• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Another slide in mcbride

M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
RCMP are searching for two snowmobilers, thought to be from the Edmonton area, who were hit by an avalanche in British Columbia.

Three people were caught in the avalanche Tuesday, say RCMP. One man was able to free himself and was found Wednesday morning by other snowmobilers.

Search and rescue crews still have not been able to find the others.

The three people were driving their snowmobiles on Renshaw Mountain near McBride when the avalanche struck.

Officials have narrowed down the location, but on Wednesday determined the snow pack in the area where the two went missing is too unstable to enter.

They are asking everyone to stay out of the area while they conduct avalanche maintenance.

The names of the missing have not been released and the RCMP are in the process of contacting their families.

M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
One man is reportedly dead after an avalanche hit a group of snowmobilers near Kimberley, B.C.

RCMP and Sarch and Rescue workers were called to the scene of an avalanche in the Hell Roaring Creek, west of Kimberley, B.C., at about 2 p.m. today.

Five snowmobilers were riding in the backcountry area, when they encountered a slide. One snowmobiler was able to escape into cell phone range and call rescue crews.

Police stated in a media release that one man had been "buried for several minutes."

The remaining members of the group are safe and accounted for, said East Kootenay RCMP spokesman Chris Faulker.

Police, Kimberley Search and Rescue and B.C. Ambulance are still on the scene this afternoon.

The incident comes after two people were reported missing after one of their group survived an avalanche in McBride, B.C. Tuesday night. Search and Rescue are currently searching for the pair.

M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
thats 4 in 4 days..this is like the war. turn on the news and find out how many soldiers or snowmobiles died today

Y
I was in McBride on the weekend and rode the Renshaw on Saturday. I observed some really novice activity and won't be going back to that gong show for a while.

A snowmobile was broke down up on the slope to the right of the decent into the second valley, but they just kept working on the sled on the hill side instead of dragging it down to a safe area on the lake. I normally help but that spot was plain stupid. Worse yet all sorts of sleds including a Turbo Yamaha were curving above these guys and the whole thing was a time bomb. I never seen anything so out of control in a long time. I'm not risking my life for those idiots.

Earlier in the day I had stopped to tell a group to move back from the base of a mountain while they watched their buddy highmark, and they ignored me. What a bunch of dumb asses. I been riding for a long time and it seems a level of respect for the mountains environment has disappeared, and now lots of people are getting killed. You can't tell people anything.

T

turbo nytro

Dec 14, 2008
Alberta
Mcbride avalanche

anyone no any thing about this play safe out there

Yeh they were three friends , Jeff was cought up in it too , but dug him self out it was so strong from what he said it blew the pack right off of Shane & Corey was too deep for him to get too . Jeff spent the night up there trying his best to rescue them ....
Jeff come home safe & my thoughts & prayers r with Shane & Corey's family & friends .....

S
Feb 25, 2009
Prince George, B.C.
I was in McBride on the weekend and rode the Renshaw on Saturday. I observed some really novice activity and won't be going back to that gong show for a while.

A snowmobile was broke down up on the slope to the right of the decent into the second valley, but they just kept working on the sled on the hill side instead of dragging it down to a safe area on the lake. I normally help but that spot was plain stupid. Worse yet all sorts of sleds including a Turbo Yamaha were curving above these guys and the whole thing was a time bomb. I never seen anything so out of control in a long time. I'm not risking my life for those idiots.

Earlier in the day I had stopped to tell a group to move back from the base of a mountain while they watched their buddy highmark, and they ignored me. What a bunch of dumb asses. I been riding for a long time and it seems a level of respect for the mountains environment has disappeared, and now lots of people are getting killed. You can't tell people anything.

I totally agree with you on that one Yama....I think everyone now days with more money than brains are buying these high powered turbo sleds and it's basically a testosterone gong show out there. What about the clowns that race side by side up a hill? And keep ripping up a slope that looks very unstable and about to give away? I definitely think there is a correlation between the number of avy deaths and the number of new riders on high powered machines. It is giving our sport a bad name, and unfortunately it will probably mean the death of our sport.

S
Mar 23, 2008
anyone know who was involved in the kimberly avy? Being close to kimberley,it hits home hard. Just like sparwood.

-ONE FU**ING PERSON ON A HILL AT A TIME!
-DONT SIT IN RUNOUT ZONES!
-HAVE AVALANCHE TRAINING!
-HAVE THE GEAR, AND KNOW HOW TO USE IT!
-IF YOU SEE DANGEROUS BEHAVIOUR, DONT BE AFRAID TO TELL THEM OFF!
-LOOK AT THE AVALANCHE REPORTS BEFORE GOING OUT!
http://www.avalanche.ca/CAC_Bulletin_Regions
-EVERYBODY SHOULD SAVE THAT PAGE.

Lets not be ignorant. You dont only hurt yourself, you leave behind family and friends, and you change thier lives drastically.

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
Play safe the only thing that is going to happen with all these deaths is going to be more regulations. My heart goes out to all who have lost love ones this year, some deaths were probably avoidable but happened for a reason learn from it. RIP

X
Jan 20, 2008
P.G
Yeh they were three friends , Jeff was cought up in it too , but dug him self out it was so strong from what he said it blew the pack right off of Shane & Corey was too deep for him to get too . Jeff spent the night up there trying his best to rescue them ....
Jeff come home safe & my thoughts & prayers r with Shane & Corey's family & friends .....

Im sorry to hear about the loss of your friends, its really sad to hear about all these horrible deaths.

anyone know who was involved in the kimberly avy? Being close to kimberley,it hits home hard. Just like sparwood.

-ONE FU**ING PERSON ON A HILL AT A TIME!
-DONT SIT IN RUNOUT ZONES!
-HAVE AVALANCHE TRAINING!
-HAVE THE GEAR, AND KNOW HOW TO USE IT!
-IF YOU SEE DANGEROUS BEHAVIOUR, DONT BE AFRAID TO TELL THEM OFF!
-LOOK AT THE AVALANCHE REPORTS BEFORE GOING OUT!
http://www.avalanche.ca/CAC_Bulletin_Regions
-EVERYBODY SHOULD SAVE THAT PAGE.

Lets not be ignorant. You dont only hurt yourself, you leave behind family and friends, and you change thier lives drastically.

Like your sig. Those simple rules would have saved probably 20 deaths

When crossing through an avy chute , look up and only one person at a time.

M

Mcx Nytro

Nov 26, 2007
Vernon BC
5 Deaths near Mcbride

Just heard from a bud about 5 guys near Mcbride died in an avy. Anyone else hear anything??? I lost a good young riding partner about 8 years ago there.:face-icon-small-sad:face-icon-small-sad:face-icon-small-sad

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
I heard 15 people from 4 Different groups. 5 died all between ages of 41 and 55.

Very sad. Watched on the news yesterday

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
That's really sad.

A LOT of avy deaths in the last 10 days.

Something like 11 in 11 days in North America.

One in McCall today. I think it was a forum member.

D
Jan 16, 2014
Alberta
any slides in Fernie area?

Just wondering if there is any slides seen in the vicinity of the Pipeline or Notch. There's an unstable layer about three feet down, then another below that. Have they settled and firmed up enough or not is the big question.

I was up the Pipeline on 20th but we stayed away from any with a slope to it, there was enough snow we didn't have to go looking.

Premium Features