• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

America's largest owner of farmland is now Bill Gates

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Yep... another billionaire with too much time and money, seems he's got all the answers. Follow me, or will it eventually be, shut up and obey... Between congress and a handful of techies they're F'ing it up for everybody

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
We have so many enemies inside our own camp, and anybody raising that point gets silenced.
But don't worry, I'm just a conspiracy theorist.

:rolleyes:

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Two sides to this , the big manufactures like Bayer , aren't they manufactures of pain relief ?

Next time you go into a big box store go over to the isle that has fertilizers and insecticide and look for the bayer emblem on the insecticides . That aught to scare the crap out of ya , they kill more than just headaches ,pretty twisted .

This aught to throw a red flag also .

Some of the local stores will sell produce from the local farmers but the condition is what they don't sell is on the local farmers . Why is that ? If you have purchased some home grown produce have you wondered why you CAN NOT purchase this in the local store but they sell green labeled produce shipped in ? Food for thought :)

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
We have so many enemies inside our own camp, and anybody raising that point gets silenced.
But don't worry, I'm just a conspiracy theorist.

:rolleyes:
This is an honest question - not a political jab.

How do right wing USA'ers reconcile your distrust of someone like Gates (who's wealth and power is a direct product of largely unregulated capitalism), with your desire for unregulated capitalism? Using "you" in the most general sense possible.

In order to keep someone like Gates from making moves like this, you would need government regulation....but that would be at odds with a parallel distrust of government and, again, want for small government with limited power/regulation over capitalist ventures. Where does that all land?

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
This is an honest question - not a political jab.

How do right wing USA'ers reconcile your distrust of someone like Gates (who's wealth and power is a direct product of largely unregulated capitalism), with your desire for unregulated capitalism? Using "you" in the most general sense possible.

In order to keep someone like Gates from making moves like this, you would need government regulation....but that would be at odds with a parallel distrust of government and, again, want for small government with limited power/regulation over capitalist ventures. Where does that all land?
Great question.
Gates is not evil because he's wealthy.
In fact like everyone of us, he not all bad nor is he all good.
My point is to voice my concerns, and let others decide for themselves. That's the only leverage us common folk have is information. Few of us have no power, but many can make a difference. If not in this case, perhaps we can learn and not repeat the same mistakes.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Great question.
Gates is not evil because he's wealthy.
In fact like everyone of us, he not all bad nor is he all good.
My point is to voice my concerns, and let others decide for themselves. That's the only leverage us common folk have is information. Few of us have no power, but many can make a difference. If not in this case, perhaps we can learn and not repeat the same mistakes.
I don't think anyone is intrinsically evil/not evil because of wealth/lack of.

Even with good intentions, it's likely not ideal that 1 person (or group of people, or company, etc, etc) has so much influence over several major industries in 1 country. So at a glance, I don't think your concern is without merit.

What I don't see, is how to avoid this circumstance without government intervention and/or regulation - which goes straight against the conservative governance model. The same model that allows for this level of success in the first place. Just thought that was interesting - bit of a pickle.

stum1967

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central North Dakota
Bill Gates is no doubt a shrewd business man and must have a motive for buying so much land, but I would bet his motives have more to do with profit and control of market supply than protecting the nations food supply. Sounds like he has done quite well for himself during covid, all the working from home, home schooling, online everything has been a boom for tech, investing in vaccine companies, he might as well make money on the food as well.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Politicians have too much power...and we elect them.
I think that is my hard on against folks like Gates, Dorsey, Zuckerberg etc. They wield just as much power, but we did not choose them.
I don’t have a solution, but I am very confident that it is not a good thing.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
If you can't beat em, buy em.

Also been hearing rumors of Chinese buying real estate in recent months- specifically farmland.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
If you can't beat em, buy em.

Also been hearing rumors of Chinese buying real estate in recent months- specifically farmland.
Yeppers , no photoshop here 1614276782500.png
By the way , thier real estate agents don't mess around and thier contractors prefer cheap labor with the utmost high expectations .

Last edited:
S
May 2, 2013
Colorado
I hope Gates and others buy all the farmland they can. Convert it all to wind farms, hemp fields, and internet servers. Once we all have electric cars and trucks the mid west will just be remembered as a place people used to stop at for something called gas but it was in liquid form. Non stop coast to coast where the population centers are. Robots will tend to the farms and people will live underground as the earth will be too hot to live on the surface anymore. Lol I love that science fiction might be reality. Don't be scared. You can't turn it around now.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I hope Gates and others buy all the farmland they can. Convert it all to wind farms, hemp fields, and internet servers. Once we all have electric cars and trucks the mid west will just be remembered as a place people used to stop at for something called gas but it was in liquid form. Non stop coast to coast where the population centers are. Robots will tend to the farms and people will live underground as the earth will be too hot to live on the surface anymore. Lol I love that science fiction might be reality. Don't be scared. You can't turn it around now.
You're an idiot.

And the reason most people shouldn't reproduce.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
And you wonder why we call you PissFace?

Premium Features