• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha weight loss

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Im on the fence between the alpha and an 850 axys. Obviously the price point is really good on the alpha this year. So where is the best place to lose weight and what are the best mods for this thing? And what model to snowcheck?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Diamond s can is 14.2 lbs loss in the alpha.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QMWP7Y4L8n0

Mtn valley machine has the lightest belt drive setup supposedly around 10 lbs weight loss.

Skinz seat is 3.5 lbs
Mtn fit headlight delete 4 lbs
Mtn fit polycarbonate hood is close to 9 lbs..

Those are the big weight savings for cat.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I am just about done pulling on skis that have loud aftermarket cans. I had the exhaust ski yesterday. Just about blew my ears out. They are going to have to supply ear muffs.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
The one other thing that’ll loose weight is a single pipe, bonus with added hp!
I’d say the list...
Single pipe 6lbs
Can 14lbs
Lite hood 10lbs
Belt drive 6lbs
Bdx Trail tank and seat 6lbs

Those are the easiest and most bang for buck.

E
Aug 28, 2017
Anyone running the TKI belt drive on an Alpha? Curious as to how durable they are compared to say the quick drive on the axys.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Anyone running the TKI belt drive on an Alpha? Curious as to how durable they are compared to say the quick drive on the axys.

Works great. Ran a TKI belt drive on my last three sleds, not one issue. Been on my alpha since the sled was brand new.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
The one other thing that’ll loose weight is a single pipe, bonus with added hp!
I’d say the list...
Single pipe 6lbs
Can 14lbs
Lite hood 10lbs
Belt drive 6lbs
Bdx Trail tank and seat 6lbs

Those are the easiest and most bang for buck.

That’s 42lbs. Getting the alpha really close to the Axys.
Pipe $400
Can. $500 ( Dia S Ti)
Hood $500
Belt Drive $800
Tank and Seat ? $500.
So let’s say $3000
Alpha 2020 $12,500
My buddy just snowchecked a Poo 850 163 2.6” cost him $14,700. So for less than a grand more you have Cat reliability, similar weight, similar hp, Alpha skid and powerclaw track. Me personally I’d rather have the Alpha stock, modded like this no contest.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I'll baulk at the cat reliability. Everytime I turn around there is some little thing wrong with my sled. Nothing major but always something.

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
I'll baulk at the cat reliability. Everytime I turn around there is some little thing wrong with my sled. Nothing major but always something.

You mean like my motor that just seized today??? Or the tunnel that bent when I was lifting it out of a trench 2 weeks ago??? Or maybe the grip heaters that stopped working on the coldest days in February??? Or that steering post bushings made out of tinfoil I have to replace every 8 rides??? Sorry, just clarifying when you said always something.

B

Boondockingak

I don’t own an axys or a doo, but the guys i ride with are always complaining about similar things. I think that most people agree that big ticket items like motors etc, cat has historically had very low catastrophic failure rates. Everyone is going to have motors that go down, that’s unavoidable, but I personally have never had a cat leave me stranded in the woods, nor anyone ive ever ridden with.. My alpha has been 100% problem free thus far, and runs great. I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had issues.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
a7ef6c35df5ac216ba56f51a820f25eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Goridedoo . . .What was the source of that graphic? This is reminiscent of the yamaha propaganda video of years past that tried to make other brand owners believe some sleds added like 50 pounds of snow weight. haha!

After a day of deep powder riding, with snow stuck to many locations on my sled, i have had it in the garage to melt out. I would estimate maybe a 1/2 gallon of water, perhaps a little more, on the floor from the snow melting. So, 33.5 pounds of weight (water) would be 4.2 GALLONS of water!! That amount of water is probably equivalent to several wheelbarrows full of snow.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
^^^ yeah them. Take the on the snow weight with a grain of salt. The twin rail Yamaha only holds 6lbs of snow? What do you expect though, there is no way to accurately measure and compare how much snow the sleds hold. That said I don’t think theres any denying that the Cat holds less snow than the other 2, theres no tunnel cooler and the monorail shouldn’t hold snow like a twin rail. I found the shop weights to be the impressive part, I figured the Cat was 20-30 heavier RTR.

Premium Features