• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

another ski question

A
Nov 24, 2019
Hey guys i know these topics have been covered alot but would like to get some additional input! i have an 18 summit and was looking at installing some grippers or mohawks on it!

what do i need to buy to install the grippers on my sled! i like my skis centered so was thinking of buying the polaris spacers regardless of what ski i go with but was wondering if i needed diffrent bolts/bushings ect to make them work on my summit?

also for those of you running the mohawks or grippers on your summit how do you like them compared to stock? I guess over all im looking for a ski with a little better float and better in the back country

if you have pics with these skis on your 850s that would be cool id like to see

thanks guys

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Dura Pro makes direct replacement rubbers to put the gripper on a Scud without any other modification. Did that change this summer. Ran Saturday and all is good. I liked the SLP ski better but the rubbers blow out almost every other time since they are the rubbers for the Polaris ski and bracket. The rubber has a void in the back that moves to the front when you spin the SLP Polaris rubber around to work with Ski-doo G4 mount. That little void allows the rubber to rip pretty easy and fold the ski back. Haven't ran the gripper in any good snow yet to speak of so I guess I really can't comment too much on performance. I like the traction on the top and they were always a good ski for me when I rode Poo. If you go with the Gripper, definitely go with Dura Pro rubber.

E
Dec 19, 2007
Ran Mohawks on my XM and my G4 Summits, great ski and far better than the stock ones. I just used the Skidoo rubber from the XM's with the Mohawk saddles and worked fine. Never cut or broke one between either sled.

grich8888

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
Mohawks! SLP now has a new ski rubber that is much more durable and stiff. I use and love my SLP Mohawks but hated the ski rubber. The new (just came out Nov 2019)ski saddle rubber is as good as the durapro's we have installed on a different sled, they are stiff and will last. The Mohawks are IMO much better than the DS ski doo skis, especially with powder and floatation on the hill.

Last edited:

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I tried the Mohawks. Better on the trail but the DSs were better off trail for me.

I use the bushings from Ice Age to center my skis.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
really?? I figured the mohawks would be better off trail in the deep stuff that's interesting to hear

Not for me.

I've tried the Grippers, Mohawks and DS2s and DS3s. They are all pretty similar - not "way better" than the other.

For me, the biggest difference was centering the skis.

Premium Features