• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Another ‘19 850 Heads up

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
The harness from PI is to be available on 2/7/2020. Sensors are already available.
The bosh sensor has a different key spacing than the NAPA and Carquest knockoffs.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
My replacement (OEM Bosch) sensor started sending erratic signals to dash. Temp would jump 30 degrees instantly— up and down.

Investigated problem in shop and realized it is a loose connection at the sensor socket to pigtail interface. I might de-pin the connector to squeeze socket tighter or tin the blades on sensor itself.The current quick fix is two zip ties keeping tension on the plug to socket connection.

Attachments

• 312812BF-FFAC-421F-9281-1C0FD4C2D4FF.jpeg
    312812BF-FFAC-421F-9281-1C0FD4C2D4FF.jpeg
    697.9 KB · Views: 132

MTNRCR

Lifetime Membership
just put "non corrosive" silicon in the sensor socket then plug it in and let it cure. this eliminates the vibration of the male and female contacts of the connection. We have done this for years since the industry decided to make the connection right at the sensor that is mounted to vibrating member.

Last edited:

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
My replacement (OEM Bosch) sensor started sending erratic signals to dash. Temp would jump 30 degrees instantly— up and down.

Investigated problem in shop and realized it is a loose connection at the sensor socket to pigtail interface. I might de-pin the connector to squeeze socket tighter or tin the blades on sensor itself.The current quick fix is two zip ties keeping tension on the plug to socket connection.

two zip tie “solution” was a fail after 10 miles of pow bashing. Connection between pigtail and sensor doesn’t seem very good, also don’t like the 180 degree downward bend. Straightened sensor lead and looped it up over main harness. Worked ok rest of the day.

came home and tinned the socket blades with a little solder. Tough to push on now but there was a solid click. Pigtail still runs straight up. Sensor outputting ok in shop. More on snow testing tomorrow. ?✊?

cvcustoms

#getsomegetthere
Lifetime Membership
Sep 10, 2018
www.cvcustoms.com
Hi Cole:

That connector looks like the ones on my old Nytro....think I have a few left....yahoo...but do I need it????

Hoping you can help on this.....so I'm clear. The 2019 temp sensor is now the 2020 polaris temp sensor which is equivalent to or is the bosch sensor. So ...if/when my 2019 sensor fails, I will need a pigtail with the bosch sensor plug on one end and whatever plug/receptacle mates to the polaris harness on the other end......AND...it sounds like the 2019 and 2020 have different harness plugs/receptacles???

We do this on heavy equipment all the time, and it's always a PITA, but if I can figure out the pigtail, I can get everything prepped and made so it's an easy fix.

Thx OTM

Yes the 2019 sensor will be replaced with a 2020 sensor and harness. The 2020 harness will plug into the chassis harness on both model years. If your sensor fails it will be covered by warranty but with all of the failures might not be a bad thing to do. Here are links to two amazon parts that I have found to be compatible with the factory sensor and new plug... with the harness you will either have to buy the plug end or cut and splice using the bad sensors wiring. I have tried many “compatible” sensors but the factory part and the one below are the only ones I have found to fall in the spec...

Disclosure: The compatible sensor below has Bosch and the part number stamped on it but does seem a bit “cheaper” made when comparing to the OEM part...but to get you out of the woods I think it will be just fine

Compatible sensor:

Unlimited Rider Thermistor Temp... Amazon product ASIN B07HH9RQLR
2020 compatible sensor plug:

Unlimited Rider For Polaris RZR... Amazon product ASIN B07PNNKYBD
Chassis mating connector:

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
came home and tinned the socket blades with a little solder. Tough to push on now but there was a solid click. Pigtail still runs straight up. Sensor outputting ok in shop. More on snow testing tomorrow. ?✊?

This method also failed. Ran a resistor again.

this is the new solution. Soldered the contacts directly to Coolant temp sensor and then 5 minute epoxy to backfill the plastic plug. (Couldn’t find any non-corrosive silicone in McCall). More testing tomorrow. ?✊?

Attachments

• 2BB0E972-C636-48A9-B9B0-D34F23F722AE.jpeg
    2BB0E972-C636-48A9-B9B0-D34F23F722AE.jpeg
    704.6 KB · Views: 141
  • 775C33C3-AFF8-4FEF-9A69-5C6984B75184.jpeg
    775C33C3-AFF8-4FEF-9A69-5C6984B75184.jpeg
    650.5 KB · Views: 140
S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
Have you checked the top yellow plug to make sure your not losing contact there too? Just heard of that spot too.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Murph

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Have you checked the top yellow plug to make sure your not losing contact there too? Just heard of that spot too.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

I did check that Sumitomo style connector. When I wiggle it, there is no change.

I think the problem lies in the Bosch connector being directly mounted to a high revving, high vibration engine.

hogracer

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 7, 2010
St Anthony Idaho
I just put the napa sensor and pigtail on my sled today as the stock was back ordered through polaris. I didn't realize that the napa parts were just about exactly double the money at 88 bucks for both. Is the napa a better, more durable solution or why are we not just getting the stock sensors from polaris.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I just put the napa sensor and pigtail on my sled today as the stock was BACK ORDERED through polaris. I didn't realize that the napa parts were just about exactly double the money at 88 bucks for both. Is the napa a better, more durable solution or why are we not just getting the stock sensors from polaris.

Changed your answer to all caps above.

cvcustoms

#getsomegetthere
Lifetime Membership
Sep 10, 2018
www.cvcustoms.com
I just put the napa sensor and pigtail on my sled today as the stock was back ordered through polaris. I didn't realize that the napa parts were just about exactly double the money at 88 bucks for both. Is the napa a better, more durable solution or why are we not just getting the stock sensors from polaris.

What was the Napa part number you used?

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
On my 19 I put rvt silicone around the wires near the base where they go into the sensor. Also loosened the bend on the wires a bit, was hoping to stop the vibration that I think is braking the wires. Knock on wood but its holding up.

MDEVO

Chic Chocs Addicts
Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2011
Oshawa, ON,Canada
Haven’t had an issue yet, but as precaution which is best method???
Silicone or dielectric grease??

Attachments

• 2AB94E9E-3CAE-40F8-9B32-82FA2F1CED56.jpeg
    2AB94E9E-3CAE-40F8-9B32-82FA2F1CED56.jpeg
    833 KB · Views: 55

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Lost one on my 2020 today. 448 miles. I believe the harness connector to sensor is losing contact. Poor pin tension.
Going to try and repin or add tension.

Premium Features