• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alternative Impact vs Trenchers 39" A-Arms?

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
Looking to replace my SKS A Arms. I've been looking at Alternative Impact and Trenchers mostly.

Thoughts on these?

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I've ran a couple sets of Alternative Impact and they were always good. Customer service is also top notch, in fact some of the best around!! I cannot speak for Trenchers though.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
i needed some arms for my axys ,i facebook messaged dan at alt impact on a sunday he had the arms in my hands by tuesday morning , plus they look and work awesome .
it looks like trenchers is a canadian company so if you are in the us you have to deal with that

Track Man

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
Coppins Meadow
I have alternatives on all three of my sled. I love the feeling knowing that if I hit a rock and break a ball joint I can fix it on hill. I just ordered a set for my new Khaos and got it almost overnight.

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
I have alternatives on all three of my sled. I love the feeling knowing that if I hit a rock and break a ball joint I can fix it on hill. I just ordered a set for my new Khaos and got it almost overnight.
Exactly this. not only that, a medium sized impact will almost always let you re-tighten the stretched out joint, ride the rest of the day, and swap in your garage later. FOr the nasty ones, 10m on the hill and back in the game.

Any weight gain is irrelevent against the peice of mind and safety factor this setup brings in my opnion.

joeracing1

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 14, 2009
Trenchers is a really good product design in case of impact to break the ball joint instead of the à arm or bulkhead...a arm themselves are really strong and high clearance...I swapped from start my oem 36’’ for their 36’’ model and been really satisfied...carrying a spare ball joint just in case...plus for US guys the exchange is really good!
Don’t have any experience with alt impact but they seem to have more options than Trenchers color, style, material wise...

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

Old thread but still applicable for strength determination.

Trenchers are stronger........

W

wADVr

Dec 3, 2017
Three sets in our group of Alternative impact A arms. One running an older set bent the arm and was replaced super fast. Mine took out the lower heim joint as designed. I believe the newer ones are thicker wall material. Alternative impacts shipped everything extremely fast and had zero issue installing them. Will run the same on my next sled.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
I’ve run alt impact on three sleds. Dan’s service and speed at getting arms to you is the best part of this product. It’s also easy to access the ball joint if needed and swap on mountain. I have bent one arm and broke another with hard ski hits. Bent multiple ball joints. The spindle bushings also wear out easily and get sloppy.
I’m running trenchers arms this year. Quality, design, and finish is hands down better in all ways with these arms. The spindle bushings are a better design that doesn’t get sloppy like Alt impacts. The only concern I see is accessing the ball joint if broken. Depending on how it shears it could be hard to remove on the mountain. It’s threaded into the tube where the alt impact has the inner side of their ball joints exposed and accessible. I’m hoping that’s never an issue.
Personally I’m all in with the trenchers. They do take 7-10 days to get from Canada to Idaho, but I keep spares of any arms on hand anyway. So that’s not an issue for me.

Premium Features