• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Another Front End Thread

J
Aug 7, 2014
www.facebook.com
Here is the picture from front suspension

0x5qpjKzcEZzSCRk2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/0x5qpjKzcEZzSCRk2

Last edited:

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
I installed the barcode kit on my 15. Haven't had a chance to ride it yet, but the difference is huge just tipping it in the shop. I am also installing some grippers before the snow gets here. For guys having clearance issues, you know you can flip the shock upside down! That would help some....looks kinda goofy but Alan at barcode always mounts his shocks upside down....

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Here is the picture from front suspension

0x5qpjKzcEZzSCRk2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/0x5qpjKzcEZzSCRk2

IMO that would clear with a zbros top 38" a-arm. Here's how close my full reservoir was to clearing. You might be able to flip the shock with the newer spindle too. There's more clearance around the lower a-arm mount for doing that (see photo number 3 of my first post). I'd let the air all the way out and cycle the suspension though and make sure the evol chamber didn't get up into the upper a-arm at full compression. I'm guessing fox still angled the evol chamber forward for that reason on the cat 36" kits (or it's just the part that was most available for them at the time).

Shocks 8.jpg

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Another update. It seems I finally figured out how to make this work! Was looking at it the other day and realized how much more clearance there is around the newer spindle at the bottom. Flipped the shock completely over and tried it. Fit pretty good at the lower end, but had a little interference with the evol chamber and belly pan at the top. A heat gun and a large diameter socket to re-form the belly pan and I'm in business!

The spindle just touches the shock at full turn with the ski off the ground. The shock has about 1/2" of space to it when it's rotated on it's eyelets. I'm going to put a small square of weather stripping on the shock right there so there's never any metal-metal contact.

Shock re-fit 1.jpg Shock re-fit 2.jpg Shock re-fit 3.jpg Shock re-fit 4.jpg Shock re-fit 5.jpg Shock re-fit 6.jpg

C
Sep 11, 2018
Atlantic Canada
what is all needed to make the grippers work with the 15 and 16 front ends?? Trying to decide what i am going to for a ski on my front end when i make the swap to the newer A arm and spindle. Also like the 38" stance, flat ground rider and a bit of trail ripping.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT

WhiskeyTee

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2013
Utah
Yup^^^
One day at Kebler pass, roughly an hour into my ride... I was enjoying some tight and twisty treed out slopage with some nice fallen log pillows to lift the skis over. It was amazing. Perhaps the best day of my life.

I just barely tagged a tree with the outside ski tip, and my forward momentum suddenly ceased.
Upon further examination, I determined that the left ski tip was now pointed directly at my exhaust outlet.

I was able to yank and bend the tie rod enough to allow me to ride out without too much drama. But it ended my riding for the day.

I had to settle for going home, drinking beer, and ordering parts.

This happened to me last weekend. Thought I was in bad shape 28 miles from the trucks. Field somewhat straitened the tie rod and rode rest of the day no issues other than noticing on the road ride out my handlebars were not straight.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I carry an extra one in my truck and have it occasionally in my back pack.
I’ve bent one pushing it backwards off the deck and the ski caught the ramp edge wrong and also turning around in heavy spring snow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

L
Feb 21, 2011
Kremmling, CO
I have an update to this. I got the 38" Zbroz upper a-arms and 2016 cat spindles and the arms contact the shock reservoir by fractions of an inch. I'm sticking with them and will run stock shocks for a while until I can upgrade again.

FYI:

I weighed the BDX spindles, hardware, upper arms, and brackets and it all came out to 8.62lb. That was with one of the thicker updated spindles and one original. 0.27lb difference between original and updated parts.

The cat spindles, zbroz upper arms, bolts, ball joints, and bulkhead brackets for the upper arms were at 10lb even. So less than 1.5lb heavier is all than what I had. I was pretty impressed with that.

Hey Boondocker... I know it's been a while but would value your thoughts on this setup. I'm thinking of going to zbroz uppers on 16+ spindles and wonder how they'll feel/if they're worth it. Mine is the 36" front but I would have to think the setup and feel is similar to your 38" front.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I don't think the feel would be any different on a Cat upper a-arm vs a Zbroz a-arm. Is that's what you're asking? I mainly went with the Zbroz arm for additional shock clearance over the Cat 38" 2016 geometry kit. Plus I got a deal on the spindles separately so I didn't really need to buy the whole Cat kit at the time and Zbroz offered the upper arms separately.

Last edited:
Premium Features