• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha weight loss

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Im guessing the polaris is a chain case 3" model as well, which starts out at 433 lbs. I could be wrong but i mean that would be pretty apples to apples

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
All the Polaris fan boys will be here soon to correct you on the weights. Like we ride them with no fuel and oil or something....

Last edited:
A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
The one other thing that’ll loose weight is a single pipe, bonus with added hp!
I’d say the list...
Single pipe 6lbs
Can 14lbs
Lite hood 10lbs
Belt drive 6lbs
Bdx Trail tank and seat 6lbs

Those are the easiest and most bang for buck.

The bikeman pipe and y pipe is under 2lbs weight loss vs the stock pipe/ y pipe on a 2019 alpha.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
my alpha has been flawless, 978 miles, 0 problems....dependability is important to me as I ride solo about half the time...i have good survival stuff with me and a satellite communication device .... i could never ride poo without other riders...maybe just me, but who else matters or looks out for me more..:face-icon-small-dis

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Rest of the page
c7160b96435d81a21472e9d7be42ad8d.jpg

reduce

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
how does a Yamaha only gain 6.1 pounds compared to 15.2 on the alpha when they are the same chassis and the alpha has the mono rail that holds less snow compared to a two rail? neither have full length coolers. Yamaha has a smaller front mount vs the slightly larger length one on the alpha but that doesn't make it hold any more snow

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
how does a Yamaha only gain 6.1 pounds compared to 15.2 on the alpha when they are the same chassis and the alpha has the mono rail that holds less snow compared to a two rail? neither have full length coolers. Yamaha has a smaller front mount vs the slightly larger length one on the alpha but that doesn't make it hold any more snow

Maybe they were afraid to take it off the trail?:face-icon-small-hap

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Climbing 59 degree slope. Lol. Ok. Almost twice the steepness of Jackson Hole Hillclimb.
Fully aware of derailing this thread, what is max angle a sled can climb? I've thought about this lately and I couldn't find any info. Thx for the angle of the dangle info.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Like 20 lbs!

My 165 alpha was just over 540 wet with spare belt and tools. Without the spare belt and tools, the amsno weight is probably pretty close. The Polaris is almost exactly what I weighed a 163 3” chaincase axys at.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT

Read where the statement is going under the "important considerations" at the bottom of the image.

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
Read where the statement is going under the "important considerations" at the bottom of the image.

just on the weight different alone that's like 2.6 gallons extra of fuel burnt. now assuming that the alpha rail holds less snow then it would be even more than that, like 3+ gallons more. I wouldn't think it would burn that much more fuel. they should of fueled them back up before weighing them for a better comparison

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
They should have filled the sleds up again before the weigh in. If it were the snow build up they were after.

In the video cat did a couple years they did, they filled all gas tanks after riding

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho

American snowmobiler magazine, who did this "weigh off", lists Yamaha as one of their sponsors. Probably the same ones who put out the propaganda video a few years ago in a feeble attempt to boost Yammi sales. It backfired on them BAD back then, and no doubt will again this time. There is no way in heck either doo or the axys can hold over 4 GALLONS of WATER on them. That is equivalent to a small truck bed full of snow. Anyone in their right mind can see it's just not possible!! ALL brands DO accumulate SOME snow on powder days, no question about that, but not a fraction of what they want us believe.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
American snowmobiler magazine, who did this "weigh off", lists Yamaha as one of their sponsors. Probably the same ones who put out the propaganda video a few years ago in a feeble attempt to boost Yammi sales. It backfired on them BAD back then, and no doubt will again this time. There is no way in heck either doo or the axys can hold over 4 GALLONS of WATER on them. That is equivalent to a small truck bed full of snow. Anyone in their right mind can see it's just not possible!! ALL brands DO accumulate SOME snow on powder days, no question about that, but not a fraction of what they want us believe.

Simmer down, the Yamaha is still 90lb more in field trim than the Axys. No danger of them stealing your title of lightest mountain sled.

I've never really thought about it in terms of gallons of water being held on a sled. I do know that sleds packed full of snow are significantly heavier though. Especially if you start trying to move them around by hand. If they went from deep snow straight to the scales I bet there's two gallons worth of slush stuck to the cooler surfaces alone. Volumes of things can be very deceiving as well. Think about this: a cubic foot of water won't fit in a 5 gallon bucket and weighs 62.4lb.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I know at the end of the day my axys was covered in a ton of ice, probably from the cooler melting snow and refreezing

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I know at the end of the day my axys was covered in a ton of ice, probably from the cooler melting snow and refreezing

Mine too. I actually chipped all the snow and ice off after one ride, weighed it, and posted it in the axys forum a couple years back. Holds a ton more than my short cooler Cats ever have.

Premium Features