• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

##2021 Season Low snow mod update-video##Another (better?) no weld solution for tunnel shortening.

M
Jan 22, 2019
Denver, CO
I dove in and shortened with their tunnel cut kit. Had a coolant leak where the end caps connected and had to drain and use a lot more RCV. It held through a 3+ft weekend in steamboat last weekend but my buddy and I were going to do this as the “fix” if it leaked ever again. Still holding but might do it anyway.

Didn’t have any issues with cooling while on trail with the Nexttech ice scratchers. never over 120-130, 80-90 in pow and it was a wide open weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
I thought about doing that as well ... These things overheat so easily compared to doos ...

I was wondering how the MTNTK aux cooler would work when replacing the factory cooling system .... thanks for the update !

Running just the 5' cooler, no stock coolers at all, the sled runs 93-105 down the groomed trail at speed.

On slow, whooped out singletrack, not enough speed to throw up snow-- it runs 130-135.

In deep snow it runs 88 degrees.

I'm definitely happy with the result.

S
Dec 5, 2010
Sḵwxwú7mesh, BC
Running just the 5' cooler, no stock coolers at all, the sled runs 93-105 down the groomed trail at speed.

On slow, whooped out singletrack, not enough speed to throw up snow-- it runs 130-135.

In deep snow it runs 88 degrees.

I'm definitely happy with the result.

Perfect. My sled overheats on groomed trails going fast with scratchers down.

This may end up being an upgrade

Will probably go this route. Thanks for the update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Nice job Murph. A couple of us had kept this one quiet....There'll be no more summer time discounts on these coolers.

As for snow build up in the front, agree. Eric had a great idea for that and I used to have it bookmarked before this crappy forum change.

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan
I went a different route on shortening the tunnel/ cooler— also using MTNTK products. I liked it so much, I became a dealer for them.

I installed their five foot cooler and plumbed it in, omitting the stock cooler completely.

First I tested it without cutting the tunnel at all— to confirm cooling capability. After running the whooped out trail with no snow flap and only hitting 131 degrees, and then running between 88-93 degrees in deep snow, I took the plunge and made the cut (7”)last night.

Shortened tunnel ride today.
I really like how the center cooler keeps the center of the tunnel free of snow/ice buildup

The inside of your tunnel looks like its captured all the snow/ice that the outside of your tunnel used to collect, maybe even more.

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
The inside of your tunnel looks like its captured all the snow/ice that the outside of your tunnel used to collect, maybe even more.

Regarding snow buildup—It’s different.

Better or worse?— not sure. It’s funny when I park with stock Pros, They have snow build up in the center, none on the sides. Mine is the opposite. There does seem to be less buildup in the front of the tunnel by the drivers on my setup— pretty important in our wet coastal snow.

The ultimate setup might be a bulkhead cooler with a 3’ MTNTK cooler and the stock coolers welded up around the MTNTK coolers. Zero snow in the first 3’ of the tunnel and zero cooler running to the tail—-The only downside I can think of is the inability to throw snow on top of the coolers on a spring day. Maybe the bulkhead cooler would make that unnecessary.

Last edited:

A@ron

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2017
Wisconsin
after you made the cut did you rivet anything across the end to add any strength? Or just leave it and rely on the rear bumper to hold it all together. Awesome mod and thanks for sharing!

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
End of season update: I will be doing another little modification to help with the spring hardpack temperature regulation. I'll take photos when I do it.

I have a 2021 Khaos 165" on the way. I have a new MTNTK 5' cooler coming for it also. If you are interested, I'm a dealer for MTNTK.

A shortened tunnel, with the IceAge Khaos rails completely transforms the feel of a ProRMK. Way more playful/ fun. I just became a dealer for IceAge because I believe in the geometry change so much.

Premium Features