• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

alpha vs mtn cat couldnt tell a difference.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
i have a 18 mtn cat and rented a 19 alpha for a day. I never felt that it was tippy or any easyier to ride. i liked it but i rode it just like my mtn cat and unless i had them side by side i didnt feel the difference. the alpha even had a belt drive but stock can and skis. my sled has ssi y pipe and pipe mod and a can with slp powder pros. I do think i felt like it kept more traction while doing a donut or things like that but if there were two sleds all things being equal and the twin rail was cheaper i would not hesitate to stay with the twin. I have nothing bad to say about the monorail i just have read and heard that people were tipping over and having a hard time right away and i didnt see where there was that much difference.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I have both an 18’ mtn cat and a 19’ alpha. IMO they are very similar. The alpha a little more playful in open terrain. The twin rail wins in super steep/technical sidehill terrain. Personally I’d like to see the alpha, 3.5” pitch track, in a twin rail option.

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
i have a 18 mtn cat and rented a 19 alpha for a day. I never felt that it was tippy or any easyier to ride. i liked it but i rode it just like my mtn cat and unless i had them side by side i didnt feel the difference. the alpha even had a belt drive but stock can and skis. my sled has ssi y pipe and pipe mod and a can with slp powder pros. I do think i felt like it kept more traction while doing a donut or things like that but if there were two sleds all things being equal and the twin rail was cheaper i would not hesitate to stay with the twin. I have nothing bad to say about the monorail i just have read and heard that people were tipping over and having a hard time right away and i didnt see where there was that much difference.
I didn't notice much difference either until I got into heavy snow, in those conditions I initially over-drove the sled (to tippy) but quickly compensated. I like it now. Easier to ride all day. Haven't had any track issues as others have mentioned but am concerned. Time will tell, you might want to wait until that issue is resolved.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
the new track on a twin rail would be nice. i think both sleds are awesome. i was really expecting a bit more difference, i am not dissapointed though. I think the transition will be easy if i end up getting an alpha down the road.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
The twin rail wins in super steep/technical sidehill terrain. Personally I’d like to see the alpha, 3.5” pitch track, in a twin rail option.

I think this is where you really start to feel the difference between the two, especially if it's variable snow condition in the steep/technical sidehill terrain. A foot + of fresh powder and it's not as noticeable but any thing less it is. Also it's more challenging following another sled in the steep; the Alpha prefers to make its own tracks but sometimes that is tough when the lines are limited. Just general boondocking and point-n-shoot climbing not a lot of difference other then the Alpha does climb higher.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
maybe next year they will offer it if enough old inventory is gone. all they would need to offer is two twin rails one with base shocks one with qs3's and two alphas keep it simple.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I didn't think there was much difference at first, probably the first few rides, but after logging some miles on the alpha, hopping back on a twin rail I can feel a difference. The alpha feels like it takes a decent amount less effort in most situations to ride than the twin rails. You gotta stay on your toes more with the alpha or she'll get away from ya in some instances.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
I didn't think there was much difference at first, probably the first few rides, but after logging some miles on the alpha, hopping back on a twin rail I can feel a difference. The alpha feels like it takes a decent amount less effort in most situations to ride than the twin rails. You gotta stay on your toes more with the alpha or she'll get away from ya in some instances.
^^^THIS is it. I have a 19 twin rail and a 20 alpha

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I notice a huge difference between the 2 except on the trail, there they are very similar.
Alpha washes out easily on hard snow. My buddies on their Polaris' will back up my statement. Its bad enough that i can't follow them unless the snow is deep, then the Alpha is a beast in all directions.

Alpha carves fast and easy.
Lean it over and hit the throttle and ur going the opposite direction instantly, that doesn't happen on the twin rail cat

Sent it

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Single beam should still be an option, not a given. The way AC has gone to like half a dozen sled models with a choice between a single rail and torsion spring suspension and only available on deposit is kind of a joke. I thought all that textron money was supposed to make things more marketable, not less.

At least AC is for the first time in like 15 years having engine troubles. There's always that.

Last edited:

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I'm surprised you didn't find much difference, were the front shocks on the alpha very stiff? I noticed immediately on mine that was a big issue on the more setup snow last spring. The sled takes a lot less user input than a twin rail to do the same. It's a lot more weight in the feet now and no longer leaning out as much and pulling on the handle bars as well. It was a big difference for me and took me a few rides to get "better" at riding it learning to not pull on it as hard as I'd be upside down lol. Pretty much the same complaint many had about riding the sled at first.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
i think you guys are right. it was a rental so it was probably set up for a normal guy and im 150lbs. my mtn cat is set up real soft and the alpha felt firmer. i didnt touch it since it was a rental. i liked the sled and was kinda happy it wasnt much different so the transition would be pretty simple.

F
Nov 5, 2017
Nevada
The wash out is real on the alpha, especially while riding a wheelie. It seems to side hill better through trenches. I'm talking about on hard snow.. But t other than throwing paddles off they seem about the same

Premium Features