• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Aluminum debrie in bottom end do you clean/flush or tear down completely

Will it survive?

• Total voters
R

Rrrrrrandyw

Dec 9, 2010
Ogden, Utah
I have flushed a few and gotten lucky, but last year my wife's sled lost a piston and it was pretty bad, I turned it up side down in the solvent tank and walked over and turned it every few minutes. Looked good and clean, put it back together. Hauled it up to the mountain and unloaded it, fired it up, and the engine had a rattle. I had somehow missed a piece of piston in there. I told her just to ride it, it will either find its way out of a pipe or it will make its own hole in the case. It eventually quit rattling and has been fine ever since. But the wondering all day was too much. I got lucky. Next time I will tear it all the way down. Your choice, but I know what I would do.

M

Mcx Nytro

Nov 26, 2007
Vernon BC
know the obvious right answer here but here is the situation. I had a cylinder break small chunk of bottom skirt and chewed it up and spit it out the exhaust. Motor runs fine, no knock, no problems. I tore it down and found problem and going to replace the cylinder. Anyway, I was thinking instead of tearing the crank out and cleaning every part I was going to flip motor over and run solvent through to flush out any remaining particles. FYI, the crank rods and pistons are all OK and bottom end rolls perfectly freely and tight. Problem is only debrie. I know I know...to do it right pull it apart but in a hurry to get back up the mtn and was wondering what some of your success rates at this have been in the past? anybody??

I have not read any answers but I can only tell you my experience for what it is worth. I tried to save a few $$$ and just flush. It ran good for 5 hours and then BOOM!! :face-icon-small-sad Turns out there was a piece of skirt that finally got dislodged and then took out the bearing. It cost me a bundle extra in the long run:loco::loco:. I guess it depends on; if you want to take a chance it might be okay or;:face-icon-small-sho if you want to be worry free while you are riding:nod::nod: take it apart and spend a few more $$$$ to get peace of mind. I know what I would do but the choice is up to you Terry

Premium Features