• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Am I Reading The Law Correctly.

W
Jan 4, 2017
As long as your sled has a registration sticker that is valid from another state you Do Not Need any trail passes to ride South Dakota. Just want to be sure we are legal riding in the Black Hills. Or Iam reading the law incorrectly .Thanks Rick

cycloneracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Carson, Iowa
The Black Hills trail system does not require a trail pass. Just need your sled to be current on registration.

I can't speak for any other trail systems in SD.

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Lic.

If your sled is licensed in your home state, South Dakota will honor that license. There is not a separate trail sticker needed for out of staters to ride on the South Dakota trail system. So.. if your sled is licensed come on over and ride. If your state does not license sleds or you have an unlicensed sled you can buy a short term S.D.license at most of the businesses on the trail. I believe they are good for a week or so and cost $40.
Remember that in addition to having your sled licensed you need to have proof of liability insurance to operate your sled in South Dakota.

Last edited:
W
Jan 4, 2017
If your sled is licensed in your home state, South Dakota will honor that license. There is not a separate trail sticker needed for out of staters to ride on the South Dakota trail system. So.. if your sled is licensed come on over and ride. If your state does not license sleds or you have an unlicensed sled you can buy a short term S.D.license at most of the businesses on the trail. I believe they are good for a couple weeks and cost $40.
Remember that in addition to having your sled licensed you need to have proof of liability insurance to operate your sled in South Dakota.

Thank you for the info. That's awesome no trail pass. Why can't very state have that policy.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
If I am a south dakota resident, but have a non resident registration sticker on my sled from wyoming, colorado or wtv, does that work?

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I've seen the tags on facebook I know you've already been riding in the hills :eyebrows:

Haha honestly haven't ridden there in 5+ years Tommy, the black hills tag is just the ongoing joke. Might head out there for some beginner rider training though so wanted to see if non res permits worked.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Haha honestly haven't ridden there in 5+ years Tommy, the black hills tag is just the ongoing joke. Might head out there for some beginner rider training though so wanted to see if non res permits worked.

I was just out there and was well aware that the pictures you posted looked nothing like what I experienced :face-icon-small-hap. Can't wait till Spring Break to head further west! Not to mention finishing school this year and potentially moving to Colorado!

Who is the beginner though?? Got a new girl to teach?

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I was just out there and was well aware that the pictures you posted looked nothing like what I experienced :face-icon-small-hap. Can't wait till Spring Break to head further west! Not to mention finishing school this year and potentially moving to Colorado!

Who is the beginner though?? Got a new girl to teach?

Do it, not a bad place to live in that state sledding wise! HA, i know better than to get myself into something like that. Take them once and they'll want to go every time.

Premium Features