summer but was voted down?

How would you create incentives to carry out your plan? Strong arm tactics generally don't work especially in the military program. Businesses use quarterly earnings reports as they are publicly traded. What could the federal government do to boost public perception and encourage growth?

How do you think lobbyists would interfere with your plan?

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
The welfare system needs a complete overhaul. There is zero incentive to get off all the programs they sign people up for. Heck someone comes in for help with one thing they sign them up for four more programs that they QUALIFY for. They then loose any ambition to get a job, because they would end up going backwards financially. But if you have another baby you will get a raise! I need to get a license to drive, hunt, and fish. I think if you want a kid you should have to apply for a permit to show you can afford one, and able to support it.

S
May 2, 2013
Colorado
But just because it seems impossible, doesn't mean we shouldn't try, right?
That's the spirit. Disagree on Trump though. He tried the bully technique and it only worked in some departments. The more entrenched were more powerful than him. Plus the closer it got to the re-election the less he cared about actually doing his job. Honestly he isn't a great CEO anyway. There are many better but they know not to get into the mess of politics.

S
May 2, 2013
Colorado
The welfare system needs a complete overhaul. There is zero incentive to get off all the programs they sign people up for. Heck someone comes in for help with one thing they sign them up for four more programs that they QUALIFY for. They then loose any ambition to get a job, because they would end up going backwards financially. But if you have another baby you will get a raise! I need to get a license to drive, hunt, and fish. I think if you want a kid you should have to apply for a permit to show you can afford one, and able to support it.
How much experience do you have with welfare? You seem to have an old school view of it. Like an Archie Bunker recliner chair style.

Do you know that welfare is a state run program and the very things you are saying are the problems are the exact tenets that they looked to fix in an law passed in 1996. That was a long time ago that they overhauled it.

I think I heard that joke you should have a permit to have a baby back in 1996 as well. Seinfeld?

Last edited:

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
How much experience do you have with welfare? You seem to have an old school view of it. Like an Archie Bunker recliner chair style.

Do you know that welfare is a state run program and the very things you are saying are the problems are the exact tenets that they looked to fix in an law passed in 1996. That was a long time ago that they overhauled it.

I think I heard that joke you should have a permit to have a baby back in 1996 as well. Seinfeld?
It still is not fixed!!!!

Premium Features